Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Problem Locating 'Positive Terminal' in Fuse Box - Dead Batter

I have a dead battery in my 99 996. The hood is locked, and I have seen the information on how to jump the positive terminal in the fuse box - I have attached a pic of what should be there. However, when I opened my fuse box, I am not seeing a positive terminal in the attached pic. I tripled checked using pics and diagrams, and I had a friend check as well. Is this possible? I have tried searching for the part online as well, and I had no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

post-58129-0-34405400-1306095718_thumb.j

• Admin

I have a dead battery in my 99 996. The hood is locked, and I have seen the information on how to jump the positive terminal in the fuse box - I have attached a pic of what should be there. However, when I opened my fuse box, I am not seeing a positive terminal in the attached pic. I tripled checked using pics and diagrams, and I had a friend check as well. Is this possible? I have tried searching for the part online as well, and I had no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

You are going to have to use the emergency release cable - the terminal in the fuse box was not added until model year 2001.

You are going to have to use the emergency release cable - the terminal in the fuse box was not added until model year 2001.

Thanks Loren --- I was trying everything I could to not have to remove the wheel panel, as I have never done anything like that before. Do you think it would be possible to get a battery charger that hooked to the cigarette adapter that could give the battery enough charge to open the trunk? Thanks for your help!

• Admin

Thanks Loren --- I was trying everything I could to not have to remove the wheel panel, as I have never done anything like that before. Do you think it would be possible to get a battery charger that hooked to the cigarette adapter that could give the battery enough charge to open the trunk? Thanks for your help!

Yes, perhaps if you use the proper one. It will depend on if the battery has a dead cell. If you have a dead cell then no voltage across the battery.

In most cases you can grab the emergency wire with a simple hook tool.

Yes, perhaps if you use the proper one.

Would the charger/maintainer being sold on the renntech amazon store do what he wants to do?

Edited by tommy3rd

• Admin

Yes, perhaps if you use the proper one.

Would the charger/maintainer being sold on the renntech amazon store do what he wants to do?

Yes, as long as the battery has cell to cell conductivity.

Yes, perhaps if you use the proper one. It will depend on if the battery has a dead cell. If you have a dead cell then no voltage across the battery.

In most cases you can grab the emergency wire with a simple hook tool.

Sorry for earlier post. Posted by mistake from iPhone.

Re hook tool: u can make one from a coathanger. Just do one with small gauge wire first to get correct shape. Can also do this for gas flap release if cheap plastic emerg pull ring breaks off like mine did even though I never had to use it. Good luck

On the MY99 you can take a screwdriver between the front hood release handle and the rear engine release handle and move the cam that is stopping the release handle from being pulled up to release the hood.

On the MY99 when the battery dies, the cam under the release handles automatically moves into a position where it doesn't allow the handles to be pulled up. What you need to do is manually shift the cam with the screwdriver.

The release cable for the engine bay is under the left taillight. You can get to it by gently sliding a wedge between the bumper plastic and taillight housing. I used a rubber mixing bowl scraper. You will see the cable loop laying there. Fish it out with a thin wire hook.

Edited by fpb111

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I wanted to give a quick reply -- I did not want to venture to find the emergency release, so I order a Wagan EL9796 Easy Quick Jumper In-Car Jumpstarter. These connect to the cigarette lighters of a dead car and a donor. When I plugged them in, the car receive INSTANT power to open the hood. They did not supply enough power to charge the battery to starting power, but it definitely was enough to pop the hood. I will he holding the Wagan cables in the car in case this happens in the future. Thanks to everyone that gave some advise!