Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE Mufflers are always open

Hi,

For some days now, I can not control my PSE Mufflers (996 4S) anymore, they are always open.

I know, that the vacuum, that closes the mufflers are controlled by a solenoid valve. I have disconnected the terminals and took the voltage => 0V went to 12V when pressing the switch. So for me it seems, that the electrical control up to the solenoid works out fine.

Did anyone had a similar issue? What are the most likely parts, that could be affected. How can I test the solenoid valve itself?

Thanks for support!

Gert

• Admin

If any part of the (PSE) vacuum system is leaking then the actuation will not work.

You need to check the fittings and hoses for breaks as well as the canister (vacuum tank).

If it is happening the same on both sides then the leak is before the splitter tee.

• Moderators

+1 sounds like (no pun intended) on a Vacuum leak. Check the connections to the Vacuum storage tank behind the solenoid valve. Also make sure that none of the plastic vacuum lines aren't broken. Also try manually energizing the switch to see if you hear it clicking on and off.

Thanks for replies.

I tested the solenoid and could definitively hear a clear click, when energizing and deenergizing. So, unfotunately, the solenoid seems to work and this is not the problem (would be the easiest, I think).

But how can I check the hose system. I can not imagine, that the leaks are visible. Connected is everything as it should.

My idea to limit the leak is to start disconnecting at the beginnig (branch upstream the vacuum tank) of the system and feel at the open outlet, if there is vacuum or not (with running engine, of course).

If I feel vacuum, I go the a more downstream connection.

Is is possible to feel the vacuum? Maybe a stupid question: Is the vacuum for the PSE only? I can not see branches going to anything else!

Thanks one more!

Gert

• Moderators

Start by tracing the PSE vacuum lines back to their source on the engine. That is probably a vacuum takeoff next to the throttle body, then examine all of the lines for obvious cracks or disconnects. Be sure to check up on the mufflers where the baffle actuator is to make sure one of those lines did not come loose.

If you can get a hold of a hand vacuum pump you can connect it in place of the solenoid to see if you can get the baffles to close that way. If so that will help you trace down where the leak is.

Here are some pictures of my PSE install to help trace the lines

• 3 months later...

Meanwhile I could get hold of a pump.

I found one of the vacuum boxes, attached to the muffler is leaking.

However, this box is not sold separately for the 996, only the complete muffler.

In the 997 catalogue is a part no. for the vacuum box itself. I wonder, if I can use this for the 996 too? This box is about USD 80,- only

and to be honest, I would not like to buy a new muffler for more than USD 1.000,-, just for this "cheap" part!

Thanks a lot!

Gert

• Moderators

Meanwhile I could get hold of a pump.

I found one of the vacuum boxes, attached to the muffler is leaking.

However, this box is not sold separately for the 996, only the complete muffler.

In the 997 catalogue is a part no. for the vacuum box itself. I wonder, if I can use this for the 996 too? This box is about USD 80,- only

and to be honest, I would not like to buy a new muffler for more than USD 1.000,-, just for this "cheap" part!

Thanks a lot!

Gert

996 & 997 PSE baffle actuators are the same.

I just installed the 997 actuator and it works perfectly, thanks once more!

I found the length of the rod is adjustable and results into different opening positions of the flap inside the bypass!

Has anyone experienced sound differences out of this?

Thanks, Gert