Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power steering fluid. Clear or green?

I just purchased a 2003 Boxster S. I was just checking the power steering fluid level and it was low. It wasn't showing on the stick. I dipped in further with plastic rod to see how low and noticed that the fluid on the stick was clear when I wiped it on a paper towel. I thought that the CHF 11S fluid was green. Is that the case? if so, I hope that the previous owner didn't fill it with another fluid. I guess tomorrow, I'll open the front engine access and see if there are leaks from the pump. From what I understand other fluids eat the seals. Any comments or input would be appreciated.

I just purchased a 2003 Boxster S. I was just checking the power steering fluid level and it was low. It wasn't showing on the stick. I dipped in further with plastic rod to see how low and noticed that the fluid on the stick was clear when I wiped it on a paper towel. I thought that the CHF 11S fluid was green. Is that the case? if so, I hope that the previous owner didn't fill it with another fluid. I guess tomorrow, I'll open the front engine access and see if there are leaks from the pump. From what I understand other fluids eat the seals. Any comments or input would be appreciated.

I opened up the front, and I don't see any leaks around the pump. Everything looks good. I haven't seen any leaks on the garage floor. hummmmm. It must be going somewhere. The tank is almost dry. if the wrong fluid is in it, would it expand more and blow it out of the overflow to the point that the tank would virtually be dry when cold? I see a little residue around the cap, but that could be from someone filling it.

• Moderators

Pentosin CHF 11 S (green) is replaced by CHF 202, this explains the fluid color change, the low power steering fluid level is mostly due by lack of service, sometimes a steering rack leak, take a look inside the dust bellows, they must be dry inside. Top up the level with one of the two mentioned fluids (may be mixed) and keep an eye on it.

Pentosin CHF 11 S (green) is replaced by CHF 202, this explains the fluid color change, the low power steering fluid level is mostly due by lack of service, sometimes a steering rack leak, take a look inside the dust bellows, they must be dry inside. Top up the level with one of the two mentioned fluids (may be mixed) and keep an eye on it.

Thanks RFM for taking the time to respond. Where would the dust bellows be? Steering rack?

• Admin

Thanks RFM for taking the time to respond. Where would the dust bellows be? Steering rack?

Yes, he is referring to the steering rack. You will likely need to remove the plastic belly pan to see - though you might be able to shine a light in from the wheel side.

You can shine a light in from the side with the wheels turned one way, but you won't be able to pull the bellows off the rack to actually inspect things. Obviously, if you can see fluid leaking past the bellows, you are due for a rack, but if the leak isn't that bad (or you don't have one at all, which is what you hope) you're going to need to pull the undertray and the bellows to accurately inspect the rack.

Shockingly, when I replaced my rack, it was not that much work. What's unfortunate, is that I was not able to find anyone marketing a seal kit to rebuild these racks, so was forced to buy a new one (which I oddly found a great deal on due to a dealer's mistake in ordering parts).