Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need DIY write-up for O2 extension Install........Please!

Mtl996tt

Hey Guys,

I just got a P0420 & P0430 on my 03 996TT X50 with aftermarket exhaust so I want to buy O2 extensions (bungs) and install them myself.

I do alot wrenching myself but have yet to do any work on my 996TT (I just bought it )

ANyone know where I can find a DIY write on how to install these?

Thanks

Nick

Hey Guys,

I just got a P0420 & P0430 on my 03 996TT X50 with aftermarket exhaust so I want to buy O2 extensions (bungs) and install them myself.

I do alot wrenching myself but have yet to do any work on my 996TT (I just bought it )

ANyone know where I can find a DIY write on how to install these?

Thanks

Nick

Nick:

This is a relatively straightforward project, as long as you can weld.

You first have to source an appropriate bung with the correct threads to accept the threads of an oxygen sensor, then drill a hole in the exhaust pipe so that the "shoulders" of the bung straddle the outside of the hole and weld in the bung so that there is no air leak around its base. You can position the bung in the approximate position that it occupied in the stock exhaust, and that should do it.

Here's what it should look like when you are done:

post-6627-0-14784900-1290566775_thumb.jp

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Unfortunately, amongst my many talents, Welding is not one of them.

I'll just buy the Extensions (bungs) and install them, but Im wondering if the O2's are easily accessible. Im hoping I won't have to drop the exhaust to replace them.

Slide on under and look at the O2 sensors... easy to remvoe and replace. Really no DIY needed.

But might I comment that crappy cats on cheap aftermarket exhausts are causing your issue. Just saying. High quality 100cell cats that perform cost $2000 a pair, whole exhausts using these are priced accordingly!

One comment- if you unscrew the O2 without unpluging the wires will twist up- LEAVE THEM TWISTED when you reinstall them into the extended bung, so that when screwed down the wires will untwist and ultimately be nice and straight like when you started.

GL

A

Most aftermarket exhausts have bungs pre-installed. If this is the case then just go on ebay and get the stainless extensiontubes. It's a threaded metal tube with a restricted orifice at one end. Less exhaust reaches the sensor so the sensor stays within range. You can only use this for the "after cat" O2 sensors. If you try this with the "before cat", the ecu will freak out and not know how to compute fuel/Air ratios. Lastly, you need to check heat shield clearance with your current setup. The extension will by definition reduce this space. They sell an angled extension for these situations. I use the angled extensions and the car is very happy. No CELS at all. You can , as some have mentioned, plug the bung and hang the sensors with a cable tie but my setup is much cleaner and protects the sensor for future use. Good Luck.

Rob

Most aftermarket exhausts have bungs pre-installed. If this is the case then just go on ebay and get the stainless extensiontubes. It's a threaded metal tube with a restricted orifice at one end. Less exhaust reaches the sensor so the sensor stays within range. You can only use this for the "after cat" O2 sensors. If you try this with the "before cat", the ecu will freak out and not know how to compute fuel/Air ratios. Lastly, you need to check heat shield clearance with your current setup. The extension will by definition reduce this space. They sell an angled extension for these situations. I use the angled extensions and the car is very happy. No CELS at all. You can , as some have mentioned, plug the bung and hang the sensors with a cable tie but my setup is much cleaner and protects the sensor for future use. Good Luck.

Rob

I have a GHL exhaust.

Do you think these extentions would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OXYGEN-Spacer-HHO-Wideband-Simulator-Sensor-Test-Pipe-/320620190328#ht_500wt_975

I would think that your number one concern would be clearance; there ain't a whole lot of room in there..............

Im gonna measure how much clearance I have when I get home tonight.

The ebay seller told me that his extentions are 1.7inches long. So I need at least 2 inches