Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I change the driver side fuel pump (primary) last week end. If you need to drive the car and avoid to pay a towing, just remove the #1 pump relay in the engine compartment fuse box. You need a torx 30 because the relay is located in the hidden part right next to the firewall. If your car starts and stall in less than 30 secs... Remove the key, remove the #1 fuel pump relay, then restart the car. If the car still running after 30 secs, like me your primary fuel pump is defect. By doing this, the computer think there is no fuel on left side and run the secondary pump !!! I drove the cayenne about 60 miles with the second pump to the dealer to buy the fuel pump, small pipe and 2 seal because you need to open both side under the seat. The fuel pump have many pipe attached to it with different size and lenght to avoid bad connection. Two pipes are running from left to right. The job is not easy but you need to do it when the tank is almost empty or use a manual pump like me. Do it outside, the smell is horrible and take a tylenol. Dont forget to clean the fuel filter on the top plate driver side, I never seen so much black dirt in a small filter... I clean it 8 times in fuel bowl and reinstall it. I suspect dirt filter may cause the pump problem. To remove the bolt under the seat use M10 and they are very very tight and this is probably the biggest job to do. Then have a beer and congratulate you for saving 1,000$. I have all the pdf very helpfull if you want it, let me know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

just a little bit off topic....to avoid the towing and the adventure when primary fuel pump fail's and you don't have the "magic" torx 30 to open the relay compartment in engine bay area,just pull the fuse # 14 located in the fuse box right next to the relay box. All you need is a penny to help you turn the plastic screws on the cover of the fuse box. You got the same result like pulling out the relay. It happend to me in the middle of nowhere and thanks to this forum,the internet browser from the smartphone,some verizon coverage and this trick to activate the secondary pump i was on may way and out of trouble in less than 15 min.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Perhaps the PDF can go into the maintenance section where I think downloads are only available to contributing members.

Hi all. Sorry to bother, but was the .pdf with instructions for Cayenne ('04) fuel pump replacement ever created or made available here? I could sure use it. Thanks!

Perhaps the PDF can go into the maintenance section where I think downloads are only available to contributing members.

Hi all. Sorry to bother, but was the .pdf with instructions for Cayenne ('04) fuel pump replacement ever created or made available here? I could sure use it. Thanks!

Morning!...I just did mine not to long ago ('04 S drivers side)I have the .pdf so just send me your email address and I will send it to you. I tried to upload it but the file is to big.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I know that this is an old post, but it surely is of interest to myself today...

1. Thank's Renntech and all the contributing members for all the useful info.

2. My left fuel pump gave up on me today (a big thanks to Chipu12 for the Fuse #14 tip, as it saved the day)

3. Only Porsche dealer in Costa Rica wants US$600 for the fuel pump

4. Suncoast has it for less than $300 (I´ll be buying it from them).

Can I run on the right fuel pump for some days, until I get my new left pump from Suncoast? Risk? Advice?

Update - While I wait for the parts to arrive, I decided to re-install the #14 fuse and see if the problem persisted... and voila, it is gone.

Can this be just a symptom that the fuel pump is just starting to fail, or could I have had a bad contact or some other problem that I'm not considering?

Any suggestions are welcomed

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up:

1. The fuel filter was filthy!

If you end up doing the fuel pump, do the CTT a favor an get a new fuel filter (around $100)

2. The fuel pressure was checked, and it was not constant. Apparently the fuel pump was either having a bad ground or was starting to fail.

New pump was installed (around $300).

So far, it looks like the problem was solved.

Cost:

Fuel Filter: $100

Fuel Pump (1): $300

Misc parts. $100

Work: $500

Total: $1,000

• 1 year later...

Gents,

I'm in the middle of doing this job as the driver's side seal failed and was leaking fuel vapor while throwing a code.

What is the trick to re-installation of the components with new seals? I've tried finesse and some force with no success. What am I missing?

NVM - EDIT - Insert gasket into tank first then push filter into gasket. Yes, I had my blonde moment today. I blame daylight savings ending.

Edited by Scott C

I installed a new filter unit as a precaution while I was doing the seals.

I opened up the old filter and it was filthy black.

Oddly enough, the small leak around the seal was throwing a code that referenced a small leak in the system. I also noticed the car ran rough and was down on power. Once I replaced the seal and cleared the code, power came back and it idled much smoother.

I attribute the seal failure to ethanol gas that we are forced to run. It is nasty and dries out all the rubber bits in the fuel system.

I'll jump on this thread and share a situation. I'm not a DIY so forgive my complete ignorance. I have an 08 CTT and the fuel pump just went out @ 40,600 miles. I guess I was lucky since I noticed the car didnt want to start right away and then when I was driving it started to lag when I gave it gas. I was literally a mile away from my 'dealer' so I ended up just driving it in. Is is normal to smell something awful when the car is stopped and turned off? How often do fuel pumps go out on the Cayenne? is it model specific? Appreciate any insights.

I was also very lucky since I was just at the end of my CPO and Porsche covered everything.