Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello All,

The sunroof on my '99 C4 just started acting up. Started to close, it went ~1/2 way, stopped, and reversed. Trying again it will move part way, but not past half closed. It appears that it's not pulling evenly - something (broken cable?) on the drivers side. Has anyone dealt with this? Is this a DIY job? Parts cost?, Shop cost?

Thanks,

John

Hi Loren,

I tried your suggestion. No luck. The battery hasn't been disconnected for months. The sunroof has alway operated great, until today. When I atempt to close, the passenger side of the sunroof continues (briefly) to try to close when the drivers side stops. I also hear a binding/grinding noise on the drivers side track.

8 pages in the service manual - without motor removal.And if there is a frame problem - a lot more.

Not for the faint of heart...

Do you know where I can get my hands on these pages so that I can see what I'm up against. I'm willing to try the repair myself, as long as the information is clear, and no special tools or tricks are needed.

I was able to close the sunroof by using the "emergency" hex wrench that's located under the overhead console. There is definitely something going on with the drivers track either foreign matter or track failure. By chance I had ordered a Milwaukee 2300-20 inspection camera last week. I should have it in a few days and will "tilt" the sunroof, and use the camera to check the track. If I can fully diagnose the problem before any disassembly, I may save myself some headaches (and $$).

Edited by geotech1

I have to help by pushing on the sunroof as it's closing or else it will reopen about 50% of the time. I've had the track out and cleaned and lubed everything. Removing the track is not that hard. I feel that my motor is starting to go south and drawing too many amps causing the safety circuitry to kick in and reopen it some.

I have to help by pushing on the sunroof as it's closing or else it will reopen about 50% of the time. I've had the track out and cleaned and lubed everything. Removing the track is not that hard. I feel that my motor is starting to go south and drawing too many amps causing the safety circuitry to kick in and reopen it some.

Thanks Rick,

I suppose mine could be a similar problem, although from the noise I've heard coming from the driver's side track, I think that the problem is coming from there. I did have it parked outside the night before this problem started (not typical) with the sunroof tilted. This would have exposed the track to anything blowing around. If I find anything with the inspection camera, I’ll update the post. Unfortunately, the model I ordered doesn’t record images, as the more expensive units can.

• 2 years later...

I can use those instructions also. Mine was acting funky for a few weeks, having to press buttons repeatedly to get it to do what I wanted, until while closing the sunroof it made a pop sound and now will no longer slide back and forth, but will still tilt. I reset it according to the instructions but that didn't help.

PM sent.

8 pages in the service manual - without motor removal.And if there is a frame problem - a lot more.

Not for the faint of heart...

Do you know where I can get my hands on these pages so that I can see what I'm up against. I'm willing to try the repair myself, as long as the information is clear, and no special tools or tricks are needed.

I was getting ready to test the switch with a volt meter to see if that was the problem, got distracted for a few hours with something else, and left the ignition on and drained the battery. To my surprise after charging the battery back up the sunroof works just fine after a reset. So if the reset does not work for you, try disconnecting the battery to reboot the whole car before digging into it further.

and you might check the side curtains of the sunroof. There is a plastic curtain that attaches, poorly, to each side of the sunroof, and in theory blocks sun from the side and provides a sound and draft barrier when the sunroof is tilted. These are very flimsy and poorly attached and in my car caused the sunroof to close unevenly. One is loose and I routinely just push the plastic end piece up and out of the way if my sunroof has been open awhile and especially if I've been on bumpy roads. The other fouled up the track and I ended up just pulling all the plastic sheeting right outta there. Now works fine. Might be worth a look. Good luck.

The plastic side curtains look good. I found that by disconnecting the battery and recoonnecting would temporilary fix it. It'll work fine for a bit, but it's memory won't last very long. It seems to lift up too far at times, make a clunck, and jump forward and 1/8" or so. Other times it works ok, but won't respond when pressing any buttons, then it'll work again.