Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How Can I Tell If It's A C4 Pr C4S?

:welcome:

The C4S was not introduced/produced until model year 2002 - so your car is a C4.

That makes sense then. haha

The seller says it's the wide version...

Would all 1999 C4's have the same width rear quaters or are some wider than others?

Thanks for the welcome!

• Admin

:welcome:

The C4S was not introduced/produced until model year 2002 - so your car is a C4.

That makes sense then. haha

The seller says it's the wide version...

Would all 1999 C4's have the same width rear quaters or are some wider than others?

Thanks for the welcome!

All 1999 - 2001 C4's have the same width, unless they somehow modified the one you are looking at. The rear is very hard to modify though - you would have to weld on new rear quarter panels.

Do you have any pictures and/or PM me the VIN.

Yeah I seriously doubt he widened the rears.

This is a picture he sent me. To me it looks NB.

It's a narrow body. I'd also be skeptical that it's a C4, there's no "4" on the back. Get some photos of the trunk (should be shallow and shaped differently than a C2), or the calipers (should be silver).

Mark

I own a C2 so I'm not totally qualified to answer this, but it seems you could also just look under the front of the car and see if the front wheels are driven or not. I assume there is a diff somewhere under there.

(edit note: get a picture under the car...)

Anyhow, lack of a 4 (and the S) means your seller doesn't' know what they are talking about :)

Simon

Edited by swynn97

Theres a few easy visual spot checks to tell the difference between a C4 & C4S

1.The C4S has the Turbos larger air intakes in the front bumper.

post-26847-127379075677_thumb.jpg

2.Wide-body rear wings (60mm or 2.4inch) to be exact.

3.The biggest clue is at the rear where you'll see a large diagonal reflector strip. (which is non illuminated thats a shame really, it would look cool)

post-26847-127378891713_thumb.jpg

The C4 has a more subtle body silhouette and is identical to the C2 in appearance other than silver callipers.

post-26847-127378995296_thumb.jpgpost-26847-127378997603_thumb.jpg

Also look in the boot area and you'll see if it's a C4 or C4S the boot will be smaller more shallow (about a third) over a C2,

this is because of the C4 4-wheel drive system.

James

Edited by JamesD

Awesome thanks for the info guys.

I did a carfax and it says C4. I just looked at the pictures and it has black calipers.

The owner says it has traction control, is this available for both C2's and C4's?

No photos of under carriage will find out for sure I guess when I go look at it.

• Admin

Awesome thanks for the info guys.

I did a carfax and it says C4. I just looked at the pictures and it has black calipers.

The owner says it has traction control, is this available for both C2's and C4's?

No photos of under carriage will find out for sure I guess when I go look at it.

PM me the VIN and I will tell you what the factory options for that car were.

Ok sending right now, THANKS!!

I just checked the carfax again and it said carrera/carrera 4 so still have no clue. LOL

Also anyway you can tell me if it's drive by wire or non drive by wire. I think early 99 had non drive by wire but I am totally new to the 996.

Thanks!

• Admin

Ok sending right now, THANKS!!

I just checked the carfax again and it said carrera/carrera 4 so still have no clue. LOL

Also anyway you can tell me if it's drive by wire or non drive by wire. I think early 99 had non drive by wire but I am totally new to the 996.

Thanks!

post-1-12738076179_thumb.png

996110 = Carrera (2) Coupe

C4 was not introduced until MY1999.

996410 = Carrera 4 Coupe

996411 = Carrera 4 Coupe RHD

then in MY2002

996430 = Carrera 4S Coupe

996431 = Carrera 4 Coupe RHD