Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

I had one RMS seal at 7K miles, and an IMS (InterMediate Shaft) seal at 33K miles. The IMS seal is right below the RMS seal and will show up as an oil leak exactly like an RMS seal. Unfortunately my IMS repair was improperly completed, and the car had to go in 2K miles later for another IMS seal.

Many times when either the IMS or RMS is found to be leaking, both seals are replaced. BTW, this is a relatively easy repair, with most experienced technicians being able to complete the task in under 3 hours.

It can happen but there are no odds on it either way at this point. Do you have the measurements your tech made on the area? Get them, I did. Mine was .24 out of round. If it's .30 or more, it's engine replacement. I also found out that just because it measures within tolerance at one time, does NOT mean it will stay that way.

Best of luck.

It can happen but there are no odds on it either way at this point.  Do you have the measurements your tech made on the area?  Get them, I did.  Mine was .24 out of round.  If it's .30 or more, it's engine replacement.  I also found out that just because it measures within tolerance at one time, does NOT mean it will stay that way.

Best of luck.

They're doing it next tuesday.

Just curious...

What does an RMS replacement cost. No oil leaks as yet and approaching 27,000 on my 99 C2?

Jim

RMS replacement is relatively cheap - $800 or so, mainly labor.

It is not the RMS replacement, it is what causes the RMS leak.

If it is just a leaky seal, the replacement is a snap and just some money.

If it is a leaky seal because the engine is misaligned and working the seal loose, it will lead to engine replacement (or failure).

Luckily, for most of us, it is just a leaky seal, and you could even drive with the leak for a while if you choose so.

Thx Henry...

I figured that it would be about a $1000.00. The seal is obviously one thing and a misaligned engine is the major issue but like I said, so far so good.

Thx guy...

Jim

If it is a leaky seal because the engine is misaligned and working the seal loose, it will lead to engine replacement (or failure).

Luckily, for most of us, it is just a leaky seal, and you could even drive with the leak for a while if you choose so.

C4s, sorry to hear about the leak.. Hopefully you will only have to take it in once.. But look on the bright side, it's still under warranty and now we all have something in common.. :)

Thx Henry...

I figured that it would be about a $1000.00. The seal is obviously one thing and a misaligned engine is the major issue but like I said, so far so good.

Thx guy...

Jim

At first I wa really upset. Now, I've come to deal with it, it';s an awsome car, I've run the ***** out of it, I love it. So what if it blows a seal, along as it's not a recurrent theme or motor.

But, I'm not sure I'd want a 996 out of warranty, still debating that one.