Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can a PIWIS be used on older cars with the round socket?

• Admin

Yes, if you have the proper cable it will work on the older cars too. Finding a proper cable may be the hard part...

PIWIS (1) actually includes both PST2 software and PIWIS software - so it uses PST2 software for the older cars and PIWIS for the newer cars.

There is a peice from China ( where else) that claims to be able to attach to an OBDII cable and plug into the Porsche round connection. They have sent me 3 units and all 3 failed to work on a PST2 with a PIWIS and the OBDII cable.

I will let you know if I find a successful cable to work a PIWIS clone on an 88 thru 95 Porsche

There is a peice from China ( where else) that claims to be able to attach to an OBDII cable and plug into the Porsche round connection. They have sent me 3 units and all 3 failed to work on a PST2 with a PIWIS and the OBDII cable.

I will let you know if I find a successful cable to work a PIWIS clone on an 88 thru 95 Porsche

Yes, I noticed the ones on ebay (from china). The main thing is that at least the connectors are correct, and they have all the pins. Looking at the Durametric one, only 5 or so pins are used. We could dissect the china cable and modify the wires so that we get a working cable. But, we will need some sort of pin-out diagram , or wiring diagram. What do you think?

The adapter cables for OBD2 to 19-pin are available from this Canadian company, although they are made in China: http://www.sensoluti...tx_commerce_pi1[mDepth]=2

Looks good. Like the Durametric one, only a few of the pins are used, compared to the China ones on ebay.

Does anybody have the Durametric professional kit that has the converter cable, and also has a PIWIS? Perhaps we can try the Durametric adapter with the PIWIS to see if it works. Loren?

• Admin

The adapter cables for OBD2 to 19-pin are available from this Canadian company, although they are made in China: http://www.sensoluti...tx_commerce_pi1[mDepth]=2

Looks good. Like the Durametric one, only a few of the pins are used, compared to the China ones on ebay.

Does anybody have the Durametric professional kit that has the converter cable, and also has a PIWIS? Perhaps we can try the Durametric adapter with the PIWIS to see if it works. Loren?

I can confirm the Durametric round cable converter does plug into my PIWIS cable. I do not have a car to test it on -- and who will pay for my PIWIS if the cable smokes it? :eek:

I can confirm the Durametric round cable converter does plug into my PIWIS cable. I do not have a car to test it on -- and who will pay for my PIWIS if the cable smokes it? :eek:

Ooh yes. I didn't think about that.

Yes, if you have the proper cable it will work on the older cars too. Finding a proper cable may be the hard part...

PIWIS (1) actually includes both PST2 software and PIWIS software - so it uses PST2 software for the older cars and PIWIS for the newer cars.

I have the genuine Porsche cable with the 'round' plug for older cars.

I would need to connect my PST2 rather than my PIWIS though.

I have the genuine Porsche cable with the 'round' plug for older cars.

I would need to connect my PST2 rather than my PIWIS though.

Is that then a different cable than what I need?

Is that then a different cable than what I need?

If you have a 996 (and the cable is for that car) then you need the newer OBD2 cable not the round one.

I have a PIWIS on short term loan at the moment, and am trying help out some friends and get it to work on a 964 and a 993.

The cable to PIWIS connection (plug) is different to that of the older PST2.

On the PST2 the is a short adapter cable that connects to either the round or OBD2 cable.

I assume that is the adapter cable you are referring to Richard.

So to make my PST2 'Round' cable to work on the PIWIS I would need to make a new adapter.

There isn't a short adapter cable on the PIWIS.

The adapter I made used an OBD2 socket, and a 19-pin plug. Using wiring diagrams from the Bosch EsiTronic system and the workshop manuals, I matched the diagnostic connections on the 19-pin plug to the appropriate pins on the OBD2 socket. IIRC there were connections for K-line, L-line, TD, Knock, 12v and Ground. Like I said, it worked on the PST2, so it should work with the PIWIS, I would have thought. I'll try to dig out my notes and post the diagrams over the weekend.

The adapter I made used an OBD2 socket, and a 19-pin plug. Using wiring diagrams from the Bosch EsiTronic system and the workshop manuals, I matched the diagnostic connections on the 19-pin plug to the appropriate pins on the OBD2 socket. IIRC there were connections for K-line, L-line, TD, Knock, 12v and Ground. Like I said, it worked on the PST2, so it should work with the PIWIS, I would have thought. I'll try to dig out my notes and post the diagrams over the weekend.

The adapter cable that comes with the PST2 goes the other end ie the PST end.

Perhaps I am confusing you. When I refer to an adapter cable, I mean one like the Sensolutions/Durametric one, which converts the OBD2 cable into a 19-pin cable. This has an OBD2 Socket on one end, and a 19-pin plug on the other.

post-4000-0-83566500-1288365717_thumb.jp

I dug out my notes, and here is the schematic I used for the adapter/converter lead:

post-4000-0-91283300-1288365056_thumb.jp

Note that the 19-pin diagram is a view looking at the socket. The dotted line between pins 3 and 7 of the OBD2 plug is to join two K-line connections. In both my PST2 and PIWIS cables there is already a wire joining these two connections, so I had no need to put it in my adapter cable. I guess I should add that you try it at your own risk, but it worked for me.

Edit: The PIWIS instructions list: "Diagnostics adapter cable for diagnostics lines with round plug socket" Part number: 000 721 971 81

Edit 2: I remembered that a friend of mine has a Sensolutions adapter, so I got him to check the connections. It is wired the same as my schematic, except that the Knock and TD (engine speed) wires are not connected. All the important diagnosis ones are though.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Perhaps I am confusing you. When I refer to an adapter cable, I mean one like the Sensolutions/Durametric one, which converts the OBD2 cable into a 19-pin cable. This has an OBD2 Socket on one end, and a 19-pin plug on the other.

post-4000-0-83566500-1288365717_thumb.jp

I dug out my notes, and here is the schematic I used for the adapter/converter lead:

post-4000-0-91283300-1288365056_thumb.jp

Note that the 19-pin diagram is a view looking at the socket. The dotted line between pins 3 and 7 of the OBD2 plug is to join two K-line connections. In both my PST2 and PIWIS cables there is already a wire joining these two connections, so I had no need to put it in my adapter cable. I guess I should add that you try it at your own risk, but it worked for me.

Edit: The PIWIS instructions list: "Diagnostics adapter cable for diagnostics lines with round plug socket" Part number: 000 721 971 81

Edit 2: I remembered that a friend of mine has a Sensolutions adapter, so I got him to check the connections. It is wired the same as my schematic, except that the Knock and TD (engine speed) wires are not connected. All the important diagnosis ones are though.

Fantastic info, just what I needed! Thanks Richard.

I have a 19 pin round connector on order and will be attempting this shortly.

I did consider the Sensolutions cable but when ordering, the shipping was more than the cable itself. Not that the small amount of money is a problem, I wasn't assured if it was the right cable in the first place. It was helpful that your friend managed to check out the connections on his Sensolutions cable. Would you know if he has ever tried it with a PIWIS?

What do the Knock and TD connections do, and would the PIWIS be able to use them?

I know he has used it on a PST2 and it is OK. As Loren says, the PIWIS uses the older PST2 software for the earlier cars, so I think it would work.

The Knock wire is for knock detection, and the TD connection for engine speed. I don't think the PIWIS would use these signals though.

Where are you getting the 19-pin plug from? Do you have a link?

I know he has used it on a PST2 and it is OK. As Loren says, the PIWIS uses the older PST2 software for the earlier cars, so I think it would work.

The Knock wire is for knock detection, and the TD connection for engine speed. I don't think the PIWIS would use these signals though.

Where are you getting the 19-pin plug from? Do you have a link?

Sensolutions has one here:

http://www.sensolutions.com/products/browse-products/manufacturer-specific/19-pin-round-diagnostic-connector-for-porsche/

But shipping was excessive to my country. So in the end I went with a 16pin to 19pin adapter from ebay (china) like mentioned by Porschelibrarian, that may or may not work, and when I have it in hand I'm going to dissect it and wire it according to your diagram. It is fully pinned, all 19 pins, so I will attempt to remove the extra ones. I am not comfortable having all the pins connected even though they are not needed!

A search on ebay will turn up quite a few of these adapters.

I have seen one of those with all pins populated, and it was rubbish. The connections were TOTALLY wrong and there was no chance of it working. The plugs are moulded on, so you would have to destroy it to get it apart. I suggest you cut the cable and splice the correct wires together.

Where are you located, that the shipping was more expensive than the part?

Edited by Richard Hamilton

I have seen one of those with all pins populated, and it was rubbish. The connections were TOTALLY wrong and there was no chance of it working. The plugs are moulded on, so you would have to destroy it to get it apart. I suggest you cut the cable and splice the correct wires together.

Where are you located, that the shipping was more expensive than the part?

Yes, I was going to cut the wires, and connect the correct wires accoridng to your diagram, and then dremel out the unwated pins. I'm located in Singapore.

Thanks for the help!!