Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 TT Front End Popping feel at full turn...Normal?

therock88

Hi,

I do not notice any issues or funny noises, but notice when I turn very sharp (like into the driveway etc.) the front end seems to have a slight popping feel. If it makes any sound it is very faint, but you can feel a popping in the front. The car has around 19K miles and chrono plus if that matters.

My question is simply, is this normal due to the large wheels (19") and tires coupled with the AWD? Or should I be concerned and or bring to Dealer 1 hour away?

I notice no other issues when driving and only noise is on hard turns ( not fast turns).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/thoughts.

DC

Also....The weather is extremely cold right now (near or below 0)...Wondering if the tires are making the noise due to the cold?

Edited by therock88

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is doing this too. I think it's a CV Joint but I haven't actually checked it out yet. The car is in it's cacoon for the winter and so I haven't bothered to diagnose the problem. If you narrow down the cause please update this post, I'd be interested to hear if it is CV Joint related or something else.

Hi folks,

This happens on my car too (997.1 3.8S), especially at the moment as it is very cold here this winter. I think it is purely the fact that the large tyres are cold and not as supple as usual and as such there is slippage when turning at tight angles. I had this last winter and it goes away as soon as the weather changes. I might be wrong but I have had this a few times and I think there is really nothing to worry about.

Sam

Thanks for the input. I think you are referring to the Ackerman effect that is caused by two different arcs when you turn. Inside arc smaller than outside and the two try to travel at different speeds....In short, a geometry issue. I have heard of that as well and you may be right in most cases. This also used to happen on my Cayenne, and after new tires it stopped, even in the cold weather here in Illinois. Mine sounded a bit more mechanical and when I spoke to the Porsche Dealer today they advised they had parts ordered (though I had them checking several items). I was thinking my popping was a joint, but with new tires who knows?

Will update when I pick up my car around this weekend.

DC

OK...Follow up on issue. Dealer has had it for over a week. Mechanic says it does not do it at all in the shop...So given it is 10 degrees and a -0 wind chill

with ice, snow and other nasty weather conditions....The dealers shop is nice and warm...And given the tires are summer tires...>We are going to go with the tires just jumping due to the extreme cold, hard turns, hard rubber on summer tires due to cold. If anything else manifests itself I will update again. So we will call this the Ackerman effect issue.

Good news is....If it turns out to be something else...It is still under warranty! :)

Thanks!

DC

• 1 month later...

OK...Follow up on issue. Dealer has had it for over a week. Mechanic says it does not do it at all in the shop...So given it is 10 degrees and a -0 wind chill

with ice, snow and other nasty weather conditions....The dealers shop is nice and warm...And given the tires are summer tires...>We are going to go with the tires just jumping due to the extreme cold, hard turns, hard rubber on summer tires due to cold. If anything else manifests itself I will update again. So we will call this the Ackerman effect issue.

Good news is....If it turns out to be something else...It is still under warranty! :)

Thanks!

DC

My DMS modified 997 TT Tiptronic does it all the time, irrespective of temperature, while reversing on full lock. It sounds just like the back of my Ferrari 365GTC/4, which had a very tight LSD, while reversing in a tight turn on gravel. It will be very interesting to see if my Carrera 3.0 RSR tarmac rally car, which arrives next week, with a new Kazz 70% LSD also makes this noise reversing.

Wilson