Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Abs And Battery Light - Intermittent

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

I have a 2000 996, 3.4. ~86K miles. A couple of days ago I was driving. I pressed on the gas and when I did, the climate control fan and radio turned off. I looked at the voltmeter and it spiked to 14+ volts. The instrument cluster showed an ABS and Battery light solid. I immediately slowed down to pull over and within 30 seconds, the A/C fan and radio came back on without a problem. However my ABS and battery light stayed on, then went out.

In the past couple of days, the ABS and battery light both come on intermittently then go off. My voltmeter on the dash registers about a 11 volts.

I hooked up my durametric and checked for fault codes. Under engine faults, the software indicated Porsche fault code of 107 - supply voltage exceeds limit; accompanied with a fault code of P0563.

The durametric indicated a low voltage reading under the ABS system.

I read the voltage through durametric and it fluctuated between 10.52 and 11.02 volts.

I just put in a brand new battery this past weekend and all connections are tight.

Could someone possibly identify the source of the problem(s)? Is it the alternator? Voltage regulator? or are there other things I can do to isolate the problem or is it simply the alternator going bad?

I appreciate any help.

Ken

Thanks for the help here. I was driving to take the alternator to get checked out and on my way, my instrument panel light up like a christmas tree. I turned around to get pointed towards my home and I lost all power. slowly, the electrical systems started to shut down. The radio, then fan, then my digital speedometer and when I pressed on the accelerator to get to the safe area on the side of the road, I had 0 power. Then the car went into hibernation and would not start.

If this still sounds like the voltage regulator is bad, then that would be lesser of the two evils in having to replace the alternator.

Thanks for the response to confirm if the problem is still the voltage regulator with the systems described earlier and above.

Ken

Your battery is as flat as a pancake because your alternator is not charging. When you remove (or have someone remove) and repair the alternator, you will need to charge the battery for at least 12 hours - probably more - on a trickle charger.

Don't think that you can start the car and drive round for half an hour and all will be charged up OK - because the battery is in a fully discharged state it will require some time to get fully operational again.