Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Been looking through the forums, becoming despondent about the ease of improving my audio system, and I'm not even sure which audio system I have.

My car is an '03 Coupe which I thought means that it has the MOST system and judging from numerous other audio posts/questions this is consistent with the label on the front of my stereo 'CDR23'. However, the option code for my audio system is #680 'Bose "High End Sound" according to my dealers window sticker. But I thought that the MOST system was a Becker product?

All that I now know for sure is that there is a CDR23 on the front of my system, there are door speaker pods, and the window sticker includes option #680.

I checked the Tequipment page looking for audio options and the high performance audio option, which is the exact wording on my window sticker, says "Not compatible with the Bose®, DSP audio system or MOST Bus System." ahhhhhhhh! What does that mean?

Do I have the MOST system or not and am I doomed to only 2 audio choices: turn it off or replace the whole thing?

thanks & merry xmas to all!

kristap

Edited by kristap

First of all, you definitely have a MOST based fiber-optic stereo ('03 and newer, CDR-23). If your door speakers have the "Bose" label and there is a subwoofer enclosure in the passenger footwell (left side), you have the upgraded Bose system. Because of the fiber optics, you can forget about simple enhancements such as upgraded speakers or MP3 player input.

Thanks Bavarian for helping to clear this up for me. Can't say that I'm happy about it as I was hoping to improve the sound inside the car for my passengers to enjoy. But heck - they just add extra weight and I have been looking at the GHL exhaust ....

Thanks for your help!

kristap

If you have the coupe, your sub will be on the back deck; if you have the cab, it's in the footwell.

You can make some improvements w/o replacing everything. The Bose speakers are not very good; just putting some better speakers in helps a lot. The Bose speakers are 2 ohm for front, door and rear, and 1 ohm for the subs. The Bose amp will run 4 ohm speakers just fine, but you need fairly efficient speakers as you are only going to get about 25 watts per channel. Focals seem pretty popular; I used Infinity Kappas. If you want to hear bass on the highway, you will also need to add an amp for the subs. This won't get you the same quality as putting in an entirely new system, but it sounds a lot better than the stock system and maintains the interface with the OBC and instrument display.

If you have the coupe, your sub will be on the back deck; if you have the cab, it's in the footwell.

You can make some improvements w/o replacing everything.  The Bose speakers are not very good; just putting some better speakers in helps a lot.  The Bose speakers are 2 ohm for front, door and rear, and 1 ohm for the subs.  The Bose amp will run 4 ohm speakers just fine, but you need fairly efficient speakers as you are only going to get about 25 watts per channel.  Focals seem pretty popular; I used Infinity Kappas.  If you want to hear bass on the highway, you will also need to add an amp for the subs.  This won't get you the same quality as putting in an entirely new system, but it sounds a lot better than the stock system and maintains the interface with the OBC and instrument display.

I was just about to look up the ohms on the Bose speakers on the doors - thanks for saving me a trip to the search engine :)

It sounds like the stereo/sound enhancements I had been contemplating are going to get pushed back down on my list of tweaks, at least until there is a serious road trip on the horizon. I really don't like the way car manufacturers are using this proprietary bose crap (my NSX had similar stereo issues) and compelling wholesale replacement. However, am glad to hear that it is possible to swap out the speakers & make a marked improvement in the sound quality.

thanks!

kristap

• 1 year later...

I really don't like the way car manufacturers are using this proprietary bose crap (my NSX had similar stereo issues) and compelling wholesale replacement. However, am glad to hear that it is possible to swap out the speakers & make a marked improvement in the sound quality.

thanks!

kristap

I agree about the BOSE. Apparently they are responsible for GAL not being available with the CDR 23. The AudioPilot does not help with the volume. And Becker's response to CDR 23 criticism (especially iPod users) is that they built the radio to Porsche specs.

I agree about the BOSE. Apparently they are responsible for GAL not being available with the CDR 23. The AudioPilot does not help with the volume.

I have yet to understand or "hear" exactly what that AudioPilot nonesense really does. I can hear ABSOLUTELY no difference with it on or off. Took it to the dealer to ask them if it was working properly and they could not tell me what it does (other than the ambigous information in the manual). Personally I would have been much happier having just a basic GAL system in my 04 C2 Cab. I am continuously reaching over to turn the volume up or down when I drive with the top down. I never had to do that with my GAL CDR22 in my 01 Boxster S. I am really dissapointed in the Bose High end audio that came with my 996.

Mike

No hights , no lows it must be BOSE!! But.. I must say that the Bose system in my Nissan 300 ZX TT is VERY good and so is the Bose ( upgraded) in my Maxima.... In the Porsche ... that's another story ( although I have the special option one).... but hey ... the engine sounds much better. I always leave the sun roof open,tipped up at the back, so I can hear the little engine scream... Brings a smile to my face.. cruizin on Skyline for instance

Happy and Prosperous 2006 to all the gang!post-1096-1136070506_thumb.jpg