Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

5 Speed Tranny Problem

Has anybody had experience with this issue?

While shifting my 98 low mileage (4000 miles) 5 speed Boxster, I notice that the smoothness of the shifting varies. All gears work, but the engagement of some gears is not as smooth as with others. For example, the 1-2 shift is not smooth, rather, I have to shift slowly and deliberately, but it engages just fine. Also, the 3-4 shift seems kinda notchy when entering the gate of fourth gear. These are minor quibbles now as the car still drives great... just somewhat annoying.

There are not any noises and I am hesitant to suspect the transmission. Sometimes, depending on the day, the tranny is smoother than another day. I'm confused.

Rather than inspecting the transmission itself, could the culprit be a loose or cracked shift bushing or linkage or some other part that isn't working well in the housing for the shifter itself within the center console? Any advice on what the problem could be or how to get into the shifter mechanism area for a visual inspection would be great, thanks.

James

I was talking to friend of mine [owns a Porsche shop] he said he say's allot of problems with bent linkages in the Boxster, because people get in a hurry and push the linkage to the bending/tweaking point.

The difference you are seeing are the temperature variations in the tranny oil. My guess..

I would lift the Boxster/jack stand it and have some one go through the gears and see if you see if you have any binding.

The only reason I say this, it is easier to check your tranny linkage first; then pulling your center console and shifter.

Scott

So, I was reading at edmunds.com, and I found a review of the 2000 boxster. Turns out that my tranny may not have a problem at all!

In their review they state:

"Finding the Boxster stupid simple to heel-and-toe in preparation for entering a corner, our staff downgraded the transmission in a couple of other areas. First, one editor complained about contact between his knee and the steering wheel when operating the clutch. Several of us noted long throws between gears and a "loosey-goosey" (yes, that is the technical term) shifter. Gates were deemed notchy, and the clutch required more effort than the others to operate smoothly. Yet, nobody groused much about the end result, which is that when driven hard, as a Porsche is designed to be, shifting became nearly transparent."

Sounds similar to my transmission. Not very smooth about town, but in the twisties, great. Thanks for the suggestions.

James

• 10 years later...

Good afternoon everyone, I am a new member with a question. In fact, this is my very first posting, ever.

I do not wish to hijack this thread, but I do not know how to make a new posting and this one seems to be the closest one I could find to my current issue.  Also, it might help the original poster as I have some of the same symptoms.  

I have a leak where the transmission linkage connects to the transmission. I understand this is a relatively common phenomenon. I am seeking your help in finding a place that will repair it. Specifically, I understand that there are those who make the repair with a brass bushing, which is supposedly superior to the Porsche repair, which is to merely replace the original bushing with the same defective material. If I am going to spend the money, which looks to be inevitable, then I would most appreciate your help in finding a shop in Los Angeles that would do the best possible job.  

I have enclosed a link to a photo that indicates where my leak is located.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/uploads/downloadedimages/100_0127.jpg

Thank you very much.