Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

thinking of taking a long trip in '03 Boxster

We take our 98 986 w 88k miles on long trips and have had no issues. I do make a good check list before hand to inspect ALL of the fluids and pressure in the tires. I also take along 1 qrt of oil and a small tool kit (better to be safe than sorry) Other than that except for the the cramped qtrs it's a great experience. We recently upgraded the OEM radio to a new Pioneer head unit w/SIRRUS and it makes a world of difference when we are crusing on longer trips. When you do find some open hwy or a nice road with some twists it's allot of fun to enjoy the performance. Have a great trip.

m2

I've only done one (to Tampa Bay area) in the Box and it was great. Even got 30 mpg @ 80mph. I've done coast-to-coast twice in the 914.

If luggage is a problem pack in laundry or soft duffel bags that can be crammed into small spaces. I've even used garbage bags (Redneck Samsonite!).

I've recently added two items to the car kit. A tires carrier/cover from Tire Rack for dirty flats and a day-glo orange motorcycle vest for roadside emergency visibility.

I've driven my 01 Boxster S on several trips in excess of 600 miles one way. Other than the cramped interior quarters its not too bad. Stop and stretch more than you would normally. Biggest problem I had was the wife likes to take lots of crap. To accommodate this, take out and off the wind deflectors so you can use the space behind the roll bar with the top up. Also don't put anything that is affected by heat in the rear trunk. It gets too hot.

Have fun and enjoys.

We take our 98 986 w 88k miles on long trips and have had no issues. I do make a good check list before hand to inspect ALL of the fluids and pressure in the tires. I also take along 1 qrt of oil and a small tool kit (better to be safe than sorry) Other than that except for the the cramped qtrs it's a great experience. We recently upgraded the OEM radio to a new Pioneer head unit w/SIRRUS and it makes a world of difference when we are crusing on longer trips. When you do find some open hwy or a nice road with some twists it's allot of fun to enjoy the performance. Have a great trip.

m2

Can you tell me which radio you have? I'm fed up the the tinny sound of the OEM radio. Thanks

As much as we tend to think otherwise... it's still just a car. Treat it like you would your Honda or any other car on a long trip. Specific to the Boxster, I'd keep the coolers in the front vs the back (no engine heat), check the pressure in the spare before leaving just in case, and enjoy the trip! You might want to check the tread (and pressure) on your tires before leaving, too- With the soft compound tires we use, they can easily go from marginal to unsafe in 1300 miles, and you certainly don't want to have to get new tires halfway through your trip. For that matter, you may need to consider weather along your route, too. Anywhere you'd need all-seasons?

I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine 650 miles and back.

I've recently added two items to the car kit. A tires carrier/cover from Tire Rack for dirty flats and a day-glo orange motorcycle vest for roadside emergency visibility.
My 04 came with a bag in the spare tire kit. No coveralls, though :P

Can you tell me which radio you have? I'm fed up the the tinny sound of the OEM radio. Thanks
Not really a practical upgrade option, but the 04 BOSE system sounds terrific! Edited by grover

I only get to drive my car one day per week. And when I do, I'm gone for several hours. Like yesterday, I did over 400 miles and was parked in the garage by 1:30PM.

I have taken the 2006 987S on two trips to the Tail of the Dragon. Both trips are just over 2,000 miles door-to-door (including the driving there).

Edited by White987S

I would like to know if others have had good experience on long (650 miles one way) trips. Mine is 2003 w/42000 miles, no past probs or issues. I guess I feel more anxious about this than just climbing in the Honda for the trip.

My '03 has just over 154,000 miles on it. Just drove it 754 miles each way a couple weeks back (California to Texas). I even it made it to three digits on the speedo a couple of times. I've always had great experience on long trips (as well as my daily 120 mile trips).

All the best,

Bill :beer:

I took my 98 Boxster with (now) 77K miles on a few long trips. Last trip was in September, when I went Ohio to Vermont, then back from Vermont through Philadelphia to Ohio. More than 2000 miles in less than a week. The car ran like a champ, no problems whatsoever. I also drove 3 times Ohio - Philly round trips in the past, no problems at all and I am planning another long trip next weekend :)

Drive away and enjoy it. Hope you have good weather

m2

I just bought the JVC KD-AVX77. I wanted a fully functional widescreen touchscreen unit and only have a single-din radio in the car and didnt want to do the double din conversion. This unit has everything that I needed and a lot of things I didnt! I havent installed it yet but am planning to this weekend. Its also very clean looking, when its off its just a blank black screen.

m2

I just bought the JVC KD-AVX77. I wanted a fully functional widescreen touchscreen unit and only have a single-din radio in the car and didnt want to do the double din conversion. This unit has everything that I needed and a lot of things I didnt! I havent installed it yet but am planning to this weekend. Its also very clean looking, when its off its just a blank black screen.

I have taken a couple of 2000ml trips. Ear plugs are my #1 priority. They decrease fatigue by something like 30%.

Lower back can get sore so i try to move around a bit. Don't forget a spart surpentine belt and a quart of oil.

Enjoy the drive, great fun!