Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine/Camshaft tools

Just found these listings on eBay for tool sets for the 996 3.4 and 3.6 engines. One of the best prices I have seen for these tools.

Here is the one for the 3.4 engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Camshaft-Alignment-Tool-Kit-Boxster-911-996-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb85d2fecQQitemZ260791152620QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Seems to have two of the cam hold down tools for removing the cam cover. two tools for holding the cam in place after the cover is removed, OEM style cam allocation tool, TDC locking pin and what looks like the tools for installing the wrist pins when rebuilding the engine/installing the 1-3 pistons. At $599 (with another 5% off before May 31st) it is the lowest price I have seen for these tools, particularly when it includes the wrist pin tools.

Here is the one for the 3.6 (VarioCamPlus) engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Camshaft-Alignment-Tool-Kit-For-997-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb85d2feeQQitemZ260791152622QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

In this case it is only the cam allocation tools and a TDC locking pin. But only $155. You would still need the two sets of cam hold down tools.

Just thought I would post this for others doing work on their engines. I have a diagram and have made one of these tools, but the set for the 3.4 engine would have been very helpful when I had my cams out.

• Like 1

do any of these fit 996 c4s 2003? i am planning to change IMS bearing to LN. do I need these or is LN kit sufficient?

You can safely and effectively change the IMS bearing to the LN version without any camshaft locking tools.

Wayne Dempsey of Pelican Parts has come up with an ingenious way of locking the sprocket on the IMS tube (which is behind the IMS flange,just on the other side of the engine case) by using three 25mm long set screws that get substituted for the IMS flange bolts. Those set screws press against the face of the sprocket (which is inside the engine, on the other side of the case) and prevent the sprocket from moving (or altering the timing). Simple, effective and fool proof, and you don't even have to find TDC and use a locking pin.

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

thank you. I am right that PP still dont sell replacement kit? is there any trick to this simple locking solution? then again once i locked it I still need LN puller to get the bearing out

What a great Idea! That is neat!!

do any of these fit 996 c4s 2003? i am planning to change IMS bearing to LN. do I need these or is LN kit sufficient?

You can safely and effectively change the IMS bearing to the LN version without any camshaft locking tools.

Wayne Dempsey of Pelican Parts has come up with an ingenious way of locking the sprocket on the IMS tube (which is behind the IMS flange,just on the other side of the engine case) by using three 25mm long set screws that get substituted for the IMS flange bolts. Those set screws press against the face of the sprocket (which is inside the engine, on the other side of the case) and prevent the sprocket from moving (or altering the timing). Simple, effective and fool proof, and you don't even have to find TDC and use a locking pin.

Regards, Maurice.

• Moderators

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice, while Wayne's idea should work well on a five chain motor, I still think that not locking a three chain engine at TDC and using at least one set of cam locking tools is running a significant risk. The TDC tool can be fabricated for a couple of bucks at most in materials (5/16 metal rod and a drawer knob for the other end), and the LN "install kit" has the TDC tool and the cam locking tool as well at a reasonable price. I would also bet that there is a good market for a used LN install kit once you are done.......

Edited by JFP in PA

Regards, Maurice.

Hey Maurice, Wayne told us he was working on this some time ago. Do you have a link or more literature on his invention? I'm guessing some sort of stud that allows you to slide the ims cover off while the studs stay in place?

Regards, Maurice.

Hey Maurice, Wayne told us he was working on this some time ago. Do you have a link or more literature on his invention? I'm guessing some sort of stud that allows you to slide the ims cover off while the studs stay in place?

logray:

That's correct. Its a set of three M6 set screws with allen head recessed head which is flush with the sides of the bolt's threads. What we did was to remove one of the three IMS flange/cover bolts at a time and replaced it with the 25mm set screw, which then ends up flush with the aluminum face of the engine. Before you drive that set screw so as to lock the sprocket, you must first make sure that you are not driving the screw into one of the small holes that are arranged around the circumference of the sprocket on the IMS. You can see the face of the sprocket through the hole left by the removal of one of the original flange bolts so as to determine that the location of each of the three flange bolts does not end up on one of the holes in the sprocket (otherwise the set screw, if you continue to drive it, can end up inside the engine). After you have gently forced the set screws against the face of the sprocket (inside the engine) they end up flush with the face of the engine and you now have a sprocket and IMS tube that is locked and cannot move.

I just found the link to the article again...Here it is: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm

Look specifically in the section entitled "Bearing Removal".

Kudos to Wayne of Pelican Parts for publishing this remarkably simple and effective procedure. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice, while Wayne's idea should work well on a five chain motor, I still think that not locking a three chain engine at TDC and using at least one set of cam locking tools is running a significant risk. The TDC tool can be fabricated for a couple of bucks at most in materials (5/16 metal rod and a drawer knob for the other end), and the LN "install kit" has the TDC tool and the cam locking tool as well at a reasonable price. I would also bet that there is a good market for a used LN install kit once you are done.......

JFP:

I believe you are correct, but we didn't try it on a three chain engine.

We did it on 99 Boxster with 3.4 engine from a 996 and it worked without us having any doubt about its effectiveness.

Regards, Maurice.

• 6 years later...