Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tensioning Roller

How does one turn the tensioning roller to remove the serpentine belt? There is a 15 mm nut as a part of the assembly. Does one turn this nut and if so should one expect it to be REALLY hard to turn?

The top left photo in the DYI section clearly shows this nut. I figure anything I break is expensive so I want to make sure I have it right before I get started. I also asked this question in the follow-up in the DYI section but am not sure how often this gets checked so I thought I would ask here too.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Loren

I read this in the DYI sectoin:"3. Relieve drive belt (3). - To do this, turn the tensioning roller clockwise and simultaneously remove the belt from the drive pulleys. "

My question is, how do I turn the tensioning roller?

So I apply force to the 15 mm nut shown next to the tensioning roller shown in the top left photo in the DYI section, right? Is it spring loaded so it will snap back? I want to make sure so I do not break something?

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Sometimes I miss my 1970 MG Midget. Sure I had to fold myself in half to get in it and it might do 100 mph downhill but one could work on it (as I had to often) with a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench (and a hammer). Actually what I miss is a Haynes manual for the Porsche.

Mike

So I apply force to the 15 mm nut shown next to the tensioning roller shown in the top left photo in the DYI section, right? Is it spring loaded so it will snap back? I want to make sure so I do not break something?

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Sometimes I miss my 1970 MG Midget. Sure I had to fold myself in half to get in it and it might do 100 mph downhill but one could work on it (as I had to often) with a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench (and a hammer). Actually what I miss is a Haynes manual for the Porsche.

Mike

Mike:

It is spring loaded and it will snap back. When you put pressure on it, it relieves enough tension so as to enable you to pull off the belt. When you re-install, you again have to relieve the tension by pulling on it so that you can install the new belt.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice:

Thanks for the answer. I will twist on the 15 mm bolt and move it out of the way.

Mike

Mike:

Most people apply torque to the big nut (22mm, IIRC) in the middle of the pulley to move the spring-loaded arm. I'm not sure if the same would work with the 15mm bolt, but that may be an alternate way to release the tension on the belt.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice:

I just changed the belt and applied force to the 15 mm bolt that is a part of the arm attached to the tensioner, I suspect this is the purpose of the 15 mm bolt. It all went well but oddly enough it was harder to get the old belt out than it was to get the new one in.

Thanks again for the help. It was greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hi Maurice:

I just changed the belt and applied force to the 15 mm bolt that is a part of the arm attached to the tensioner, I suspect this is the purpose of the 15 mm bolt. It all went well but oddly enough it was harder to get the old belt out than it was to get the new one in.

Thanks again for the help. It was greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike:

Good work! I think next time you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed! cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

Make sure to check that the belt is correctly seated in all the correct grooves on each of the pulleys.

A couple more of these DIY's under your belt and it'll be just like the 1970 MG Midget!

Regards, Maurice.