Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM and Radio use question

Hi Guys

I just took posession of a 2005 997s Cab. I'm a bit confused with the PCM functionality.

Is it possible to have the PCM on and not have the radio on?

Currently each time I start the car, the radio comes on at low volume despite my turning the volume down all the way on the last drive.

I tried using the Mute function, but that gets reset each time you get into the car.

Thanks

The PCM has to be 'on' for any of the functions to work (ie. radio, NAV, etc).

I suspect you have to use the 'SET' function to pre-set the radio volume to the desire level or for that matter any of the functions requiring audio (ie. NAV).

When all else fails read the owner's manual.

I confess I have to cry uncle here.

The only volume set that I can find is the navigation talking volume.

Isn't there a way to just turn the radio off and have the PCM on?

I didn't see this covered in the PCM user guide.

Thanks

Edited by Skibum

• 10 months later...

Does anyone else have a suggestion with this? I too have wondered how to set the volume of the PCM on start-up. To me, the volume is too loud when I start the car, I always have to turn it down. I really don't want to have to remember to turn the PCM off before I take the key out each time.

• 8 months later...

Bob,

I know this is a rather old subject but I just posted the same question on my 2008 C2S with the radio and nav voices going on at the same time. Unfortunately I posted my question before searching and then saw your question. Did you resolve? In talking to the service manager at the local Porsche dealer here in Pasadena,CA, he wants me to bring my car in as he says something is wrong. Just wondering what you found out.

Thx,

It's CRAZY! I have the exact same problem. NO ONE can tell me how to turn of the ##@$%# radio without turning off the entire PCM. I've been relegated to making sure I turn off the entire system every time I shut down the car. Also, the radio/CD player will drown out the Nav. voice (my wife's 9 year old Lexus automatically adjusts the volume). I'll have to play with the settings to make the Nav. voice louder if I can.

Let me know if you or anyone ever figures this out, or if it's just a stupid design flaw.

Thx,

Vivadna & others,

My 2008 C2S goes into the dealer on 11/01 for service and the service mgr is going to check it out. In talking to two other 997 owners though (one at work who is an IT guru) believe the mute mode for radio/CD is not an option on our cars. It appears that you do have to either raise the level of the navigation sytem to basically over power the radio/CD. if this is fact, sure seems like a design flaw to me too. Will keep everyone posted on what the delaer has to say also. I am sort of surprised too that others with navigation and posslby use it more than me have not chimed in and responded.

Thanks to all that did....

Here is what I discovered while playing around with my system. Radio/CD can easily be silenced by simply pushing the audio button and then scrolling down to "mute" at the bottom righthand side. Then push the Nav" button and once "activated" and directions input, you will have only the "nav" voice. You can mute AM, FM or CD (whichever one is playing at the time). Or, you can adjust the radio/CD/Nav volume when you are in the "nav"mode. You simply push the "set" button (while in nav mode) and then select either "audio" or "fixed volume" and adjust accordingly based on personal preference. Hope this helps....

Tony