Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Emission Check Engine Light

Hello, I am new to Remmtech and a new Porsche owner. I have a 2000 Boxter S which I purchased from a friend. I am the third owner. I had the local Porshe shop do a prepurchase inspection and everything was up to speed. Both owners prior to me kept all service records and the car is in "like new" condition. While I was in the garage checking out the car I opened the fuel cap, just to check it out. The next day when I started the car the "check engine light" came on. I drove it today and the light remained on. Like I said before there are no issues with the car. I am thinking because I opened the fuel cap it may have tripped a sensor. Does anyone have any advice as to where I should go from here. Should I drive it down to the Porsche shop or is there something I can do to make the light go out. Thanks

Hello, I am new to Remmtech and a new Porsche owner. I have a 2000 Boxter S which I purchased from a friend. I am the third owner. I had the local Porshe shop do a prepurchase inspection and everything was up to speed. Both owners prior to me kept all service records and the car is in "like new" condition. While I was in the garage checking out the car I opened the fuel cap, just to check it out. The next day when I started the car the "check engine light" came on. I drove it today and the light remained on. Like I said before there are no issues with the car. I am thinking because I opened the fuel cap it may have tripped a sensor. Does anyone have any advice as to where I should go from here. Should I drive it down to the Porsche shop or is there something I can do to make the light go out. Thanks

If you have the 4 digit radio code you can remove the negative battery connection for 5 minutes then re-connect the battery. If the CEL light is not flashing you're not hurting anything. I'm not sure where Alpine Calif. is located but you may find a Renntech Board Member located nearby to check with their Durametric tool that may be able to give you a more complete diagnosis.

welcomeani.gif

If you have the 4 digit radio code you can remove the negative battery connection for 5 minutes then re-connect the battery. If the CEL light is not flashing you're not hurting anything. I'm not sure where Alpine Calif. is located but you may find a Renntech Board Member located nearby to check with their Durametric tool that may be able to give you a more complete diagnosis.

welcomeani.gif

Thank you Kbrandsma ! Yes I do have the 4 digit radio code. And I am assuming the negative battery connection is "negative"/black. And the CEL in not flashing. Alpine is in the back hills or San Diego County. Thanks again !!!

Or, you can go to Advance Auto Parts, catch them when it's not busy, tell them what you did, and they will clear the cose for you for free. You ca also buy any cheap OBD2 scanner that will clear it.

When you put the fuel cap back on did you tighten it at least three clicks? A fuel cap that isn't tightened will cause a CEL.

Hello, I tighten it only 2 clicks. But I did disconnect the neg battery cable for 5 min as instructed and that did the job. Thank you very much. Its no fun zippin around with a CEL on !