Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car Won't Start after replacing MAF

Hello,

Hopefully someone where has some ideas on this one.

I replace my MAF on my 01 996 C4 and after unplugging the battary for 50 seconds my car will not start.

I'm getting power from the battary an my lights and radio work however it won't turn over.

I have unplugged the new MAF and attempted to start the car with no luck.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem?

Thanks,

Rodney

I would suggest going through what you did again and making certain you have the battery cables on correctly & tight, and any other wires you may have disconnected in the process. Even if you disconnect the MAF it will not create the condition you describe. You can run the car with it unplugged or even removed (though not advised). So check all of your connections.

The only other thing I could think of, is if you somehow cleared the connection with the key....Try using your second key and see if you get a different result?

Good luck!

DC

DC thanks for your reply.I gave it another try and was able to start the car while the MAF was unplugged however if i plug it back in the car will not start.

Agree with PaulSpeed....There are a couple of different part numbers for these e-gas etc.. Also I assume you got this new? Some of the used ones on eBay may not work. Try installing your old one

and see what you get...then you will know it is the part.

Good luck!

DC

First of all thanks to everyone the replied. You guys are what make this site awesome.

I have checked the part # and it matches my old one as well as the number Loren provided above.

When i unplug the new unit the car does start.

While i did purchase this unit on ebay, it was from what i deemed a reputable seller with a ton of feedback on MAF transactions.

In addition the box did come with a seal and it is a bosch product for what it's worth.

Seems unusual as the car should run with or without a MAF. I know I forgot to plug the harness in on mine once and did not notice is until the CEL came on. Strange that it runs without the MAF but won't start with it plugged in.

• Admin

Seems unusual as the car should run with or without a MAF. I know I forgot to plug the harness in on mine once and did not notice is until the CEL came on. Strange that it runs without the MAF but won't start with it plugged in.

If you think about it - it must be shorted - because if it were open it would do the same as disconnecting it.

Loren,

By shorted you mean the MAF is bad, or is there something else that was shorted out?

Logically it would only be the MAF - because when it is in the circuit the car won't start --- correct?

I would consider reinstalling the old MAF and seeing if the car will start.