Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Pipes Recommendation

Bought my 06' CTT about 6 months back and part of the reason was because the coolant pipes had been done one year earlier by the PO.

Well, I was in line Friday for a touches car wash and the next thing I hear is a pssshhhhh followed by a cloud of smoke from the engine compartment. Oh great! had to ask ppl behind me to back up and I basically drove for another minute before the coolant light came on. At that point I pulled over a called for a tow truck to get to the shop. This is the worst feeling, watching ppl drive by you while you wait for a tow. Very embarrassing.

Anyhow, got it to the shop and pressurized the system. I could hear the leak at the rear but there is NO SPACE to see or feel anything. I debated whether or not to remove the drivers side cat but I eventually decided to remove the intake man.

Once the manifold was out, I found the leak at the plastic T behind the engine that has a rubber hose connected to the 3rd (infamous) coolant pipe. The T broken at the flange where the hose was connected where non removable clamps are used. Here is a pick I borrowed from someone else on reenlist:

511591d1297368655-coolant-pipes-a-z-1.jpg

There was absolutely no space whatsoever to work back there. My hands and arms are all cut and bruised after this fiasco. Went to downtown porsche in Toronto and they claim to never have stocked this part but found one at PFAFF just north of Toronto so I drove up and picked it up for $38 - not bad for a Porsche part!

The worst part was definitely working back there. It probably took me longer to disconnect and reconnect the 3 spring clamps then R&R'ing the intake mani (and this was my first time doing this job)

In the end, I would recommend anyone who is doing the coolant pipe replacement to also take the extra time and replace the plastic T that includes the 3 hoses connected to it for piece of mind. Otherwise, down the road at some point u will be removing the intake manifold to replace the T as well.

I suspect mine may have been disturbed during the original coolant pipe repair. Although I have a small suspicion that the violent downshifts Ive experienced as of late from 6th to 3rd on the highway may have also contributed to the failure. (yes, I also need a trans valve body but I'm waiting until it gets worse before I spend the $$$ since it only does t he violent shift in very specific modes that I can easily avoid in my driving habits)

Edited by CTTinTO

I hate that feeling as well, seems as if everyone is rubbernecking and you can see the odd chuckle I'm sure. Glad you got it sorted out fairly easily, missing some skin I'm sure! Waiting for my turn, my coolant pipes were changed previously as well, guess I'll find out when the T is going to fail eventually... If I ever need to go in, I'll be replacing everything in sight just for piece of mind.

948-106-035-51 and 955-106-323-50

They are both T pieces in the same location but different. The one that usually breaks is the one that has the non-removable rubber hoses and metal clamps attached to it, the other is just a plastic T that you connect to. I forget which of the 2 part #s above is the one that makes us look bad on the road but most people say you may as well replace them both while you are back there.

Important to know.. I made the mistake of topping off my coolant with 50-50 "universal" mix and now I have a cracked reservoir.. I dont know if thats why it cracked but I have to replace it anyway and flush the system. Mixing the coolant creates little jello clumps.. And Porsche wants $43 a gallon for their pink stuff :censored:

By the way, I couldnt see the picture above either

They are both T pieces in the same location but different. The one that usually breaks is the one that has the non-removable rubber hoses and metal clamps attached to it, the other is just a plastic T that you connect to. I forget which of the 2 part #s above is the one that makes us look bad on the road but most people say you may as well replace them both while you are back there.

Important to know.. I made the mistake of topping off my coolant with 50-50 "universal" mix and now I have a cracked reservoir.. I dont know if thats why it cracked but I have to replace it anyway and flush the system. Mixing the coolant creates little jello clumps.. And Porsche wants $43 a gallon for their pink stuff :censored:

Sorry everyone... lets see if this picture link works:

5451506707_6826c58dba_m.jpg

As for the hoses, they are part of the bigger plastic T (uses clamps that are not reusable)

Not sure what the part no. is... I would have to look at the parts invoice. However, I didn't replace the other T because the parts counterperson couldn't find it anywhere. I also had a hard time identifying it PET. I'll have to check out the part numbers faceman posted.

I also don't think the T was updated at all. The hoses and T looked identical to the original parts.

I used the premixed long life coolant - I didn't realize the porsche coolant is different. I'll have to look into this further.

As for the hoses, they are part of the bigger plastic T (uses clamps that are not reusable)

Not sure what the part no. is... I would have to look at the parts invoice. However, I didn't replace the other T because the parts counterperson couldn't find it anywhere. I also had a hard time identifying it PET. I'll have to check out the part numbers faceman posted.

I also don't think the T was updated at all. The hoses and T looked identical to the original parts.

I used the premixed long life coolant - I didn't realize the porsche coolant is different. I'll have to look into this further.

the 323-50 part is what I replaced...

P/N 948-106-035-51 doesn't really look like it incorporates a "T" in the PET catalog. This however was the part we suspected contained the smaller "T'. Either way, it was a Saturday and the dealer didn't stock so I'll take my chances.

The next question would be if the "T" I did replace can be replaced from underneath the vehicle by removing the drivers side cat converter - I think its possible now that I look back... I removed the intake because I couldn't find the leak initially.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking anyone of you who experienced break of the T connector (955-106-323-50) has European Design engines in your Cayenne which has the T connector pipe.

My CS04 is currently under repair for coolant pipes. I asked my mechanic and he ordered the T connector pipe based on part number, He also check that on the exploded views before he orders that to make sure what part it is... so far so good... when he received the part and he was ready to install it he could not find anything like this behind the engine or around... there was only a Straight Hard Plastic not a T shape one. So he did further research and told me that the European cars have this T connector and not the US Cayennes... designs are different between US and Europe Cayennes.

Do we have anyone here in US who has experienced this problem or proactively has changed this T connector on his Cayenne?

Thanks.

I am thinking anyone of you who experienced break of the T connector (955-106-323-50) has European Design engines in your Cayenne which has the T connector pipe.

My CS04 is currently under repair for coolant pipes. I asked my mechanic and he ordered the T connector pipe based on part number, He also check that on the exploded views before he orders that to make sure what part it is... so far so good... when he received the part and he was ready to install it he could not find anything like this behind the engine or around... there was only a Straight Hard Plastic not a T shape one. So he did further research and told me that the European cars have this T connector and not the US Cayennes... designs are different between US and Europe Cayennes.

Do we have anyone here in US who has experienced this problem or proactively has changed this T connector on his Cayenne?

Thanks.

Is this the "T" connector ? http://www.renntech....__1#entry167505

If so, yes, I had it replaced.

Tim in Ft Worth

Thanks.

Is this the "T" connector ? http://www.renntech....__1#entry167505

If so, yes, I had it replaced.

Tim in Ft Worth

yep, thats the one in the renntech thread...

P/N 948-106-035-51 doesn't really look like it incorporates a "T" in the PET catalog. This however was the part we suspected contained the smaller "T'. Either way, it was a Saturday and the dealer didn't stock so I'll take my chances.

The next question would be if the "T" I did replace can be replaced from underneath the vehicle by removing the drivers side cat converter - I think its possible now that I look back... I removed the intake because I couldn't find the leak initially.

I asked my porsche dealer tech buddy who has replaced a couple of these if he ever tried removing the cat converter and replacing the t-pipe from the bottom. He said that he hadn't but has a coworker who has. In the end, it a real PITA either way.

Again, I strongly suggest if you have this pipe and you are doing your other coolant pipes, replace this too and avoid the headaches I and others have had down the road.

New Cayenne owner but not new to Porsche question. Are the aluminum replacement pipes replacements for the plastic pipes were talking about here? I see them advertised for $500~$600 for the kit. Is that a good price? If they are a replacement for the plastic, seems that for the money going with the aluminum ones, though more expensive, is a better solution? Here is a Ebay ad saying a 17pc kit w/coolant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Cayenne-Coolant-Pipe-Upgrade-Repair-Kit-V8-S-/250759695357?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APorsche%7CModel%3ACayenne&hash=item3a62714bfd

New Cayenne owner but not new to Porsche question. Are the aluminum replacement pipes replacements for the plastic pipes were talking about here? I see them advertised for $500~$600 for the kit. Is that a good price? If they are a replacement for the plastic, seems that for the money going with the aluminum ones, though more expensive, is a better solution? Here is a Ebay ad saying a 17pc kit w/coolant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3a62714bfd

here is the aluminum replacement and location:

post-40009-0-77136000-1298858600_thumb.jpgpost-40009-0-43346900-1298858552_thumb.jpgpost-40009-0-67295600-1298858632_thumb.jpg

post-40009-0-43346900-1298858552_thumb.j

post-40009-0-77136000-1298858600_thumb.j

post-40009-0-67295600-1298858632_thumb.j

Thank you all...

Since we have people both in Canada and US who have replaced this T Connector, may I pose the question differently now:

May this T pipe be specific to Cayenne TURBO models only and NOT available in Cayenne S?

I can not believe that I made the part (T Connector Part# 955 106 323 50) available to my mechanic ,in Porsche Dealer basically, and he is in the middle of upgrading my pipes to aluminium (already in that place) and tells me this pipe is not for your Cayenne S !!!! it is not available in that engine?

Gentlemen, Any of you who have experienced/replaced the T Connector 955 106 323 50 on his car, is your car Cayenne S or Turbo?

Many thanks.

Mine was a turbo...

Also, according to my friend who is a tech at the dealer, it is possible to replace the T by removing the cat converter and doing it from underneath but its not any easier than removing the intake man and doing from the top.

So is it my understanding that if you spend the money for the Aluminum tubes you replace the plastic tubes & "T" connector all together? Although if Porsche upgraded to Aluminum replacments then why are they still selling the plastic "T" piece?

thats correct, the plastic T replacement is still the same plastic T and no aluminum upgraded part is available (as far as I know)

I suspect that the T failures will likely only be seen on higher mileage vehicles (likely only turbos too because of the additional turbo heat) and Porsche may not be so inclinded to spend the R&D $$$ to make an aluminum replacement. Basically, it wouldn't be cost effective.

This would be a great project for someone who has access to a machine shop. Get some T's machined from billet aluminum (a run of 500 parts to start) and sell them over the internet as an "add-on" part for people that still need their coolant pipes upgraded.

thats correct, the plastic T replacement is still the same plastic T and no aluminum upgraded part is available (as far as I know)

I suspect that the T failures will likely only be seen on higher mileage vehicles (likely only turbos too because of the additional turbo heat) and Porsche may not be so inclinded to spend the R&D $$$ to make an aluminum replacement. Basically, it wouldn't be cost effective.

This would be a great project for someone who has access to a machine shop. Get some T's machined from billet aluminum (a run of 500 parts to start) and sell them over the internet as an "add-on" part for people that still need their coolant pipes upgraded.

If someone could give me the specs, I can work on them as I have access to the proper machines. (I worked for Blouch Turbo for a number of years)