Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ceramic vs semi metalic brake pads for V6 Cayenne?

Hello All

I was browsing online for brake pads and I noticed ceramic type pads that boast 80% less dust, and then the standard semi metallic. I have not inquired about whether rotors need to change, and I would not change rotors to accommodate new pads. Does anyone have experience with the ceramic type..are they compatible with steel rotors, how do they stop and wear and is there dramatically less dust?

Thx Rick

Thx to all that replied. I decided on the Hawk HPS semi-metalic and have changed both front and rear. I was able to reuse the sensors by prying them out carefully.

So far so good!

Edited by RicksCarrera

• 4 weeks later...

I have ceramic and they are great for stopping distances, etc, but when cold and driving (normally) in the city they make squeaking noise a lot! ... you got to press really hard severall times to warm them up and then they are quite!

• 1 month later...

Just throwing my two cents in... My Brake Workshop light came on about four weeks ago, and I replaced the pads myself with the Hawk CPS pads after about a week and a half. This was the first time I had ever attempted replacing brake pads and it was WAY easier than I expected it to be (with the exception of removing that pin, I wailed on that thing forever before it finally budged).

I absolutely hated the Porsche OEM pads throwing hard to remove black dust all over my gorgeous 20's, so I went with Hawk this time. My wheels have stayed nice and clean for two weeks now and I really have no complaints at all about them. They brake just as well, I haven't noticed any increase in noise, and everything fit great.

They were a lot cheaper than the OEM ones, and doing the job myself it only cost about $25 for the sensors and $125 for the pads... much, much better than what I paid last time.

I have had good luck with the Hawk HPS in the past but lately on my cars I've been using EBC Reds & Yellows. They are cheaper and seem to be easier on the rotors and quiet. The Reds are completely no squeak and very low dust. The Yellows have an occaisonal squeak but may not be fully broken in yet and a little more dust than the Reds but less than OEM and they bite a little better than the OEM or the Reds.