Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with some tires

1999 996 C2 coupe 6 speed w/17inch wheels...

Could someone explain what the "N" rating is. I was at Firestone and America's Tires here in Portland last weekend. Employees in both stores said they never heard of a N, N1, N2, N3 rated or coded tire. But they 'assurred' me that they put tires on 100's of P cars up here which really didn't make me feel real comfortable.

Any opinions on brand or type for my 99 996 C2 with 17's?

Most of my driving is dry surface daytime with some rain esp in winters.

Thx...

Jim

• Admin

N Rating is a tire approval mark provided by Porsche when they have tested the tires to meet their specifications for handling, traction, and wear. Tire makers "N ratings" are only for the specific tire and model. When a tire maker changes a tire they must get it re-certified with Porsche - so an N2 (N3, N4, etc.) are certifications of newer tire by the same maker.

For a MY99 Carrera

Approved Summer Tires are:

Front: 205/50 ZR 17

Rear: 255/40 ZR 17

Bridgestone Potenza S-02A N4 Directional

Continental SportContact 2 N2 Specific side only

Michelin Pilot Sport N2 Directional

Pirelli PZero Rosso N3 Specific side only

Approved Winter Tires are:

Front: 205/50 R 17 89 V M+S

Rear: 255/40 R 17 98 V XL M+S

Pirelli Winter W240 Snowsport N1

N rated tires are not required. As Loren said they have just been approved. Non N rated tires with similar performance specifications are just as good and usually less expensive. Check out www.tirerack.com for other choices and probably better pricing than what you can get locally.

Considering how many people have said they do not like either the stock continentals or pirellis I think the N rating is a bunch of marketing (to be polite). Porsche is hardly the only high performance car maker. No other marque feels the need to spec special tires.

It also depends on how you are going to drive. If you going to be constantly driving at 130+mph then you might want to be a bit pickier about what tire you use. If all you are going to do is every day street legal driving then any decent V rated tire or better is fine.

OK Thanks for the link...it was interesting...I'm not certain that a tire manufacturer agreeing to put a special designation "N" on their tire would necessarily mean as the link points out that special rubber compounds are used on that designation only. Compared to all the other users of similar tires it seems to me that the tire manufacturer would be incurring a large production cost for so small a market (P/cars only) for such a special tire.

I guess what I am seeing, though, based on the comments received so far...that "N" are fine if you can find them but certainly other tires are perfectly acceptable.

Thx for your response...

Jim

I guess what I am seeing, though, based on the comments received so far...that "N" are fine if you can find them but certainly other tires are perfectly acceptable.

It has to be said, however, that the apparent technical knowledge of tyre technology of the people volunteering their views so far (with the notable exception of Loren and Toolpants, of course) barely extends beyond "something black and round".

Consequently, I'm not sure what information you are able to derive from their views.

Cheers

Uwe

Here are a few minor points to consider. The "N" marking can indeed mean different tread patterns; for example the 2002 Michelin Pilot Sport 225-40 x 17 was available with the "N*" and without; looking at them side by side they were very different tread patterns. I've found the the "N" rated Michelin PS2s for my GT3 are great tires, but I'm sure there are others that work well, with and without the "N". I wouldn't worry about the "N" but I'm happy to follow Porsche recommendations.

It has to be said, however, that the apparent technical knowledge of tyre technology of the people volunteering their views so far (with the notable exception of Loren and Toolpants, of course) barely extends beyond "something black and round".

Consequently, I'm not sure what information you are able to derive from their views.

Cheers

Uwe

At least we are expressing our opinions on point.