Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can Boxster ignition switch be re-keyed?

The door and center storage are keyed alike but different than the ignition on my 99 Boxster - can the ignition be re-keyed to match the door?

It might be easier to get the door re-keyed to match the ignition. Just a thought, but not sure.

Regards, Maurice.

Takes 5 mins to pull the ignition switch - looking in the service manual it looks like a lot more work to pull the door lock with the airbag and such. Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Bill

Bill:

No, you may be right... I have a lot more experience (not by choice) in pulling off the door panel to access the door lock. eek.gif

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir
  • Upvote 1

Looking in the PET I see lock cylinders available with and w/o stipulated lock numbers.

If I purchase a ignition lock cylinder w/o stipulated lock number can that cylinder then be 'keyed' by a locksmith to match my door key?

Trying to get the ignition to match the door and center console locks - since I have 2 different ones I don't know which of the 2 locks would match my VIN (but since 2 (door and center console) of the 3 locks match it might be safe to say the door is the original). Still can't think how this got this way (and don't have access to the previous owners) - doubt you would change the center console lock if the door lock got buggered for some reason.

Bill

I think you have two issues to deal with, and getting the cylinder in the ignition switch to make the door is one thing, getting the electronics to read it is a different story. There is a round ring that goes in the dash around where the ignition key goes in, that ring reads the key to see if it should let the car run. Can a Porsche key blank be changed in the key or is it made part of the key? VW is molded, but Land Rover can change the key blank.

Trying to figure out why someone would have changed the ignition cylinder, the only thing I can come up with is the ECU or BCU got wet and had to be replaced. If they were replaced with a used unit that were coded to another car that would explain the two keys. Does the key fob for your ingition switch lock/unlock the doors? Do you have the third valet key?

Based on experience with a VW Cabrio and the "two keys" issue, it was easier to have the door and console keyed to match the ignition key, because of the programming required to replace the ignition key. Check with the local locksmith shops to see if they can key it.

And, let us know what you find.

• Upvote 1

I'm about to go down this road with the entire ignition assembly replacement ... that's how you end up with two different keys. In my case, it's a '99 Boxster. And, yes, I've already replaced the electrical portion and am careful to not have too many keys on the ring. Still, at 70K miles, not too bad, I guess.