Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just got as a birthday gift a XM satelite radio with a Gift cert. for a free install from Bestbuy...

1. Any sugestions on the install to keep the factory look? :D

2. I also have teh CDR 220... Is it compatible? :confused:

3. Can / should I have the installers try to hook it up to it some how?

Paul

post-2085-1103180611.jpg

I just got as a birthday gift a XM satellite radio with a Gift cert. for a free install from Bestbuy...

1.  Any suggestions on the install to keep the factory look?  :D

2.  I also have the CDR 220... Is it compatible?

3.  Can / should I have the installers try to hook it up to it some how?

Tough to keep the factory look, unless you mount it loosely and set it in one of the front pockets. With XM you don't change the channels as much as radio, but too often to stick it in the glove box. I bought the slimmer terk because it wedged perfectly into the pocket/tray and the color matched my interior.

The delphi requires a car kit that attaches to the cdr 220 radio input. This is termed 'FM modulation' and is not the best sound for purist's, but I have never noticed. It will work on any radio with an antenna, even the 2003 CDR 23 MOST systems.

Installing requires removing the radio and patching into power lines, and maybe some drilling, depending on where you want it. If you have never done this before, you should probably have the installers do it.

Personally, I don't think the delphi is the most attractive option, but none of them are. It boils down to what you like.

drpeter

Paul,

Not too familiar with the Delphi system you received as a gift, but will make a suggestion on your last question, if/when you're ready to have installed.

I recently installed a new audio system in my C2 Coupe. The heart of the system is an Alpine head unit. Very slick, not flashy, and very upgradeable. The selling point, for me, was its' built-in ability to integrate & support XM & iPod functions.

You should consider having the XM antenna installed under the plastic cowling that covers the charcoal air filter. This is a pretty ideal location as it is nearly outside and dosen't require any additional drilling. A small, low-profile terk antenna can easily be velcro'd to the cowling's underside & will not interfere with access to the filter. Furthermore, it's out-of-sight & out-of-mind but close enough to the firewall ports to make connections to the unit relatively easy.

Again, not too familiar with your Delphi hardware, but assume an antenna is required & would be part of the install. If not, you can disregard.

Good luck.

DBudd

Excellent suggestions gentlemen... Tobler, can you send me a picture of the charcoal filter's location? I for the life of me remember where that thing is...

Paul

PS

I will definitely have the pro's put it in... but If I can't get to look good I may return it and get something else instead... :-)

You can use the CDC input if you want direct connection from XM unit to head unit instead of FM modulation. You'll get better sound but FM modulation isn't bad by any means. Most don't even realize the difference, especially if you don't have the Bose system.

Do a search on Ipod and you can use the same method to hook up XM for input. Doesn't Delphi sell accessory so you can clip the controller to the vent or velcro to dash? Take a look at Bestbuy to see if they have other XM controller that looks/fits better. There is a lot of selection now.

Excellent suggestions gentlemen...  Tobler, can you send me a picture of the charcoal filter's location?  I for the life of me remember where that thing is...

Paul,

Access to the partical/charcoal filter is located under your hood. Top left cowling is removed to get to the filter. Here's a few illustrations to refresh your memory:

post-698-1103238913.gif

post-698-1103239346.gif

Good luck.

DBudd

Paul

PS

I will definitely have the pro's put it in... but If I can't get to look good I may return it and get something else instead... :-)

BestBuy...install pros?? Good luck with that :o I've heard a number of stories where things went wrong with Porsche installs done at places like that. (Lot's of technical wiring in the car) I heard one place had to replace the whole wiring layout in the car cause they didn't know exactly what they were doing. Just my 2 cents, watch out for low budget stores with "teens" as their installers, many of them lack experience (first-time installers).

• 1 year later...
You can use the CDC input if you want direct connection from XM unit to head unit instead of FM modulation. You'll get better sound but FM modulation isn't bad by any means. Most don't even realize the difference, especially if you don't have the Bose system.

Do a search on Ipod and you can use the same method to hook up XM for input. Doesn't Delphi sell accessory so you can clip the controller to the vent or velcro to dash? Take a look at Bestbuy to see if they have other XM controller that looks/fits better. There is a lot of selection now.

When you say CDC unit, are you talking about the 6 disc changer in the trunk?