Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

use redline 5w-40 instead of mobil 1 0w-40 for my ctt?

RL seems to provide better protection than M1 but it's not on the porsche approved oil list though...

Mobil 1 0W-40 technical data:

Viscosity @ 40C – 78.3

Viscosity @ 100C – 14.0

HTHS @ 150C – 3.7

Pour Point (Celsius) – No manufacturer data available

Red Line 5W-40 Synthetic

Viscosity @ 40C – 94.0 (Thickest oil @ 40C)

Viscosity @ 100C – 15.1

HTHS @ 150C – 4.6 (Shears the least)

Pour Point (Celsius) – (-)45

• Moderators
RL seems to provide better protection than M1 but it's not on the porsche approved oil list though...

Mobil 1 0W-40 technical data:

Viscosity @ 40C – 78.3

Viscosity @ 100C – 14.0

HTHS @ 150C – 3.7

Pour Point (Celsius) – No manufacturer data available

Red Line 5W-40 Synthetic

Viscosity @ 40C – 94.0 (Thickest oil @ 40C)

Viscosity @ 100C – 15.1

HTHS @ 150C – 4.6 (Shears the least)

Pour Point (Celsius) – (-)45

No, because it has no ACEA ratings (never submitted)................... I'd use Castrol Syntec 10W-40 which has ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings.

No, because it has no ACEA ratings (never submitted)................... I'd use Castrol Syntec 10W-40 which has ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings.

Really? The following are quotes from the Redline website:

For 0W40:

"Recommended for water-cooled Porsche and Mercedes-Benz 229.5/229.51 applications"

"Recommended for API SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG/CF and ACEA A3/B4"

For 5W40:

"As specified for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and VW applications"

"Recommended for API SM/CJ-4/CI-4/CI-4 PLUS

Also recommended for ACEA A3/B4/E9"

I don't think they'd mention those ratings without being pretty sure they meet them. Wanna bet they their oils do meet the spec, but they've just never spent the money to formally get them listed?

PS - I am biased, as I use Redline 5W40 in my Transsybera (GTS) V8.

Edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta

any good places to get redline? it seems hard to find in our local stores.

For 0W40:

"Recommended for water-cooled Porsche and Mercedes-Benz 229.5/229.51 applications"

For 5W40:

I don't think they'd mention those ratings without being pretty sure they meet them. Wanna bet they their oils do meet the spec, but they've just never spent the money to formally get them listed?

• Moderators

For 0W40:

For 5W40:

Reread what you quoted from Redline, you will note the "recommended", which is the verbiage that their marketing department came up with after ACEA called them on making ACEA rated claims that simply are not true. According to ACEA, Redline had never submitted products for independent verification of passing ACEA ratings. So, no, they do not have ACEA ratings, never did; and the “recommendations” are those of Redline marketing………………

Edited by JFP in PA

and the “recommendations” are those of Redline marketing………………

That's good enough for me. :clapping:

That being the case, I’m sure you will get the outcome you so richly deserve………….

I expect to, although it might be short lived. I filed the first document in the Georgia Lemon Law process on Friday.

Edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta

Just to keep stirring the pot: :rolleyes:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, our products are not submitted or blessed by Porsche but certainly are suitable. Our oils do satisfy various ACEA requirements.

In the older Porsche engines with flat tappet cams some additional anti-wear may be required over the current API SM certified oils 600 to 800 ppm phosphorus limit. The current phosphorus limit for diesel CJ-4, CI-4 oils is less than 1200 ppm phosphorus, not significantly changed from previous oils, an oil submitted initially for the diesel certification should have sufficient ZDDP anti-wear protection for older engines. Our Motor Oils typically contain 1200 ppm phosphorus except the diesel oils which contain 1175 ppm, significant anti-wear protection and sufficient for Porsche engines.

In your Cayenne I would recommend the 5W40, it would satisfy the ACEA A3, B4, E9 requirements or the 0W40 which would satisfy the A3, B3/B4 requirements, I certainly wouldn't expect any mechanical problems nor warranty issues with their use.

Glad to hear the products are performing well in your Mercedes, they will perform well in your Porsche also.

Regards, Dave

Red Line Oil

• Moderators
Just to keep stirring the pot: :rolleyes:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, our products are not submitted or blessed by Porsche but certainly are suitable. Our oils do satisfy various ACEA requirements.

In the older Porsche engines with flat tappet cams some additional anti-wear may be required over the current API SM certified oils 600 to 800 ppm phosphorus limit. The current phosphorus limit for diesel CJ-4, CI-4 oils is less than 1200 ppm phosphorus, not significantly changed from previous oils, an oil submitted initially for the diesel certification should have sufficient ZDDP anti-wear protection for older engines. Our Motor Oils typically contain 1200 ppm phosphorus except the diesel oils which contain 1175 ppm, significant anti-wear protection and sufficient for Porsche engines.

In your Cayenne I would recommend the 5W40, it would satisfy the ACEA A3, B4, E9 requirements or the 0W40 which would satisfy the A3, B3/B4 requirements, I certainly wouldn't expect any mechanical problems nor warranty issues with their use.

Glad to hear the products are performing well in your Mercedes, they will perform well in your Porsche also.

Regards, Dave

Red Line Oil

II still see no definitive statement that it actually holds any ACEA ratings, only that he "recommends" a product that "would satisfy ACEA".........more marketing verbiage. You should ask him if it actually holds ACEA ratings, and when it received them..........because I already know what the answer will be................

They have been playing this “legally acceptable terminology” game for years………..

II still see no definitive statement that it actually holds any ACEA ratings, only that he "recommends" a product that "would satisfy ACEA".........more marketing verbiage. You should ask him if it actually holds ACEA ratings, and when it received them..........because I already know what the answer will be................

They have been playing this “legally acceptable terminology” game for years………..

I'm satisfied that is meets the standard. I could care less whether they paid ACEA to rate it. The important fact is that it does meet it.

PS - The same goes for the Porsche "rated" tires. Who cares, except those selling the Porsche rated tires.

PPS - We're obviously not going to change each other's mind. I'm done with the discussion. :beer:

• Moderators

I'm satisfied that is meets the standard. I could care less whether they paid ACEA to rate it. The important fact is that it does meet it.

PS - The same goes for the Porsche "rated" tires. Who cares, except those selling the Porsche rated tires.

PPS - We're obviously not going to change each other's mind. I'm done with the discussion. :beer:

I just thought you'd like to know you are being lied to, but I guess I was wrong................