Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Center console CD tray replacement?

I have a 2004 C4S Cab that I'm installing a Dension Gateway in to hook up my iPod, as the Becker CDR23 completely stinks at playing actual CDs on the roads I drive on, constantly skipping.

The question is: this makes the CD-tray in the center console pretty redundant. I can apparently get a shelf-like thing (pretty much like the shelf below it, but a slightly different shape) to fit that spot, but does anyone have any better ideas? Having two little half-height shelves, one above the other, seems a bit odd.

I can say with certainty, however, that I'm not going to the trouble to move the HVAC console down there from its place above.

I have a 2004 C4S Cab that I'm installing a Dension Gateway in to hook up my iPod, as the Becker CDR23 completely stinks at playing actual CDs on the roads I drive on, constantly skipping.

The question is: this makes the CD-tray in the center console pretty redundant. I can apparently get a shelf-like thing (pretty much like the shelf below it, but a slightly different shape) to fit that spot, but does anyone have any better ideas? Having two little half-height shelves, one above the other, seems a bit odd.

I can say with certainty, however, that I'm not going to the trouble to move the HVAC console down there from its place above.

You mean like this? It is the same shelf only a different trim piece. I have both available. PM me if interested.

526167372208.jpg

I replaced my CD holders with the shelf. A thought occurred to me (a mind is a dangerous thing) re: power outlets. I purchased a multi-power port (12V & USB) that I'm going to wire into the cigarette lighter to provide additional spots for GPS, Radar detector, phone charging etc. I plan to attach the port to the shelf with velcro and wire through back of shelf (out of sight). I'll still be able to put items in the tray, but have the added power ports.

I'll take some before / after photos to illustrate the process.

You mean like this? It is the same shelf only a different trim piece. I have both available. PM me if interested.

526167372208.jpg

I finally pulled them out of storage and they are different pieces. No trim needed.

9965522530101C (upper shelf - radio support) - $44 List

9965522430101C (lower shelf - CD tray) - $44 List.

Edited by kbrandsma

I had two shelves for awhile and it was much better looking (and functional for sunglasses/phone etc...)than having the outdated looing cd holder. Eventually I moved the a/c controls to the lower shelf location and put in a 7" display in where the radio and a/c used to be.

I had two shelves for awhile and it was much better looking (and functional for sunglasses/phone etc...)than having the outdated looing cd holder. Eventually I moved the a/c controls to the lower shelf location and put in a 7" display in where the radio and a/c used to be.

Moving that panel looks like a PITA. However, what unit did you add in?

I have an extra upper tray that replaces the cd holder if you need one, Brand new still in plastic. Send me a PM.

Thanks, but already bought one.

Moving that panel looks like a PITA. However, what unit did you add in?

Actually, moving the A/C controls to the bottom was really easy, mostly a few screws and then unplug wires, reroute lower and replug. That said, prob no need to move it until/unless you wanted to replace the radio. I put in the Alpine IXA-W407 b/c I wanted iPod/iPhone and bluetooth integration (works great except for callers on other end hear some echo because Alpine and iPhone both have noise cancellation and they conflict. (the only PITA on this part was installing a new amp b/c of the MOST fiber optic. Actual amp install was straight forward, more the cost of buying an amp when all I really wanted was an integrated do all head unit)post-59058-0-65972500-1300738930_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I am about to replace my CD holder with a storage tray in my 2004 996 Cabriolet (BTW - The guys at Suncoast are great, knew exactly what I wanted, good price and got in a few a days later). I am also in the process of getting my CD-23 head unit updated from Becker Audio in NJ (via mailorder) in which they are going to add a 3.5mm jack to the back of the unit ($100 for the entire process - seems like a pretty good deal) so I can listen to music from my iphone/ipod.

I am thinking of putting the 3.5mm jack at the back of the one of the storage trays in my console, so it is not so obvious when you look at the unit/dash. Does anyone know how much room is from the back of the tray (depth from the back of the tray) to whatever is behind the tray in the console?

Many thanks - Steve

I put a stereo jack in the back of my storage tray. There's plenty of room behind there.

If you go that route, put the socket right in the vertical center of the back of the bin. I did mine too near the top to avoid cutting the rubber liner, and it's a pain to get the cord plugged in.

Because it costs around US$70 for the console tray down here in NZ, this is what I did to get a storage tray.

1. Remove the overall CD compartment

2. Remove the CD compartment from its faceplate

3. Remove individual CD tray from the CD compartment by pulling each one out.

4. This will leave the springs inside the compartment, which is a good thing as it stops whatever I put in there can't slid down to the bottom of the compartment.

5. Fit the faceplate back

6. Fit the whole thing back to the car

Many thanks for the advice/tip.

Regards - Steve

I put a stereo jack in the back of my storage tray. There's plenty of room behind there.

If you go that route, put the socket right in the vertical center of the back of the bin. I did mine too near the top to avoid cutting the rubber liner, and it's a pain to get the cord plugged in.

I replaced my CD holders with the shelf. A thought occurred to me (a mind is a dangerous thing) re: power outlets. I purchased a multi-power port (12V & USB) that I'm going to wire into the cigarette lighter to provide additional spots for GPS, Radar detector, phone charging etc. I plan to attach the port to the shelf with velcro and wire through back of shelf (out of sight). I'll still be able to put items in the tray, but have the added power ports.

I'll take some before / after photos to illustrate the process.

Have you done this yet as i'm fitting the second cubby in mine this weekend, Pics would also be cool and an explaination how you wired it...

• 1 month later...

Just finished installing the second tray as well as the upgrade from Becker Sound in NJ to add a 3.5mm connection to the CDR23 radio. As per the suggestion, I put the connector in the middle of the bottom tray which I also highly recommend. I now have amble space for my wallet/sunglasses/etc as well as music from my iPhone. I would recommend the following cable as the one that was supplied from Becker would not fit the female connector on my iPhone due to a protective case that I have on it.

I would recommend the following 3.5mm male-male cable which I bought from Amazon for $9 (plus it look much nicer - my interior is also black)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1ATG

Many thanks for the advice/tip.

Regards - Steve

This is a very simple modification but it works well, I left the CD holders in place, bought a length of 90 degree plastic moulding from the local hardware shop, added some velcro and some door draft tape and it slips in between the CD shelf and the radio housing above. Some velcro on the back of my GPS and thats it. If you want more photos of the bracket let me know.

post-1098-0-84335700-1308989220_thumb.jp

Edited by rattles

FWIW. I did a similar mounting but replaced the CD trays with an open storage cabinet first. And then wired the GPS audio and power into the back of the Becker head unit.

The GPS comes on with the car stereo. Using a large flash card I now have all of my media in the car at the touch of a button and my mobile phone works through the car speakers using Bluetooth.

Very easy modification and works better then I had expected.