Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic Selector really stiff

My C2s tiptronic slector lever becomes really hard to shift out of drive and into N, R or P after anything more than a 2minute run. The car is an November 04, I bought it 3 months ago from an independent dealer in the UK. AFAIK its been out of the OPC network since 06.

The gears shift fine and the switches on the steering wheel work fine, its just the selector lever.

A local independent has had a look and replaced a bush in there somewhere as he's seen this problem before, but this has made no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem (is it in fact a normal thing - this is my first experience of a Porsche - but both my other cars are autos and dont have this problem)? Or is it something that can be remedied simply? I found a thread on the 987 section here, where there was apparently a recall, but how would this affect me, would I have to pay the OPC to rectify it?

Cheers for any help.

My MY 2005 997S w/ TIP of course exhibits the same shifting issue. It's doing it since I bought the car (2007) so I simply thought it was some heat related issue. I don't think I ever asked my Porsche service shop what the problem was since it didn't really bother me.

Let us know if you find a definitive answer.

My C2s tiptronic slector lever becomes really hard to shift out of drive and into N, R or P after anything more than a 2minute run. The car is an November 04, I bought it 3 months ago from an independent dealer in the UK. AFAIK its been out of the OPC network since 06.

The gears shift fine and the switches on the steering wheel work fine, its just the selector lever.

A local independent has had a look and replaced a bush in there somewhere as he's seen this problem before, but this has made no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem (is it in fact a normal thing - this is my first experience of a Porsche - but both my other cars are autos and dont have this problem)? Or is it something that can be remedied simply? I found a thread on the 987 section here, where there was apparently a recall, but how would this affect me, would I have to pay the OPC to rectify it?

Cheers for any help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have the same problem with triptonic shifter being hard to move in a 2005 997 C2. I called the dealer service manager said he had seen this problem once before. The dealer asked me if anything was ever spilled in there, since i bought it used with 48k on it i have no history on it. It sounds like a grease thing to me taking it apart today to investigate as i have only a limited PowerPoint warranty. WWW.macarbon.com has instructions how to remove most of the center console stuff around the shifter, we will see.

• 2 years later...

wanted to bring this post back from the dead as my '06 exhibits ocassionally hard to shift gear selector. seems to happen after long drives. anyone have any ideas as to the cause? Dealer has idea - replace shifter cable. I submitted question to pca tech board with no reply yet. Tks!!

The best way to test this, is to disconnect the cable from the shifter and see if the resistance is completely gone. This is not that easy as it will involve some extensive interior removal to access the connection at shifter.

Disconnecting the cable from the trans will not give you any useful data, unless the TIP itself is binding (unlikely).

Skoot

The best way to test this, is to disconnect the cable from the shifter and see if the resistance is completely gone. This is not that easy as it will involve some extensive interior removal to access the connection at shifter.

Disconnecting the cable from the trans will not give you any useful data, unless the TIP itself is binding (unlikely).

Skoot

thanks. sounds like i'll have to put up with it for awhile and see if i can figure out more about what causes it to happen. right off the bat, dealer suggested replacing a cable from underneath the car for about a grand i think.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 2 of a 2006 Turbo, and after taking it for a reserved drive for about an hour I found this issue. Lever feels stiff, and has trouble finding engaged position between D, N & R.

After fighting with it a little it sits ok, but it isn't slotting into the correct position easily and often presents the Selector Lever Not Engaged error.

Anyone have any further insight to add?

Well, if as Simonthackeray and you relate it only occurs after the car has been driven a while than it is most certainly is not the lever. The lever would not care if the car is warm or not. It has to be the tranny. Changing fluid and checking for codes would be a start. After that you are into serious business. Lord knows what PDK transmissions will do to us 10 years down the line.

• 6 months later...

Have the exact same issue (2006 C4S): when driven in manuel it gets tighter than when driven in aut - but under any circumstance, it gets tighter as temp rises.

Only had the car for 3 months so don't know if it's been like this always - suspect that it might has though....since it's an issue that doesn't interfere with operation during driving, naturally.

But if fixable without taking the var to pieces naturally it would be great to have it fixed, so;

Did anybody finally find the cause / how to fix...

here's a response I got from the pac.org question I submitted. Seems like it's going to be a tough and most likely expensive one to fix. when i asked the dealer i go to, the 1st thing he suggested is replacing some linkage/cable underneath the car, but could not guarantee results. As it doesn't happen all the time to me, I decided to hold off.

gear selector hard to move997 | Transmission

Model: 997, Year:2006, Mileage:30000, Type of use:Street use only
thought I had submitted this - but maybe not. My center console gear selector is very hard to move after after periods of use. Does not happen all the time - maybe occasionally after long drives - D to P, D to R, etc… Just very hard to move. Any ideas? Thanks! PS it's a Tiptronic

11/12/2013 10:37:52 PM
There are only a few moving parts that could cause a stiff shifter. Starting from the shifter itself, to the sliding silver cover over the shifter, to the shift cable and finally the transmission. It really comes down to a process of elimination. In my opinion the shifter cover is the most likely culprit and it would also be the easiest place to start as the shifter cover is removed quite easily. It is possible that there is some dirt/debris between the slider and the fixed portion of the trim cover. You could remove the shifter cover and continue to drive the vehicle to see if your issue returns. If the cover is not the cause of the resistance the shift cable itself could be getting gummed up causing the shifter to move with more effort. Perhaps the concern is with the transmission selector lever on or in the transmission. If the concern rears its head after long drives it is possible that it is related to the temperature of the vehicle. Unfortunately a concern like this is difficult to find the source unless you can repeatedly duplicate the concern. Try paying extra close attention to the events leading up to the shifter becoming stiff. You will need to isolate the individual components to find out which item is causing your concern. The shifter trim cover can be removed and the vehicle driven to see if it is the root cause but the other components cannot be checked while the vehicle is being driven. Further diagnosis will need to be done when the shifter is acting up. With the stiff shifting concern present you can remove the shift cable from the transmission and the shifter assembly which would isolate each component. With each component isolated you should find your culprit.

Dustin Aydt [sVR]
2/4/2014 12:30:49 AM

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Sorry, thought I had posted my fix. Dealer 1st replaced gearshift - 997 426 011 02 and still had issue. Then replaced cable 99742603301. Problem solved. They were fair and gave me a credit for the difference - 1st was more expensive. 

Good luck

33 minutes ago, WTL said:

Sorry, thought I had posted my fix. Dealer 1st replaced gearshift - 997 426 011 02 and still had issue. Then replaced cable 99742603301. Problem solved. They were fair and gave me a credit for the difference - 1st was more expensive. 

Good luck

Thanks for the response I will replace the cable then. Wish me luck!

1 hour ago, Jake Wratt said:

Wait! I had this issue resolved through my local Porsche dealership - they slightly loosened a nut in the selector mechanism and lubricated it, and it fixed it completely. This was over five years ago and it has never returned.

Nice, I will try this first. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...