Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Normal crank to start?

Hello. I'm new here with my new-to-me 07 997.1 and am still learning the feel of the car.

I'm concerned that it doesn't seem to start as quickly as I expect. When starting, the engine would take 5-6 "turns" before the engine finally starts. Starts each time, though, but this is quite different from the BMW I used prior to this.

Is this normal?

I've searched the forums and have found several posts on cranking but am not clear if it's the same problem (most would not start, or have a very slow crank).

Would have it checked at the dealer if I have to but time is not a luxury right now...

Hello. I'm new here with my new-to-me 07 997.1 and am still learning the feel of the car.

I'm concerned that it doesn't seem to start as quickly as I expect. When starting, the engine would take 5-6 "turns" before the engine finally starts. Starts each time, though, but this is quite different from the BMW I used prior to this.

Is this normal?

I've searched the forums and have found several posts on cranking but am not clear if it's the same problem (most would not start, or have a very slow crank).

Would have it checked at the dealer if I have to but time is not a luxury right now...

Stig:

Not sure what is normal for an '07 997, but, as long as your battery is in good shape, you do have the advantage of having the engine get more thorough lubrication before it starts up.

In effect, you are getting "pre-oiling", which is a benefit. There are various statistics out there, but the general consensus is that 80% of engine wear occurs on start-up, before oil has had a chance to reach all of the critical camshaft lobes, etc...

I am curious to know other members' opinion on this.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

welcome black stig. love the screen name. my buddy was actually the american stig!!!!

my 997.1 seems to crank slowly as well. runs perfect but i also wondered about this. interesting lubrication theory. never heard it before but...

again, welcome and hope you enjoy your p car as much i have.

toby

welcome black stig. love the screen name. my buddy was actually the american stig!!!!

my 997.1 seems to crank slowly as well. runs perfect but i also wondered about this. interesting lubrication theory. never heard it before but...

toby

Thanks, guys!

I'm in "observation mode" right now but wondering if there is anything I need to do.

toby

Thanks, guys!

I'm in "observation mode" right now but wondering if there is anything I need to do.

I've had my 08 Targa 4S for about a month and it does seem to crank slowly , also. It has a brand new battery, so guess it's normal.

I've had my 08 Targa 4S for about a month and it does seem to crank slowly , also. It has a brand new battery, so guess it's normal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the main reason the key is on the left is so drivers can get to start the car fast (LeMans start), put it in gear, and go. Waiting for the engine to fire up seem to defeat that design.

:unsure:

• Moderators

@ Black Stig, one of the reasons concerning the problem you describe can be found by the camshaft sensor(s) or crankshaft sensor, therefore a PIWIS diagnostic tool is needed to look for fault codes and further examinations

Thanks. I guess I'll have to schedule a visit to the dealer to make sure there are no fault codes. Without comparing similar cars side by side, it's pretty hard to say what really is normal.

It is comforting to hear that not everyone's car is "instant on" and maybe I really don't have a problem.

Appreciate the inputs!

2 more cents on the matter: I noticed a relatively "weak/slow" cranking from the moment I bought the car. While it was under warranty I had the problem diagnosed by the dealer and they decided to replace both the starter cable and battery. It definitely imporved (has been 6 months now) but I still feel the car is a relativly weak comapred to most other vehicles I own or drive.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to schedule a visit to the dealer to make sure there are no fault codes. Without comparing similar cars side by side, it's pretty hard to say what really is normal.

It is comforting to hear that not everyone's car is "instant on" and maybe I really don't have a problem.

Appreciate the inputs!

I read on one of the other threads that the 997-2 has a heavier gauge alternator wire that improves cranking. You might want to look into that.

Good luck

I have a new to me 06 C2 and it is exactly the same way. The car always starts, but the starter motor turns over at a slow revolution rate compared to a honda for example. I've talked to many 997 owners on the subject and it seems to just be the normal sound for this engine. Mine takes about 5-6 revolutions to fire up as well.

• 1 month later...

recently received the porsche branded battery tender as a gift. my car is not a daily driver, and the ease of use, coupled with quicker starts and peace of mind, make it well worth the money. yes, you can buy cheaper battery tenders (even the same one minus the porsche logo). but c'mon.

I am new to the forum...

I had similar problems recently on my 997.1 C2S, took it to the dealer and they told me that there was a TSB to replace the battery wire. Tyne dealer also replaced my battery. The car now cranks on the turn of the key.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently traded an '08 Cayman for a Carrera 4. The Carrera is definitely slower to start. The Cayman engine sprung to life; the Carrera certainly labors. I use a battery tender religiously, so I wrote it off as the same size battery trying to turn over a larger displacement engine. I still worry a bit every time I turn the key in a remote location.

Edited by sx797

Same, had a boxster S it cranked strong fired up straight away. Now I have a 911 C4S and everytime it cranks I think i'm going to be calling roadside assist. But it starts everytime , and it was 5F this morning.

My 08 C4S Tip makes me wince every time I start it up too. Ive only had it a month so far and was wondering if I bought a lemon.

Yall's comments make me feel a little better and Im definitely going to bring it to the dealer when the weather gets nicer out here in the NE.

• 1 month later...

My MY06 997 C2S does all you have described. When cold it cranks slower than I would expect but never to the point where I think it's not going to light up. But stop for fuel when it's hot and I cross my fingers every time, so far it's not refused to start but the cranking is so slow that it hardly manages to beat the compression on the engine. Thankfully the engine itself is very willing to start no matter how slow it cranks.

I've done all the usual, checked battery, changed battery, checked charging, left it on a charger - non of this makes any difference. Eventually I decided to change the starter motor and picked one up on ebay for £75. When I came to change the starter I discovered that (1) it was b*****y hard to get at the bottom mounting bolt and (2) the main cable and rubber boot over the crimp that bolts to the starter has severe heat damage. It's clear that there's a high resistance connection which is obeying Joule's first law and generating much heat. At this point I abandoned my efforts to change the starter and had a poor effort of additional crushing the crimp with mole grips. Initially this made a huge difference and I realised that the engine had been cranking slower than designed even when cold. For about 2 month it's been perfect but in the last week things have started to slow down again. Plan B is to borrow a proper hydraulic crimping tool (16 tonnes force) and really give this a good squeeze. I'll let you know how I get on. Plan C (if needed) will be to make up a new cable from the starter down to the junction with the long cable to the front end. Can anyone tell me where to find that junction - I've not been able to track that down yet.

• 2 months later...

Same, had a boxster S it cranked strong fired up straight away. Now I have a 911 C4S and everytime it cranks I think i'm going to be calling roadside assist. But it starts everytime , and it was 5F this morning.

Exactly the same story here, brother-in-laws 996 is also a slow cranker so it must be a characteristic!!!

dw

• 7 months later...

Wow... Old thread. If you're getting a slow start, I'd recommend that you have the battery and charging system checked. That's easy enough with a voltmeter. If those check good, you should look at replacing the "b plus" cable (between the alternator and starter). I was having a slow crank on my 08 Carrera S, had the "b plus" cable replaced under warranty, and now it cranks like a champ.