Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Cooling

amihyar

Hello,

I started restoring a 1975 911s Targa, one thing that caught my attention is the over heating as it can easily goes beyond 210F! I started investigating and discovered that it is not equipped with an auxiliary oil loop or heat exchanger!!! is this normal? are there any types came without it? if yes, can it be easily added or this should be consider a major thing.

any advise is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

• Admin

US cars had the J loop cooler in the right front fender.

If it is a 75 911 then make sure you have the 11 blade fan.

My 76 911S came with the 5 blade fan and the J loop cooler. I replaced the fan with the 11 blade and the turbo cooler in the right front fender. This dropped oil temperatures dramatically - about 20 degrees as I recall.

US cars had the J loop cooler in the right front fender.

If it is a 75 911 then make sure you have the 11 blade fan.

My 76 911S came with the 5 blade fan and the J loop cooler. I replaced the fan with the 11 blade and the turbo cooler in the right front fender. This dropped oil temperatures dramatically - about 20 degrees as I recall.

11 blade fan is already installed, no front loop or oil cooler! is this normal?

I'm not sure about RoW cars - as far as I know all US cars had the J loop cooler.

Was your car originally a US car?

Here is a link to book article on the upgrade - I did not do the electric fan part - just the turbo cooler.

http://books.google....ved=0CAgQ6AEwAQ

Hi Loren,

did you notice a difference in oil pressure when tracking after installing the turbo cooler? is there even a way to tell oil temp in our 99 996 c2?

• Admin

I'm not sure about RoW cars - as far as I know all US cars had the J loop cooler.

Was your car originally a US car?

Here is a link to book article on the upgrade - I did not do the electric fan part - just the turbo cooler.

http://books.google....ved=0CAgQ6AEwAQ

Hi Loren,

did you notice a difference in oil pressure when tracking after installing the turbo cooler? is there even a way to tell oil temp in our 99 996 c2?

Um... we are talking 74-77 911's in this thread not 996 series.

If you are asking about the turbo oil cooler on my MY76 911S - it made a huge difference. Maybe 50 degrees.

Most of my track time in those days was Texas World Speedway and it gets pretty hot there. Only other thing I did to reduce heat on that car was to get rid of the cat and replace it with a straight pipe.

Back in those days there were little or no penalties for removing emissions stuff.

I started restoring a 1975 911s Targa, one thing that caught my attention is the over heating as it can easily goes beyond 210F!

The 1976 was a good car as it was the first to have the zinc coated hot galvanized steel parts. It was also the first year of the 11-blade fan.

Does your car have thermal reactors? This was an early emission device that added heat below the engine and caused overheating, oil seal problems, and valve failure.

• Admin

The zinc coated hot galvanized steel parts did not start until mid production year 1976 - unfortunately my car was built before that change and it also had the 1975 5 blade fan.

My car was also a California car so it had the then 'California only' emissions. I suspect the original poster does not have a thermal reactor.

You are correct Loren, my car is non Cali porsche, there are no thermal reactors.

On the other hand while I am looking for the best available upgrade, I found the Mocal upgarde kit (KIT C: including thermostat, lines and front cooler), it is a full upgarde made for cars which came without front coolers, do you have any feedback or can anyone tell how good it is, or should I look only for original oil lines and cooler.

• Moderators

You are correct Loren, my car is non Cali porsche, there are no thermal reactors.

On the other hand while I am looking for the best available upgrade, I found the Mocal upgarde kit (KIT C: including thermostat, lines and front cooler), it is a full upgarde made for cars which came without front coolers, do you have any feedback or can anyone tell how good it is, or should I look only for original oil lines and cooler.

The Mocal kit is a good one, have used several over the years, well made and thermostat is a must have for colder climates. You will not be disappointed with it.

• 3 months later...