Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing brakes?

Guys I would like to have your opinion, I have a standard boxster and want to upgrade my front brakes to boxster S brakes, is the worth the effort? I can get them pretty cheap although i have to remove them from a totall loss boxster S (looking for a how do you do it aswell! )

Your thoughts would be appreciated including a good DIY for removing them..

It is an easy swap. The Boxster S brakes are direct replacement on the front of the standard Boxster. There are multiple how to do sites on the internet. It requires swapping the Calipers and the rotors. You will need

to flush the brake lines and it would be a good time to look at the brake hoses and see if they need to be replaced. Just be sure you have clearance for the new rotors. I don't believe they will fit with 17" wheels but

should be OK with 18-19". The rear brakes are a different matter and require significantly more work and expense. Just not worth it since most braking is accomplished by the front brakes anyway. Unless you track

your Boxster, you probably won't see a great difference in braking with the upgrade as the base brakes are pretty darn good to start with. I did mine in an evening without any problem. I then refurbished my rear

calipers and painted them red to match.

Good luck.

I agree with mckinlay.

I can overpower the grip of the tire to the road almost any time with the stock 1997 brakes. I just can't do it 10 times a lap! I thought about upgrading to S brakes but it was going to be expensive. I haven't tracked the car yet, maybe someday. I did get new Zimmerman cad plated (to prevent rusty hubs) drilled rotors and Mintex pads. I am very happy with the performance. (S brakes are a bit heavier if you worry about that) If I came across a good set for a reasonable price I might upgrade them next time I needed new wheels/tires.

1997 2.5L

I agree with mckinlay.

I can overpower the grip of the tire to the road almost any time with the stock 1997 brakes. I just can't do it 10 times a lap! I thought about upgrading to S brakes but it was going to be expensive. I haven't tracked the car yet, maybe someday. I did get new Zimmerman cad plated (to prevent rusty hubs) drilled rotors and Mintex pads. I am very happy with the performance. (S brakes are a bit heavier if you worry about that) If I came across a good set for a reasonable price I might upgrade them next time I needed new wheels/tires.

1997 2.5L

My brakes are infact ok but my scarp yard offered me to change them with mine for €300,- with mine as trade-in, they are from a totalled S version, still thinking about it do...what more did you change on your car?

I agree with mckinlay.

1997 2.5L

My brakes are infact ok but my scarp yard offered me to change them with mine for €300,- with mine as trade-in, they are from a totalled S version, still thinking about it do...what more did you change on your car?

I'd advise against it. The S rotors are more expensive and wear both pad and rotor faster due to the cross-drilling. You'll also be interrupting the front-rear brake bias. Porsche designs their braking systems to exceed the car's capabilities, meaning that if you're experiencing fade, you either need to perform maintenance (flush the brake fluid, replace pads/rotors) or perhaps upgrade to a pad with more bite than stock, such as Pagid Yellow. You may want to re-evaluate your braking strategy if you're boiling the fluid in this car on a regular basis.

The stock Boxster's brakes are perfect in my mind. You can perform a full service (pads, rotors, fluid flush) DIY for about $450 USD, which is the same money it costs to do the job in my old Passat Wagon with floating calipers. Without a major power upgrade there's no need for more than the stock brakes have to offer.

Mark

Edited by number9ine

The stock Boxster's brakes are perfect in my mind. You can perform a full service (pads, rotors, fluid flush) DIY for about $450 USD, which is the same money it costs to do the job in my old Passat Wagon with floating calipers. Without a major power upgrade there's no need for more than the stock brakes have to offer.

Mark

Agreed thanks for your advise, wasn't aware of this, just of to buy the zimmermans then with red stuff blocks ..