Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone having problems with Durametric Beta V.6?

Thanks PKN, I also noticed that most of the computer requirements are standard and easily met but it also asy's that it requires a Duo Core processor which many of us using this on old laptops don't have. I am going to load it on my newer laptop and see how it runs.

• Admin

I've got six modules it doesnt see. My first attempt, It only saw 3 or 4, the Engine being one of them. I havent yet tried Durametric 5. Also havent tried updating the firmware on the cable.

If you do not have the updated cable then version 6 will not work properly.

The first time I ran it (with the new cable), it read the engine module and nothing else. The second time I tried running the short system check and it did OK until it got to the keyless entry system and stopped. The next time it got as far as PSM module then stopped and now gets as far as the electronics system check before it hangs. I am using a 1.6 Ghz laptop with nothing else in the background so something is a bit flakey. Maybe I have a driver conflict with something that starts at power up. V5 apparently runs OK with no problems. I will play some more next week to see what I can find out.

I get almost the same, V5 runs fine, but V6 hangs up on the electrical system check everytime doing the Short test (new cable just arrived this week). The first laptop I tried was slower than specified so I put it on my newer one, a Duo Core 2.0ghz and still no luck. Maybe I'll just have to wait for the next beta improvements. I shut off antivirus and all background programs to speed things up to no avail. V5 just doesn't have the modules I want to look at. Anyone know where the backup camera might be located in as far as modules go? Mine extends but I get a black screen on the PCM but still get the red letter warning statement.

• 1 month later...

By the way, can the vehicle be shutdown with the Durametic while it is moving? I saw one of the option to shutdown cylinders or something like that.....

I bought it last week to reset the airbag light. Now, I really don't know what else can I do with this thing that I just bought....

In the manual they warn about doing certain things with the Durametric while the vehicle is moving. Other than logging some Data I wouldn't mess with any of that stuff while the engine is running and definitely not while the vehicle is moving until you have read the complete manual.

The earlier beta-6 was somewhat buggy. I'd suggest DL'ing the latest (I think it's 6.0.8 - dated April 14th). I had similar results with the early beta version - and sometimes it could be coaxed to read other modules if I reset the instrument cluster (by pulling the cluster fuse - located in the left side fuse panel in the door opening.) The cluster apparently is also the "Gateway" - and until it can talk through the Gateway it can't access many of the other modules.

6.0.8 read EVERYTHING on my '06 without a hitch. And that's on an old IBM Thinkpad with a Pentium-III processor and WindowsXP - SP2. No need to reset the cluster either. I was even able to read the wiper module, and found there was an error on my rain-detector (which hadn't been working correctly) - after clearing the error the rain-detector works just fine.

One or two things that may help:

If your PC has WiFi - disable it for the session, it chews up quite a bit of processor. If you are using a laptop - plug it in. As someone here pointed out - when running on battery - many laptops slow down the processor to save power. Unload any unnecessary crap that gets loaded on startup.

I haven't tried the latest on my Netbook - but since it has about the same or more processing power as the old Thinkpad I suspect it should be OK. The interface does work reasonably well on a 10" screen on the Netbook - something I can't say for some other diagnostics programs that live on it.

I was quite impressed with the capabilities of 6.0.8 - the real time monitoring seems to work well, and the ability to read coding options (and change them if I knew what I was doing - and I don't..) might come in useful someday.

Edited by deilenberger
  • Upvote 1