Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 CS 109,000 miles

Driving home last night at 55 mph out of no where I started hearing a whine (spinning metal-like noise). It is more noticable when you hit the gas pedal (even a very light touch). Shift in to nutral (no noise).

At a stop (no noise)

At 20 mph + (more noise)

Parked, rev engine (no noise)

Everything else runs just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Craig

That just started ! wow I have had that for 40K miles. I was told its the front diff getting noisy but that the fix was more that its worth and not to touch it unless it fails. I am at 117K

Ok, I had the local dealership look at it.

It is the differential (bearing type of whine)

Cost $4700

Has anyone priced an indy shop? Parts, labor, should I look for a used one?

Mudman: Are you saying I am ok to drive on this for a while?

Thanks,

Craig

FWIW... My local Porsche dealer was 3400. 1700 for a rebuilt differential unit from Porsche.

When I was looking for a less expensive alternative I called Suncoast to get a price. They were cheaper for the differential but it was 200 for freight.

4700 seems high but they may be doing some other things not mentioned in this thread.

If I read the manual correctly the subframe DOES NOT have to be removed but my shop (dealer) did exactly that. Seems it makes the removal much easier but also runs the labor hours and materials costs up there too as many of the bolts are supposed to be replaced.

Since I had mine done many more have come through the dealer for exactly this problem.

Cheapest thing you could try is to drain the differential and refill it once or twice to try to flush out as much of the metal flake as possible. The ring and pinion gears are probably already pitted so the noise level may not go down much.

I drove mine with this problem for about 25K before I did anything about it.

These early model Cayenne's are an embarrassment to Porsche IMO. Coolant Pipes, Ignition Coils, Drive shaft, Transmission Control Module, front differential, the list goes on...

Thanks rizzo,

Can you tell me if I need to do anything special to drain the diff. How do I pump it back in or should I have someone else do it? I appreciate the advise on the diff and your ideas. By the way, the $4700+ quote was for the diff and a wheel alignment (their reccomendation). Nothing else, no breakdown of parts etc.

There should be two plugs. One on the bottom (to drain) and one above the mid-level or slightly higher of the horizontal centerline of the differential (to fill)

I'm certain these units are limited slip so they will have a very specific type of gear oil and additives from Porsche.

You can buy a hand operated pump from your local parts store to pump the fluid from the supply bottle to the differential.

Hope that helps.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a somewhat old topic. I think I'm having the same problem. Almost sounds like a dragging brake up front but it isn't.... metal on metal scraping noise. Took it to Porsche of Annapolis said they couldn't hear anything.... I was like WTF... Really? you can't hear an obvious scraping noise. Said they ran all sorts of dynamic noise tests with microphones hooked up to the front. Yeah right.... Noise is still there. I'm figuring since I hear this scraping noise that if it is a bearing inside the differential it is most likely shot... This isn't the first time I've complained about the differential. Before this latest issue, I had a groaning noise coming from the front when pulling off from a dead stop. I have an aftermarket warranty that I bought at this dealership but they do not seem willing to honor it for an obvious problem. Does anyone have any insight?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a somewhat old topic. I think I'm having the same problem. Almost sounds like a dragging brake up front but it isn't.... metal on metal scraping noise. Took it to Porsche of Annapolis said they couldn't hear anything.... I was like WTF... Really? you can't hear an obvious scraping noise. Said they ran all sorts of dynamic noise tests with microphones hooked up to the front. Yeah right.... Noise is still there. I'm figuring since I hear this scraping noise that if it is a bearing inside the differential it is most likely shot... This isn't the first time I've complained about the differential. Before this latest issue, I had a groaning noise coming from the front when pulling off from a dead stop. I have an aftermarket warranty that I bought at this dealership but they do not seem willing to honor it for an obvious problem. Does anyone have any insight?

So I guess no one had any thoughts? Oh well.... As a follow up, I ended up taking it to Tischer Porsche. Low and behold they found a bad pinion bearing in the front differential case. Waiting on warranty folks to come and sign off on it now. From what I was told, dealers apparently do not work on these to repair. They simply replace though an exchange program with Porsche. I have 108K on my Cayenne now but I've noticed this noise for the last couple of hundred miles. Sincerely hope I have no more issues like this.

Edited by jsrbrown