Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Horn Replacement

I noticed the horn in my 2003 Boxster S sounded a little funny lately. When I brought it in for an oil change and brake fluid flush, the dealer told me the high tone horn is out. He also told me a new horn was $190 plus tax and labor. My initial look for the horn found only the alarm horn near the battery, not the high and low tone horns. I've searched this forum and the internet and haven't found any how-to articles on where the horn is or how to replace it. I did see a couple of references to removing the front bumper cover to replace the horns.

Does the front bumper cover really need to be removed to replace the horns?

If so, is that a difficult job?

Are there any how-to articles anyone can point me to on removing and replacing the front bumper cover and/or replacing the horns?

Sorry if this has been covered already. I looked but couldn't find any detailed instructions. Thanks in advance.

I noticed the horn in my 2003 Boxster S sounded a little funny lately. When I brought it in for an oil change and brake fluid flush, the dealer told me the high tone horn is out. He also told me a new horn was $190 plus tax and labor. My initial look for the horn found only the alarm horn near the battery, not the high and low tone horns. I've searched this forum and the internet and haven't found any how-to articles on where the horn is or how to replace it. I did see a couple of references to removing the front bumper cover to replace the horns.

Are there any how-to articles anyone can point me to on removing and replacing the front bumper cover and/or replacing the horns?

Sorry if this has been covered already. I looked but couldn't find any detailed instructions. Thanks in advance.

Removing the front bumper is a relatively quick and easy DIY.

While you are in there, you might clean out the debris that accumulates behind the radiatiors.

Here's a DIY with nice photos and instructions: http://www.skylersrants.com/

Once you get to the site, click on "Skyler's Boxster" in the menu at the top left of the page, and then choose "accessing the radiators" from the list.

Regards, Maurice.

Thank you. It's been a while since I visited any Porsche forums, and had forgotten Skyler's great site. I now have a project.

Removing the front bumper is a relatively quick and easy DIY.

While you are in there, you might clean out the debris that accumulates behind the radiatiors.

Here's a DIY with nice photos and instructions: http://www.skylersrants.com/

Once you get to the site, click on "Skyler's Boxster" in the menu at the top left of the page, and then choose "accessing the radiators" from the list.

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 month later...

He also told me a new horn was $190 plus tax and labor.

THAT'S CRAZY! I sell these horns for something like $8 each - he's ripping you off. They are the same as some VW or Audi part. Easy to replace, here's a tech article on taking the bumper off: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/68-BODY-Front_Bumper_-_Wheel_Liner/68-BODY-Front_Bumper_-_Wheel_Liner.htm

Let me know if you have any questions...

-Wayne

How did it go - any tips or tricks?

Before installing the Italian airhorn, I had previously installed the tradition horns available from Pep Boys. They were very similar to "Tool Pants" posts. The Italian Horns were compact and even after installing a third radiator in my 98 (non-S) they fit easily above the radiator.

• 1 month later...

He also told me a new horn was $190 plus tax and labor.

THAT'S CRAZY! I sell these horns for something like $8 each - he's ripping you off. They are the same as some VW or Audi part. Easy to replace, here's a tech article on taking the bumper off: http://www.pelicanpa...Wheel_Liner.htm

Let me know if you have any questions...

-Wayne

Hey all, I finally did the horn replacement two weeks ago and cleaned out the radiators, ac condensors and oil cooler too. I bought the horns from Pelican Parts and followed Skyler's DIY blog and it really wasn't too hard. Got it done in about a 4 hours total. I also replaced both horns as long as I was in there and put the horns in with their trumpets facing backwards, in the hope that they won't fill up with water as easily and last a bit longer. The only thing I can add is that in removing the wheel well liners, there is an extra plastic rivet/button on the passenger side behind the MacPherson strut as the wheel well liner on that side has to cover the fuel tank inlet.

In fairness to the dealer I rechecked their price quote. The $190 quote was for parts and labor. But I still did it myself as I wanted to clean out the radiators,etc. which I didn't think their price included and I put the new horns in facing backwards which I didn't think they would do for me. For a fair-weather car with less than 21,000 miles on it, there were quite a few leaves in there.

My next project will be to sew back on the 2 convertible top velcro holding straps, part number 986 561 931 00, which have come unstitched from the top and are just hanging around the frame support tubes on both sides of the car.

Thanks again for all the advice.

post-34278-015915100 1280869585_thumb.jp

post-34278-054907700 1280869616_thumb.jp

post-34278-015653800 1280869632_thumb.jp

post-34278-036138600 1280869664_thumb.jp

• 4 years later...

Very helpful and easy to do. I did not have to take the wheels off though. Didn't look like the previous owner cleaned the radiator up at all. I had to change both horns for inspection so I cleaned her up while the front was off. Lots of debris. Also to those in Maryland, having the airbag light on will not fail the vehicle.

Edited by driver2014