Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Putting Glass Top in Service mode

Well don't I feel stupid.

4th Boxster - but all my others have plastic rear windows

This is an 01 that the previous owner put a glass (looks to be factory) top on.

I tried to put it in service mode, but the glass keeps hitting the roll cage

and I can't seem to "flip it up" like the plastic ones.

Is there a trick to it? Are the later models (03-04) slightly different?

thanks,

Mike

• Moderators

This is one of the issues when the after market glass tops came out for the plastic window cars. The 2003-2004 cars have a 4 bow top, while the plastic window cars have 3. I think some shop was charging and extra $50 for working on a glass top car that originally had a plastic window. car.

thanks,

Mike

Mike:

If the 01's top is factory, then it should have the "PORSCHE" logo in white, centered near the bottom edge of the glass.

It it is factory, it has to be from an '03 or '04 top, and, in that case, it will fold properly when in the service position. The top edge of the glass will just clear the roll bar and you can then flip it up, but it then has to be held up with a strap that goes from the driver's side of underside of the rear main bow to the tongue on the driver's side of the front edge of the convertible top frame.

As Tool Pants says, the '03/'04 tops have a four bow frame, so it's easy to indentify.

Regards, Maurice.

thanks,

Mike

Mike:

If the 01's top is factory, then it should have the "PORSCHE" logo in white, centered near the bottom edge of the glass.

It it is factory, it has to be from an '03 or '04 top, and, in that case, it will fold properly when in the service position. The top edge of the glass will just clear the roll bar and you can then flip it up, but it then has to be held up with a strap that goes from the driver's side of underside of the rear main bow to the tongue on the driver's side of the front edge of the convertible top frame.

As Tool Pants says, the '03/'04 tops have a four bow frame, so it's easy to indentify.

Regards, Maurice.

I'll have to check it out the next time I'm out at the shop -- but I'm thinking it is a non-porsche glass window.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have an aftermarket GAHH glass window on mine with the original '01 frame. The glass window hits the roll bars when I fold it back, but if I push up on the window a little as I'm folding it back, it will fold a little farther and give me enough room to work. Then, I take a bungee and clip one end to the rear of the top and the other to the front . That holds the window up and out of the way. It's a little less room on an already pretty tight access, but I haven't found it to be too bad.

Here's a post with photo from another thread on Renntech showing how this is done...

http://www.renntech....post__p__117592

Edited by secretagent214