Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Abnormal noise while driving

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a 100% sure how I can explain this, its one of those you have to hear to really know what I'm talking about; but most of you over here are very knowledgeable and have helped me in the past so hopefully I can get some sort of an idea on whats going on..

I have a 98 Boxster w/ about 48k miles

When I drive the car theres this noise that comes, kind of sounds like "wobble/wobble/wobble" seems to be coming from the rear right hand side of the car. It doesnt seem to be dependent on RPMS even on the highway if I put the car in neutral the sound doesn't change. The faster I go, the gap between the "wobble-wobble" gets shorter and shorter. It happens in every gear.

What do you think it can be?

Thanks in advance!

Wheel bearing!

Thanks! I searched up the noise on youtube after your reply and I think it might be just that!

What's the best way to check? (Other then mechanic)

Also, I was searching pelican parts, and they seem to only have the "FRONT" ones? Are these the same for the rear? Also, it says change in sets? Does it mean Front/Back, or Left/Right?

More details on doing this yourself will be greatly appreciated!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=999-053-041-03-M34&catalog_description=Wheel%20Bearing%2C%20Boxster%20Front%2FRear%20%28%31%39%39%37%2D%30%34%29%20Boxster%20S%20Front%20only%20%28%32%30%30%30%2D%30%34%29%20

Thanks a ton again!

Wheel bearing!

Thanks! I searched up the noise on youtube after your reply and I think it might be just that!

What's the best way to check? (Other then mechanic)

Also, I was searching pelican parts, and they seem to only have the "FRONT" ones? Are these the same for the rear? Also, it says change in sets? Does it mean Front/Back, or Left/Right?

More details on doing this yourself will be greatly appreciated!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=999-053-041-03-M34&catalog_description=Wheel%20Bearing%2C%20Boxster%20Front%2FRear%20%28%31%39%39%37%2D%30%34%29%20Boxster%20S%20Front%20only%20%28%32%30%30%30%2D%30%34%29%20

Thanks a ton again!

Sometimes, if the bearing is bad enough, you can feel the play in the bearing by jacking up that side of the car and pulling on the wheel/tire. Place your hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and pull back and forth. If you feel any movement, the bearing is suspect.

You should replace the left and right on the same "axle" at the same time.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

I lifted the car on a jack today so the tire was about 2 inches off the ground and tried to see if the tire would move following the given instructions but the tire was very sturdy and didn't have any movement at all.. so I'm guessing it isn't the wheel bearing?

What do you guys think? What else could it be?

Thanks,

Hammad

mmmmm wobble wobble, you haven't run over an Umpa Lumpa recently and its got stuck in the under carriage?

Seriuosly though some wheel bearings can go bad but not cause any play, I currently have a car in my drive with just this problem except its more of a whire-whire-whire which gets louder as you get faster. One indicator is that they get noisier when you turn in one particular direction. You might look at your drive shaft joints also

lol aha just checked, no umpa lumpa stuck

should i book an appointment at the dealer to diagnose the issue then?

also how could i chck the drive shaft joints? (im sorry im not very technical)

Thanks!

Wheel Bearing! It can still make that noise while driving even if it feels solid and doesn't make a noise when spinning it with your hand. Unless you have the tool to press out the bearing, you might as well take it to a Porsche mechanic and save the headache.

Does it pull to one side or vibrate when you brake hard? It could be a slightly warped rotor making noise. Other idiot checks would be: Are you 100% positive all your lugs are tight? Are you getting any weird wear pattern on your tires? Have you ridden in the passenger seat to make sure the sound is coming from the right side? Another idea is your shock on that side.

I don't feel that it pulls to one side and I didnt notice any vibrations when braking hard. I just had the rotors and brakes changed less then 200kms ago! I hope they're not warped! Ill check the lugs in the morning ! Hoepfully its just that! lol

I haven't ridden in the passenger seat, no one else in my family knows how to drive manual :drive:

My biggest concern with going to the dealership for diagnostic is, its 125$ to diagnose but if u get the work done there they'll adjust the diagnostic fee (i would get the work done there but not right away in the same trip because I'd order the parts form pelican parts (considering its much cheaper then the dealer) and just have the dealer replace my part)

I'll try to record a video and see if i can catch the sound in the camera to show it to you guys. Also the sound seems to be louder with the roof up (but i think that might be a different sound from the roof, an issue i've seen discussed on the forum).

I'm still thinking its the bearings based on the sound...