Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Greetings Porschisiti,

I bought a new 911 C2 in September, and having enjoyed it thoroughly for four months, fancy a bit more practicaility, therefore chopping it in for a Cayenne Turbo!!

Now as much as I loved the 911, there's no doubt the Cayenne offers a similar quantity of excitement, but far more space and a relatively tough old boot in everyday use too, despite the rather scary predicted fuel consumption (C2 averaged 20mpg in everyday use, nearer 24mpg on a run, using it's performance somewhat....)

My main considerations are comfort, toys, practicality and all-weather usability, in which the Cayenne excels, needless to say I'll probably regret selling the lovely 911...

Any 911 owners done this? ;)

Great forum by the way, I'll try to contribute as much as poss... :renntech:

My wife loved driving her '05 997 so much we bought an '08 Cayenne S for our dog (we have to drive it for the dog). But we kept the Carrera. And the Boxster. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy in the Cayenne - around 20 MPG highway at respectable cruising speeds. You might not do quite as well with the Turbo. The Carrera holds a lot for its relatively compact size, but the Cayenne holds so much more. The back seat is lots more usable for people, too. Many Cayenne parts are a lot less expensive than their Carrera counterparts. While not as enjoyable as a Porsche sports car on twisty roads, the Cayenne does a pretty good job holding its own compared to most other cars on the road. And driving it puts a smile on our faces. But totally different driving dynamics from the Carrera

Enjoy your new Cayenne :D

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, how could anyone compare a rebadged VW Toureg to a 911??? (no disrespect intended, but rather-"shock")

Maybe I assume that the allure of a porsche is that they are all track-ready devices with a motorsport history, rather than how cool it seems to drive around the Mall parking lot in a "Porsche".

I am sort of hoping there was a misprint somewhere and you meant "Cayman"....

Greetings Porschisiti,

I bought a new 911 C2 in September, and having enjoyed it thoroughly for four months, fancy a bit more practicaility, therefore chopping it in for a Cayenne Turbo!!

Now as much as I loved the 911, there's no doubt the Cayenne offers a similar quantity of excitement, but far more space and a relatively tough old boot in everyday use too, despite the rather scary predicted fuel consumption (C2 averaged 20mpg in everyday use, nearer 24mpg on a run, using it's performance somewhat....)

My main considerations are comfort, toys, practicality and all-weather usability, in which the Cayenne excels, needless to say I'll probably regret selling the lovely 911...

Great forum by the way, I'll try to contribute as much as poss... :renntech:

"..Any 911 owners done this?.."

Give up a 911(996/997) in favor of a Cayenne...??!!

It would be my guess that you are TOTALLY alone on this.

My wife loved driving her '05 997 so much we bought an '08 Cayenne S for our dog (we have to drive it for the dog). But we kept the Carrera. And the Boxster. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy in the Cayenne - around 20 MPG highway at respectable cruising speeds. You might not do quite as well with the Turbo. The Carrera holds a lot for its relatively compact size, but the Cayenne holds so much more. The back seat is lots more usable for people, too. Many Cayenne parts are a lot less expensive than their Carrera counterparts. While not as enjoyable as a Porsche sports car on twisty roads, the Cayenne does a pretty good job holding its own compared to most other cars on the road. And driving it puts a smile on our faces. But totally different driving dynamics from the Carrera

Enjoy your new Cayenne :D

"..You might not do quite as well with the turbo..."

An understatement if I even heard one.

In order to accomodate turbo boost on the rare occassions of it being appropriate/used the base V8 must must be derated, HORRIBLY derated. The NA V8 is DFI, Direct Fuel Injected, so the static compression ratio is likely close to 12:1, yeilding fairly decent overall FE. The turbo V8's CR might be as low as 8:1 so normal, cruise mode, driving (98% of the time) will have relatively POOR FE.

No substitute for SuperCharging and e/VVT-i, "extended" VVT-i. Keep the engine in Otto mode, 15:1 CR, and transition into Miller cycle mode, (<10:1 "pre-boost" dynamic CR) with FULL boost.

Edited by wwest

• 1 month later...

2 months on.....tongue.gif

Although I miss the svelte little 911 and it's beautiful dynamics, I have to admit the Cayenne's practicality shines through.

I can punt it around town, threatening other people in lesser cars, whilst lobbing dogs and boating gear in the back, OR wafting around as if inside Mercedes finest limo, with the smooth V8 purring away like a gently stroked Kitten, OR giving it a **** good thrashing at 911 velocities even though the fuel consumption is more '747' than 911...

It's a car for all seasons!

Good points: Comfort, Refinement, Space, Punch, Grip

Not so good: Thirst, Lack of finesse compared to lovely 911 chassis, did I mention thirst? LOL

This is helped somewhat by the fact Mrs Fatcayenne has a Boxter 3.4S laugh.gif Cheap and trashy I know, but still an F6! rolleyes.gif

This is helped somewhat by the fact Mrs Fatcayenne has a Boxter 3.4S laugh.gif Cheap and trashy I know, but still an F6! rolleyes.gif

Hey, nothing wrong with a 3.4 Boxter S! But you (and your puppy dog) probably coulda done just as well with one of the myriad other crossovers now available and saved yourself a bundle of cash.

And hang on to that Boxter--unless of course, you and the Missus decide to trade it in on a new 500 bhp 997.2 Turbo!

• 7 months later...

Interesting, I am going the other way, trading in a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S for a 2011 Targa 4S. I bought the CTTS for all the reasons you list and regretted it not long after. I wanted to own a Porsche and never felt like I did with the CTTS. Anyway my 911 is at the port and should be in my driveway soon, then I will consider myself a Porsche owner, just my .02 from my experience.

Interesting, I am going the other way, trading in a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S for a 2011 Targa 4S. I bought the CTTS for all the reasons you list and regretted it not long after. I wanted to own a Porsche and never felt like I did with the CTTS. Anyway my 911 is at the port and should be in my driveway soon, then I will consider myself a Porsche owner, just my .02 from my experience.

You got that right. The Cayenne is a great ute but it is worlds apart from an 11. I suppose those who seek straight-line thrills cannot tell the difference.