Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2005 997 C2S 6-Speed Slow in 1st & 2nd Gear

I have my 2005 997 C2S 6-Speed since June of this year. My last stick-shift was 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST back in 1997 and since then I've been driving Auto. The problem I have with my 997 is that when I take off from a full stop at a stop light, my car goes slow in 1st and 2nd and other cars even small cars beat me. I take off from 1st and take that to 20 mph and then I go to 2nd and take that to 40 mph and then to 3rd and once I'm in 3rd I'm good. I'm still learning how to drive this car and trust me I am ashamed as I type about my situation. But it is really getting on my nerves. There is also less than a second lag when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I'm almost thinking about selling it and getting a TIP.

But I just wanted to know if others have same issue. Is there some where I can go to learn how to drive this stick-shift? It's like my timing is not right or something.

I should have just bought TIP but the color (black/black) I wanted was not that easy to find in TIP.

:renntech:

It's not the easiest car to launch I'll say that. However it's not too bad. Is your foot on the floor while you're trying to get off fast? Do you have the SPORT button pressed if you have that option ?

What RPMs are you shifting at ? I'm not a fan of redlining my car but if you want to go fast that's near where you should be shifting. When you really get the thing to launch fast you'll know because the real wheels will begin to hop...

I have a 2005 997s as well and the problem when you're really trying to get a good launch is being able to shift fast enough from 1st to 2nd. I find the shifter responds better to a soft touch than trying to jam it into each gear. Pretend the gearshift knob is an egg and be really gentle with it.

I have my 2005 997 C2S 6-Speed since June of this year. My last stick-shift was 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST back in 1997 and since then I've been driving Auto. The problem I have with my 997 is that when I take off from a full stop at a stop light, my car goes slow in 1st and 2nd and other cars even small cars beat me. I take off from 1st and take that to 20 mph and then I go to 2nd and take that to 40 mph and then to 3rd and once I'm in 3rd I'm good. I'm still learning how to drive this car and trust me I am ashamed as I type about my situation. But it is really getting on my nerves. There is also less than a second lag when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I'm almost thinking about selling it and getting a TIP.

But I just wanted to know if others have same issue. Is there some where I can go to learn how to drive this stick-shift? It's like my timing is not right or something.

I should have just bought TIP but the color (black/black) I wanted was not that easy to find in TIP.

Hi otherguy, once your engine is warmed up (check the oil gauge, I'd say you'll want at least 175deg F), try shifting to second somwhere north of 30 at the least, 3rd at around 60+ mph. Bottom line, with the low speeds at which you're changing gear you're only using a quarter to one half of the enginge power capacity. Check the last section of your owner's manual, there are beautiful graphs in there. You'll just have to convert the km/h into miles (divide by 1.6) and you'll see that 1st gear is good to about 40 mph.

So at 20 mph - your 1st to 2nd shift point today - your engine is only reving at about 3,500 rpm and thus only making about 160 or so horsepower. So, get her warmed up nicely, then let the engine do what it loves - scream! Shift just by the time you hit the red mark on the tach and I promise no ordinary sedan or SUV will keep up.

This change will make a big difference for you. From there you can finesse the launch from a stand-still - how much rpm before disengaging the clutch, how fast to let the clutch out, etc. But the launch fiddling part is to only good to scrubb the last few tenths off you're 0 to 60 time. The changed shift points above will give you seconds and without hurting your clutch in the process ;)

Cheers,

Jay

Edited by jaybart

I don't think the Porsche makes for a very good off-the-line drag racer, because the rpm drop between 1st and 2nd is pretty steep. However, the next four gears are very closely spaced.

The 3.8 S motor really comes alive at 4000 rpm--the torque peak, and as jaybart says, very few cars will be able keep up, especially when the road starts to get twisty. It frankly can scare the stuffing out of this old coot, but it does wonders for the heart rate! Just keep practicing, and remember that Tips weigh more than the 6-speeds. A word of caution: be very careful when down-shifting and the 4-5 upshift, where it's possible to hit 3rd by mistake. The rev limiter won't help at all in that situation. And a high-performance driving course on a closed track is worth every penny.

I'd like to close by adding that racing on public streets and roads is a kinda foolish endeavor in a $50,000 car and one as fast as a 997S; we're talking a 180+mph machine here.

Edited by 355bhp

I don't think the OP is talking about drag racing or surely he wouldn't shift to second gear at 20 MPH. I think he's just saying that when he's driving normally he finds that other cars are outpacing him.

The simple solution is to shift a bit later and get on the throttle more. If you have sport chrono, hit the sport button to sharpen the throttle response. Even if you don't have it, the bottom line is that you're still getting back in the saddle of driving stick. Be patient and give yourself some time. Reasons to want the tiptronic exist, but I think once you get more comfortable with the stick you'll see why it's so popular.

Thank you for the responses. Mine is not a daily driver and every time I drive it (Friday and/or Saturday), its like I'm driving it for the 1st time. I am not drag racing or racing on the street. I'm just doing normal driving. No street racing for me. Too old for that. I have to live for myself and my five old daughter.

I was afraid to take it above 4000 rpm in the 1st gear or the 2nd gear because of the engine noises in high rpm and the oil burning smell. I've heard that the oil burning smell is normal. But I'll definitely try taking it above 4000 rpm. Also, I have never driven it in the sport mode so I'll try that as well. Driver Education Course is on the to-do list.

Thank you for the responses. Mine is not a daily driver and every time I drive it (Friday and/or Saturday), its like I'm driving it for the 1st time. I am not drag racing or racing on the street. I'm just doing normal driving. No street racing for me. Too old for that. I have to live for myself and my five old daughter.

I was afraid to take it above 4000 rpm in the 1st gear or the 2nd gear because of the engine noises in high rpm and the oil burning smell. I've heard that the oil burning smell is normal. But I'll definitely try taking it above 4000 rpm. Also, I have never driven it in the sport mode so I'll try that as well. Driver Education Course is on the to-do list.

Oh but it's such a lovely noise! (PDiddy schooled me on the premature drag racing judgment.: my apologies.) But make sure you have no oil leaks; they can forecast dire troubles. (Do a search of the forum on the topic.) If all is well with no oil leaks, don't be afraid to use those revs! You can actually rev to 4000 when the drive train is still cold, and when all is warmed to operating temperatures, up to 7000 a few times won't hurt it. Your gas mileage will suffer however, but that's not some Prius you're driving! And learn to drive by that big ol' tachometer smack in the middle of the gauge cluster; that's why it's located there. Oh, and try to eventually master the heel-and-toe double-clutch downshift technique (your driving instructor will show you how it's done). It''s great fun; it's fast, and it's actually easier on the clutch disc. Cheers!

Oh but it's such a lovely noise! (PDiddy schooled me on the premature drag racing judgment.: my apologies.) But make sure you have no oil leaks; they can forecast dire troubles. (Do a search of the forum on the topic.) If all is well with no oil leaks, don't be afraid to use those revs! You can actually rev to 4000 when the drive train is still cold, and when all is warmed to operating temperatures, up to 7000 a few times won't hurt it. Your gas mileage will suffer however, but that's not some Prius you're driving! And learn to drive by that big ol' tachometer smack in the middle of the gauge cluster; that's why it's located there. Oh, and try to eventually master the heel-and-toe double-clutch downshift technique (your driving instructor will show you how it's done). It''s great fun; it's fast, and it's actually easier on the clutch disc. Cheers!

I think we have this solved. Sport button ON. Shift all gears MUCH higher - like 6,500 RPM and you'll have no more issues.

All German cars tend to have a steep first gear, which is great when you're creeping along in stop-and-go traffic because it'll happily idle along at 700 RPM in first. Not so good for showing your goodies at a stoplight.

Don't be afraid of the higher revs in first. You'll find that as long as you shift smoothly on the 1-2 upshift and lay off the throttle until you're in gear that the car will take care of the rest. If you're smelling oil then check for a leak, otherwise the smell of hot muffler and cosmoline shouldn't deter you from using everything the car has to offer.

Automatics have the advantage of starting in 2nd gear at the stoplight, which is difficult to do in the C2S unless you have a practiced left foot. Try on level ground, and at your own risk.

Mark