Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Well I Finally Did It!

I just purchased my first Boxter!!!!! (anyone want an 86 944 n/a atm?????)

Just a couple of quick questions. Does anyone knw where I can find a list of the accessory codes?

I noticed the spoiler lite was on during the inspection. whats p with that? the local dealer tells me it's normal?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

Suncoast is Okay, but there are better deals around, just need to shop around.

No, your spoiler light is not normal [at least not while driving around under normal circumstances], but on the other hand it is normal for a salesman to lie.

You can check it's operation by utilizing the spoiler switch, located at your left foot drivers side, about six inches up. Only switch looking thing down there, momentary.

Scott

Edited by mrmickeymouse

The Owner’s Manual says the following for the spoiler light. “Lights for a lamp check when ignition is switched on and goes off when the vehicle moves off.” This is how the light works on my Bosxter. As a result the light stays on after the other lights go off and stays on until the car is moving.

• Moderators

Congratulations! :clapping:

The behavior of the spoiler light changed between the 2000 and 2001 models. If you have a 2001 or later, the spoiler light works just like all the other warning lights on the dash. 2000 or earlier, it behaves like jporter states.

Have fun with your new toy,

Graeme

Congrats on getting a Boxster, welcome to the club :)

Regarding the convertible windows, do a search on this site for additional information, search for "rear window"

Basically you can just have an upholstery shop put in a new plastic window. Price ranges vary, but I have seen posts stating that is costs in the $400-$800 range. It's worth it to take it back to the dealer to see if they will cover the cost of a new window.

You could buy a new top, but I don't know of any instructions to do the install, and the dealer wants a lot ~$1800 for a new top + install.

Depending on the tear size you can use clear thick tape on the inside of it and then put a bumper sticker or decal on the outside of it, this of coarse is temporary.

Look up "Boxster Chop" also. You may see a picture of some dude using and axe on the rear window (you don't actually use an axe or hachet :eek: ) It is just a way to ensure the rear window folds properly. Sometimes when opening the top the rear window gets all bunched up, this will shorten the life of the window drastically....

Larez2

Actually the cost can be as low as $100.00 for the "Eisenglas" [plastic window].

It is far cheaper to have someone replace your rear window, then get a new top.

As a side note: I have no idea why the rear window is not zippered in versus what we have now. In the old day's convertibles had zippered rear windows - go figure.

Not to confuse you more but after driving your car, the rear wing light should go off.

"Lights up as a check when the ignition is

switched on and goes out after the vehicle

moves off."

"The warning light lights up when

driving if the spoiler does not extend or reach

its end position above 120 km/h."

Scott

Edited by mrmickeymouse

Well I've read the owners manual from cover tro cover, and now fully understand EVERYTHING there is to know about my Boxster........NOT!

Anyway. The mystery rear spoiler light appears to be working just fine.

As soon as I start to move it goes out. But now..............I have a CEL!

"low cat efficency bank 1"

O2?

• Admin
Well I've read the owners manual from cover tro cover, and now fully understand EVERYTHING there is to know about my Boxster........NOT!

Anyway.  The mystery rear spoiler light appears to be working just fine.

As soon as I start to move it goes out. But now..............I have a CEL!

"low cat efficency bank 1" 

O2?

What is the Pcode?

Very few bad O2 sensors (IMHO) more likely an intake or emissions leak.