Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cabriolet roof opening sequence out of whack

I got my 1999 C2 cabriolet about a month ago. A week after I got it, the roof stopped working. It would go down just a little, then stop. I popped the back open and took a look at the moving parts, and sure enough one of the hydraulic cylinders was leaking. It looks like the guy who I bought it from had used some kind of epoxy to jerry-rig a fix that would last long enough for him to sell the car.

Anyway I managed to rebuild the cylinder, but I had the parts out of the back of the car for a couple of weeks, and meanwhile I was raising and lowering the roof semi-manually (using the mechanism to open the tonneau cover and unlatch the roof, then easing it down manually into the back, then using the mechanism again to lower the tonneau cover back down). This seemed to work the first couple of times, then after that the roof would not latch back on after I raised the roof, so I kept it down and just put the hardtop on the car (I did get an excellent deal, and the seller had included the hardtop).

After re-installing the rebuilt cylinders, the roof raised back up again without any problems. When I try to lower it, however, it stops for about two seconds halfway down, then resumes going opening. Then once the roof is fully down, the tonneau cover won't come down and the little side flaps (not sure what the official name is for those things) won't come up. From this position, when I close the roof, the tonneau cover starts moving down immediately, just as the roof is coming up, and they rub together as they go past each other.

I have searched up and down the internet and this forum for a solution, but unfortunately I have not found anything. I figure it's some kind of small computer controlling the choreography of all the different components involved it putting the roof up and down, and a series of microswitches that tell it when a particular component has moved to one of its endpoints. Is it possible that this computer got confused by the missing hydraulic cylinder combined with my manually opening and closing the roof, and just needs to somehow be resequenced? Or is it common that the microswitches or sensors that determine where the roof components are go bad and need to be replaced??

I would appreciate any insight into this issue.

There is a calibration function for the convertible tops. The dealer can do this with their special tools (used to be PST2, now a newer version) or the latest release of the Durametric OBD tool can recalibrate the top. This may fix your problem, although it could be more than calibration. There are a lot of micro switches, etc. in the system. Good luck.

• Admin

I got my 1999 C2 cabriolet about a month ago. A week after I got it, the roof stopped working. It would go down just a little, then stop. I popped the back open and took a look at the moving parts, and sure enough one of the hydraulic cylinders was leaking. It looks like the guy who I bought it from had used some kind of epoxy to jerry-rig a fix that would last long enough for him to sell the car.

Anyway I managed to rebuild the cylinder, but I had the parts out of the back of the car for a couple of weeks, and meanwhile I was raising and lowering the roof semi-manually (using the mechanism to open the tonneau cover and unlatch the roof, then easing it down manually into the back, then using the mechanism again to lower the tonneau cover back down). This seemed to work the first couple of times, then after that the roof would not latch back on after I raised the roof, so I kept it down and just put the hardtop on the car (I did get an excellent deal, and the seller had included the hardtop).

After re-installing the rebuilt cylinders, the roof raised back up again without any problems. When I try to lower it, however, it stops for about two seconds halfway down, then resumes going opening. Then once the roof is fully down, the tonneau cover won't come down and the little side flaps (not sure what the official name is for those things) won't come up. From this position, when I close the roof, the tonneau cover starts moving down immediately, just as the roof is coming up, and they rub together as they go past each other.

I have searched up and down the internet and this forum for a solution, but unfortunately I have not found anything. I figure it's some kind of small computer controlling the choreography of all the different components involved it putting the roof up and down, and a series of microswitches that tell it when a particular component has moved to one of its endpoints. Is it possible that this computer got confused by the missing hydraulic cylinder combined with my manually opening and closing the roof, and just needs to somehow be resequenced? Or is it common that the microswitches or sensors that determine where the roof components are go bad and need to be replaced??

I would appreciate any insight into this issue.

Where are you located - I have a PST2.

There is a calibration function for the convertible tops. The dealer can do this with their special tools (used to be PST2, now a newer version) or the latest release of the Durametric OBD tool can recalibrate the top. This may fix your problem, although it could be more than calibration. There are a lot of micro switches, etc. in the system. Good luck.

Thanks a bunch. I figure I need to pick up a Durametric tool anyway; it pretty much seems like a must-have when buying a used car.

Edited by SteveMeckman

Steve-where did you get the seals for the cylinders ?I have one leaking and need to fix it .

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, I had a guy here in Sarasota make them for me. I think the dealer wanted $90 a piece, for what ends up being a $0.25 part. I think I was quoted $600 for the cylinder, LOL. I understand that as Porsche owners, we are expected to pay a premium for parts, but that is ridiculous. My guy now has the tooling for the seals, so he should be able to crank out a bunch more. Let me talk to him and get back with you on his pricing.

By the way, when I say that I managed to rebuild the cylinders, I meant that my much more capable friend was able to do it. The problem with the cylinder is that the mount is part of the arm, so he had to saw it off to open the cylinder. He explained how he fused it back together but I can't remember the details so I'll have to ask him again.

Edited by SteveMeckman

Steve-where did you get the seals for the cylinders ?I have one leaking and need to fix it .

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, I had a guy here in Sarasota make them for me. I think the dealer wanted $90 a piece, for what ends up being a $0.25 part. I think I was quoted $600 for the cylinder, LOL. I understand that as Porsche owners, we are expected to pay a premium for parts, but that is ridiculous. My guy now has the tooling for the seals, so he should be able to crank out a bunch more. Let me talk to him and get back with you on his pricing.

By the way, when I say that I managed to rebuild the cylinders, I meant that my much more capable friend was able to do it. The problem with the cylinder is that the mount is part of the arm, so he had to saw it off to open the cylinder. He explained how he fused it back together but I can't remember the details so I'll have to ask him again. I trust the guy, he designs hydraulic systems for a living so this was completely up his alley.

Nothing is ever simple .Looks like the sawing apart would be easy .Not so sure about the fusing part .But if done once -not impossible .Any further info greatly appreciated .

Dave

If anyone is interested, PM me and I can get you in touch with the guy who rebuilt my cylinder.

I am interested in the contact as I have a cylinder leaking also.

My e-mail address is spanky9850.

Thanks for your help