Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Got backed into, info on this damage?

Anyone have an idea what it costs to replace a bumper? Stupid girl backed into me without even looking while I was stopped in a parking lot.

img0225db.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by blues3531

She did but shes lying to her agent and saying I rear ended her while she was parked and the video cameras didn't catch the accident because it was in a blind spot. Anyone know the cost to replace a bumper?

**** and does that include installation and all that? I got a $1000 deductible so I was kinda hoping it would be cheaper than $1000 and I wouldn't have to make a claim and watch my rates go up. Never been in an accident before and I hardly count this one considering I wasn't even moving.

• Admin

You can but the bumper online (at Sunset or Suncoast) for less - but then you will have to pay shipping.

Taking the bumper on and off is a 15 minute job - there is even a DIY video here in the videos section.

No witnesses eh?

Just tell you insurance company your story and let them take it from there.

I had a witness that was riding with me and she had no one in her car so I guess its 2 against 1 hehe. My agent told me if they aren't going to admit fault then to do a claim through my group and they'll sue her and her group for the costs but I'm still paying out of pocket and later being reimbursed. Plus I don't know what they can sue on with zero proof just me adamantly sticking to my story and my one passenger witness.

Any body shop can remove the bumper and send it to a specialty shop that repairs such bumper covers. They then repaint it with special flexible paint. That isn't your big problem, as the cover is cosmetic. The $$$$ problem is what is under the cover that actually protects the car from serious damage in a low speed "crash" and absobs some of the shock to you in a high speed crash. Shock absorbers, crossbar, etc. are all safety concerns. The cover cost-to-repair is only the tip of the iceberg. Poke around and look at a parts explosion diagram in one of the PET parts lists on the official Porsche web site. I suspect you have at least 2 or 3 damaged pieces behind the cover and the bill will be $3k+ before you are through.

Well I'm taking it to a shop next week that specializes in European cars hopefully they'll be able to figure out everything that was wrong with it. I mean the wreck had to be 5mph at the highest. I think it should probably just be this cosmetic damage but you may be right.

I replaced mine recently. Bumper cost $550 shipped and I had a local reputable shop prime and paint the bumper along with the hood, a pair of speed humps and the small rectangle on top of the spoiler for another $500. While the bumper was off I also cleaned theradiators and buffed/shined air scoops.

Before

890060862208-1-1.jpg

AFTER

IMG_3840.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma

I see you went with a different bumper? Looks nice but I prefer the stock one actually. Do most places actually buy the correct paint from a Porsche warehouse or just try to match it? Cuz im going to be really really anal about the way it looks when its done. If it was my other car I could care less.

Blues,

Shops will use whatever paint system they are set up for, whether it be Glasurit, PPG, Sikkens etc, etc. Formulas change constantly so even the original paint would have to be tinted to get a perfect match. They will start with the factory paint formula and tint and match from there. Many will use a spectrometer that "reads" the paint and shoots out a matching formula, but sometimes even that needs to be adjusted to match perfectly.

Be sure to stress to them that the paint match must be very good, but also keep in mind that painted metal "looks" different than painted plastic. Before the car goes to the bodyshop, look at the paint match on any modern car from the bumper cover to the hood and/or fenders, you'll see what I mean. It would be best if just look at your own car to see the difference I am talking about. Most people do not notice this until after their car is painted and I hate to tell you this, but silver is the worst offender for difficulty in getting the best match between bumper covers and metal surfaces.

Shoot me a PM after you talk to your bodyshop and I'll be glad to give you independent help and advice. If you choose a good shop, they will explain everything to you and work with you every step of the way, so you should be fine.

Edited by spg356

kbrandsma -

I love the new bumper and I have been looking for that same one. Where did you find it for $550?

Thanks!

I replaced mine recently. Bumper cost $550 shipped and I had a local reputable shop prime and paint the bumper along with the hood, a pair of speed humps and the small rectangle on top of the spoiler for another $500. While the bumper was off I also cleaned theradiators and buffed/shined air scoops.

Before

890060862208-1-1.jpg

AFTER

IMG_3840.jpg

I found a 911 Bumper on eBay and kept communication with the company until they had one I was looking for. If I remember correctly they were located in Georgia. I'll go through my PayPal records and see if I can locate them.

Here it is before it was painted and installed.

IMG_3772.jpg

I see you went with a different bumper? Looks nice but I prefer the stock one actually. Do most places actually buy the correct paint from a Porsche warehouse or just try to match it? Cuz im going to be really really anal about the way it looks when its done. If it was my other car I could care less.

I was told that it is a 3M paint and not difficult to match. The shop did worn me on the difference from metal to a plastic bumper. However I was very pleased with result.

Edited by kbrandsma

If you look at the rear end of my car it has 3 different paint jobs done over 8 years by 3 different shops. Body done by factory in Finland. Bumperettes by Eric of bumperplugs.com and bumper cover done by Tysons P-car body shop. All match perfectly despite AS being said to be a difficult color and they look fine even after 10, 3 and 3 years.

If you look at the rear end of my car it has 3 different paint jobs done over 8 years by 3 different shops. Body done by factory in Finland. Bumperettes by Eric of bumperplugs.com and bumper cover done by Tysons P-car body shop. All match perfectly despite AS being said to be a difficult color and they look fine even after 10, 3 and 3 years.

Hi MIke,

I should probably stress that my point was really that even with a perfect match, the paint reflects differently on steel than it does on plastic and other materials. So even if a hood and fenders are painted with the same paint and at the same time as a bumper cover, it can "look" different. Some times people do not notice this until after the car is painted and then have an issue with it.

A good shop will point this out to you beforehand, as kbrandsma's shop did.

Regards,

I'm very interested as to where the bumper came from as well. I think it's kewl!!! I have to pull the bumper and hood of mine to repaint it this summer. While at it, that would be a great way to prevent more work as, I don't have to sand down the chips out of the old one, primer, etc. Just replace.

Randy

Edited by Randy_K

• Admin

Try Georgia Bumper.

Here is the LINK

I emailed them and they called me. All they have are the stock style bumpers. Searched all over the net for one like yours and no luck. ;)

It's an aerokit front bumper. They can be found on 996 Carreras with factory aerokits or GT3 Mk1.

Try Georgia Bumper.

Here is the LINK

I emailed them and they called me. All they have are the stock style bumpers. Searched all over the net for one like yours and no luck. ;)

It's an aerokit front bumper. They can be found on 996 Carreras with factory aerokits or GT3 Mk1.

Thanks Loren.