Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

need help with my cabriolet

I have a 1999 C4 Cabriolet. I use the convertible top often down here in Florida. For the past week, I have noticed it takes the top more time to open and close during the cycle when the actual top is moving (not the shell). Now I have to manually help the top to complete the opening and closing cycle by pulling or pushing the top when opening and closing mid cycle. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Eric

I agree with Dharn55. Check the hydrolic fluid level. I had exactly the same symptoms. I added some hydrolic fluid with a baby syringe (free from my local pharmacy) and a bit of rubber tubing, and the top has worked like a charm ever since. While you have everything apart, its probably a good idea to lube the joints while you're at it.

I have a 1999 C4 Cabriolet. I use the convertible top often down here in Florida. For the past week, I have noticed it takes the top more time to open and close during the cycle when the actual top is moving (not the shell). Now I have to manually help the top to complete the opening and closing cycle by pulling or pushing the top when opening and closing mid cycle. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I have not added hydaulic fluid yet. I called Reeve's Porsche in Tampa to get a quote. He quoted me about $100 to add fluid and thought the cylinder may be going bad. Said it was about $1200 to fix. Then I called Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota. This service manager said he had never seen hydaulic fluid go low unless there was a leak. Said I would probably have to replace both cylinders for about $2400. He would check on the fluid level and add for about $250.00. Which I think is high and much higher compared to Reeves. He said you have to replace both cylinders, since if you only replace one the pressure on the old cylinder would be too high and cause the old one to leak.

Here is my question. Are these guys correct? Does hydraulic fluid level reduce over time if there is no leak, or does a low level mean a leak. If there is a leak, is there any harm in replacing the fluid every now and then if adding fluid takes care of the problem. I would rather add fluid once or twice yearly, then pay $1200 to $2400 for new cylinders.

Eric

Eric,

Read the DIY and do it your self -- not that difficult ----- If I can do it you can do it. Trust me for $ 100 I will do it --- Ha Ha . If you were closer I would help.

Chuck

If it ends up you need new cylindars, don't forget to check Ebay. Used ones in good working order can be had for $150-$200 a piece, and changed out in your driveway in a couple hours.

Thanks all for the information. I am going to add fluid myself and see how things go.

Eric

I have seen several cabs that needed fluid after a few years that did not have "leaks." At least any that were noticeable. If a cylinder is leaking then the level will go down fairly quickly and will need to be replaced.

Just be sure to put some kitchen towel under the hydraluic fluid intake in case you spill a little and try not to lean on the insulation under the cab's metal housing, as it is very easy to disturb it and cause a tear. It's tricky, but I did it easily enough and I am in no way handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Santa left me a bottle of Porsche Hydraulic Fluid under the tree. Just as everyone said, you don't have to be mechanically inclined to add more fluid. After adding the fluid, the top works perfectly! I did notice the plastic bottle which holds the fluid seemed to have a thin film of fluid when I touched it, but no fluid dripping. The metal retention ring which holds the plastic bottle to the unit above was a little loose so I tightened the ring. Hopefully that was the cause of this hydraulic fluid leak. Again, thanks for all the help. Merry Christmas!

Eric

• 2 years later...

If ever you are again in need of support around the St Pete area try the European Performance Shop down on 4th Av North, I just went there today and got Pentosin fluid for mine. They talked about rebuilding my cylinders but not a the price you mentioned above. I am not affiliated with them but they did good work for me when I had them check out a used car before I bought it.

I found it helpful (before removing the fluid reservoir fill screw entirely) to tie fishing line around it and afterwards before tightening, I simply snap it off. Voila