Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Top 5 Upgrades To New 996 Turbo

jasonc

With a new turbo on the way and lots of options for playing with things given Carnewal etc, I was keen to get thoughts from the board on the five key things they would change from a factory spec car. These can be functional or visual enhancements.

Car is a 996 Turbo S manual with PCCB (version 2). Short shift.

All advice appreciated.

"Spend the money learning how to drive it." Gee what a good point!

Hey Techart has some very nice options for your car. Most Porsche guys like to trick out thier cars So I understand It's natural.

I dont have a Turbo just a 1999 Narrow body C2 996. But I have pondered my future upgrades and here's what I would do.

1. Suspension (If not a RoW or Sport package car) I would think all Turbos sport suspension But you can make them better.

2. BodyKit Tech Art.

3. Wheels GT style.

4. Tires (Pilot Sport SP are really nice)

5. The Man was right Drive, Drive , Drive thats the only way you will learn your car.

Here's a link for you on people that are upgrading turbo cars.

http://hobbystage.net/porsche/members.cgi

Good Luck

Dennis

Carnewal is a great place to buy upgrades from. Gert always takes the time to talk to customers, even if they might not be planning to buy from him. There are a million and one upgrades for your car. It all depends on what you want/need. One of the most popular is a different exhaust. You have your choice of many, and some of the better choices are: Europipe, TechArt, RUF..etc. Changing your stock suspension to coil-overs is, also, very popular. If you are planning to go to track days with it, than you might have to invest in some Motons or JRZ. If you will be street driving your car, mainly, then Bilstein PSS9's are hard to beat.

Visually, it is all a matter of taste. You have plenty of choice, from techArt, GT-2 style, Gemballa, Strosek, and factory aerokit. It's all a matter of how outragous you want your car to be.

As you can see, there are many directions that you can take if you want to start modding your car. You can narrow it all down if you specify weather you will be tracking your car or not. Once you decide that, it will be alot easier to figure out what to change and what to keep.

there are many directions that you can take if you want to start modding your car. You can narrow it all down if you specify weather you will be tracking your car or not. Once you decide that, it will be alot easier to figure out what to change and what to keep.

Thanks. Car will be primarily used for road driving although a bit of tracking/Nurburgring driving will be on the cards. Don't think the PCCB's will really suit a lot of tracking (even the new version).

Sounds like the PSS9s could be of use. Will probably look to chip the car and add a better exhaust. Probably some interior upgrades.

How does the PSS9 adjustment process work?

Brakes

PCCB brakes are really over cost considering the eight piston Brembo brake options available are about half the cost.

This place does alot of Turbo development work.

http://www.scargoracing.com/

Exotic Suspension parts for Porsche's TT cars as well.

http://www.4induktion.com/porsche.html

this is a nice Turbo link

http://www.911turbo.com/

Good Luck

Brakes

PCCB brakes are really over cost considering the eight piston Brembo brake options available are about half the cost.

They are standard on the Turbo S and essentially you get them for free vs the old Turbo pricing. Agree that I would not have specced them as an option given the price.

Well before my car arrived I had suspension parts to get the car to a 'more pleasing' height & tighten up the ride, spacers to get the wheels where I wanted them, body shop appointment to paint all 6 ground affect abs pieces to car color & remove front/rear bumpers to fill Lplate holes/rear bumperette holes, custom paint front outside duct vents, of course clear side markers.

Tons has happened since..........but all that before she went down the road new.

• 2 weeks later...

hey jason!

GT3 seats, marvelous improvement over the OEM seats, and not restrictive like the sports seats,

rollbar/6 point harness

theres a bunch of small mods that are good, clear sides, bumperplugs, painted rear mini-bumpers.

after those, spend some time getting accustomed to the car before starting the first round of major mods, that way, you can progressively get a feeling of whats improving and what needs improvement

when the mods start, go with either PSS9, or OEM X73 turbo suspension

then you can get a chip, which is good for a fairly large power gain, and exhuast, i suggest europipe/RUF

Edited by Moogle

Moogle...glad to see you loiter in more than one place.

And my thoughts almost exactly. I'm hoping time spent over the years in my kart has prepared me to drive at 7/10ths in a 996tt. Maybe a Porsche experience driving school is needed.

But the mods I've been looking at (my car is still in Chicago waiting for me to drive it back to Utah), The bumper plugs, rear bumpers painted, the bumperettes were alreadys deleted at the factory, but I'm considering the GT-2 front bumper (it's beautiful), Good tires, and I'm going to have to get rid of some of gap betwwen the wheels and fender. I was thinking PSS9's, but the ROW X73 setup might be easier...Can I just install the springs?