Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Bleeder Valve Leaking

2004 Boxster 95Kmi

Just swapped a new water pump, thermostat and a bunch of hoses. New porsche coolant and system is working well.

Noticed after a long drive, and coolant is hot, the trunk lid where covers the filler area is damped with coolant vapor.

Checked the bleeder valve, it's FLOATING up (as in it's the cooling system is losing pressure thru it). I think it's not suppose to do that. ??

Can this part be replaced without swapping the tank?

Found this PN on autoatlanta: 996-106-347-01 for $40.

post-21283-0-49838600-1303678869_thumb.j

Edited by mazmpv94

• Moderators

If you are refering the the small shaft under the bail moving up while the car is hot; yes, it is supposed to do that. More likely is that the cap is bad; what are the last two digits on your cap?

Edited by JFP in PA

Yes, the bail.  That makes me feel a bit better.

But there is clearly dry coolant encrusted around the 8 screws that anchors the bleeder valve to the reservoir, in addition to coolant vapor condensation all over the trunk lid.  Does that mean the bail failed?  Or do I just need to replace the O-rings, as suggested by wiki? 

http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Engine_%26_Transmission#Coolant_Bleeder_Valve_O-Ring_Replacement_Procedure_.28from_Porsche_Joe.29

The PN for the cap is 996 106 447 01, so I guess this is out of date since the latest version is 04?

I guess i'll just replace the orings and the cap, if you guys think the bail is working fine.

If you are refering the the small shaft under the bail moving up while the car is hot; yes, it is supposed to do that.  More likely is that the cap is bad; what are the last two digits on your cap?

• Moderators

I try cleaning up the bleeder valve and putting on a new cap, if the crud returns, you can easily rebuilt the unit, or just replace it; one word of caution: Be careful with the screws on the bleeder, they snap off if you look at them the wrong way.........

• 3 months later...

Did you manage to fix the leak?

My bleed valve was also showing signs of crusty deposits around the screws & misting on the boot lid. I changed the cap & o-rings but still get misting on the boot lid but no crusting around the bleeder screws yet.

When I pulled one of the screws out it took a spiral of the plastic housing with it. Can the housing be easily replaced or is there a trick to rethread the screw or a bigger screw with wider thread?

Thanks in advance.

To repair the stripped screw.

If it goes into metal you can try to helicoil or timesert it .

If it goes into plastic you'll probably need to replace whatever it screws into, whether that is the bleeder valve body or the coolant tank itself.

99610634702 bleeder valve 98-

99610614708 coolant expansion tank

With the following methods you'll need to be careful you don't damage the housing (i.e. compromise it's integrity) or get any material inside the tank.

Another possibility is to try epoxy or some other glue.

Or a larger self tapping screw that will tap into a wider piece of plastic.

Edited by logray