Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Whistling noise from the cabriolet top

• 4 weeks later...
Bump...

Any ideas where else this wind / whistling noise comes from

Please read the TSBs on this subject - as a Contributing Member you can read TSBs here online.

Porsche has covered many of the problem areas.

Loren...I tried but could find nothing under wind noise or whistling noise

1b/00 6101 Noises in the Convertible Top -- Aug 24, 2001

1a/00 6101 Noises in the Convertible Top -- Oct 27, 2000

1/00 6101 Noises In The Convertible Top -- Sep 15, 2000

4/03 6110 Rattling Noises From The Cabriolet Top -- May 23, 2003

Done them all!

None of these have to do with the wind or whistling sound when the car is driven at speed...

Could be from anywhere I guess - window, misaligned hood, mirrors.... argh

turn up the music or get an aftermarket exhaust...it is difficult to track down noises...do you get the noise with the top down?

Impossible to tell w/top down because it is apparent only at speeds above 70mph or so....and at that speed with the top down, all those noises are mixed up.

Can someone tell me how the hood should line up? Mine sticks up slightly above the bumper line - an exaggerated picture is below.

I tried to lower the bumper by turning the knobs clockwise but the drivers side is all the way clockwise but still sticks up a bit...

______

...........---------

hood.....bumper......front of car

Edited by roadsession

• Admin

Loren,

This seems to a reference back to the same thread. I too would like to solve the 'wind noise' problem on my 1999 Cab. My hood is also riding high compared to the front.

Yes, as I said if the front hood sits up higher than the front bumper - you will likely get wind noise.

You may have adjustment in the rubber stops at the hood and/or the bumper will need to be adjusted so that it is even or just slightly higher than the front hood.

I might try the window adjustment on this thread too

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15869

Is your window actually not sitting in the track correctly? Is it not sealing? With your top up and your windows down, do you get the whistle? If not then I wouldn't mess with the window alignment...

These noises are often very difficult to track down. I start by checking all the seals of any type of damage and then wiping them down with silicone spray. The silicone will take a few days to swell the seals but I have had good success with it.

With the top up and at speed, if you open a window slightly does the noise stop??

These noises are often very difficult to track down. I start by checking all the seals of any type of damage and then wiping them down with silicone spray. The silicone will take a few days to swell the seals but I have had good success with it.

With the top up and at speed, if you open a window slightly does the noise stop??

good question. I will try that and report back...

Such a newb with these issues. I came from driving just MB's and BMW's the last 20 yrs and they're sealed like bank vaults at ridiculous speeds...

Well i tried that - hard to hear the whistle with the window slightly open at speed - hard to tell if it disappeared or drowned out by the other noise.

I will try leveling bumper with hood...but like I said my little bumpers under the hood is turned all the way clockwise on the drivers side already... and thats where it's sticking up a little

If you think it's coming for the front hood gap then just tape the area and test drive. Be sure to tape that won't damage the paint work, you should be able to find autobody tape at your local auto parts store.

Yes it's the hood gap...

now what can I do? I've adjusted the knobs clockwise as far as they'll go....

If you think it's coming for the front hood gap then just tape the area and test drive. Be sure to tape that won't damage the paint work, you should be able to find autobody tape at your local auto parts store.

Yes it's the hood gap...

now what can I do? I've adjusted the knobs clockwise as far as they'll go....

Is the bumper installed and adjusted properly?

• Moderators

Lower the trunk lock a little if the bumper is adjusted as it should, it could help, the hood should be closed by the pressure of one hand, on a spot between the crest and the bumper (definitely NOT on the crest!!)

Lower the trunk lock a little if the bumper is adjusted as it should, it could help, the hood should be closed by the pressure of one hand, on a spot between the crest and the bumper (definitely NOT on the crest!!)

Newbie here - how do I lower the trunk lock?

Thanks