Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition switch issues, where do I go from here?

Hey everyone,

So the ignition switch went flaky on my 2000 986 (after taking key out, I wouldn't hear the distinct "click" - key was then difficult to get back into ignition, etc.). This is the second time this has happened to me in 11+ years of ownership. The first time, I simply bought the Audi switch, pulled out the old one, popped in the new one (with a little yoga in between) and it worked like a charm. Now, after a somewhat frustrating experience getting the second replacement in, I'm not getting the engine to turn over. I can put the key in (although it takes some fidgeting for it to slide in), turn the ignition on (all status lights turn on), but not actually start the car. When I put the key in the start position, I get nothing. At this point, I really don't know where to go. Is there a chance the ignition switch didn't get seated properly (I had a little trouble getting it all the way in) or is this likely an issue with the entire ignition component? I've seen the DIY on replacing the entire thing, but this is not something I really want to do unless absolutely necessary. Any advice would be appreciated.

- Terence

Hey everyone,

So the ignition switch went flaky on my 2000 986 (after taking key out, I wouldn't hear the distinct "click" - key was then difficult to get back into ignition, etc.). This is the second time this has happened to me in 11+ years of ownership. The first time, I simply bought the Audi switch, pulled out the old one, popped in the new one (with a little yoga in between) and it worked like a charm. Now, after a somewhat frustrating experience getting the second replacement in, I'm not getting the engine to turn over. I can put the key in (although it takes some fidgeting for it to slide in), turn the ignition on (all status lights turn on), but not actually start the car. When I put the key in the start position, I get nothing. At this point, I really don't know where to go. Is there a chance the ignition switch didn't get seated properly (I had a little trouble getting it all the way in) or is this likely an issue with the entire ignition component? I've seen the DIY on replacing the entire thing, but this is not something I really want to do unless absolutely necessary. Any advice would be appreciated.

- Terence

Terence:

My approach would be to get yet another Audi switch, since it's only about $10 and since you already have DIY experience in replacing it.

That would eliminate the electrical portion of the switch as the culprit if it doesn't work, and then you can diagnose it further.

As you know, the replacement of the entire assembly is much more expensive and a more involved DIY, so go for the easy one first.

Regards, Maurice.

Hey everyone,

- Terence

Terence:

My approach would be to get yet another Audi switch, since it's only about $10 and since you already have DIY experience in replacing it.

That would eliminate the electrical portion of the switch as the culprit if it doesn't work, and then you can diagnose it further.

As you know, the replacement of the entire assembly is much more expensive and a more involved DIY, so go for the easy one first.

Regards, Maurice.

Thank Maurice. Do the symptoms I'm describing sound like an issue with the switch or the overall assembly? I think my first option may be to just re-seat the new switch and see if that makes a difference first. Too bad it's so tight in there (and I'm a little guy!)...

• 2 months later...

I'll tell you what I did. When I took the electrical part off I put the key in and turned it back and forth in the assembly to make sure it was smooth. If it is with the electrical portion removed and it locks/unlocks the steering wheel fine I would say it is another electrical switch. There is a reason they are $10 bucks. Heavily used too of course. Everything is in that switch, the "return from start spring" included.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

- Terence

Hi, Terence. Is there a reference to this Audi switch? I just ran into the same problem, haven't even had the chance to crack open the Bentley to see how to take it apart, yet...

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Hello, I am having a similar problem only My power is switched on after the key is removed. Has drained the battery once as no one arond to notice and has happened twice in two months. I thought of replacing the ignition switch first before I replace the mechanism since that is the only way the power can be swithed on, Does any one agree?

• 2 months later...