Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Please identify dangling molex connector

2000 996 Coupe

This morning I found this loose connector hanging by the zip tie. I looked around but I could not see the device it is supposed to be plugged into. It had fallen pretty low below the engine but it is zip tied to a bundle of wires that just to the right of the air cleaner. Does anyone recognize it? Should I just cut it off and act like I never saw it?

post-41709-0-28068900-1309101316_thumb.j

post-41709-0-08145300-1309101336_thumb.j

I can't remember where I read about this and what it does (PSE or PSM or lighting or ???), but I wouldn't worry. I have the same connector on my car and it isn't connected, and the car runs fine. Just leave it tie wrapped to the harness out of the way of the serpentine belt and airbox.

Edited by logray

Can you pull the rubber boot off and check the wire colours:

Pin 1 orange and red?

Pin 2 brown?

Pin 6 violet and green?

If so, the wiring diagram says "Automatic Exhaust Gas Recirculation Examination".

I have seen the same plug on a UK car, but I don't know what it is for sure. On the one I saw it was a 1998, and UK cars were not fitted with secondary air pumps, so I assumed it was for that.

mystery_connector_1_147.jpg

Edited by Richard Hamilton

I assume it some kind of special diagnostic connection. DME 5.2.2 used in the C2 996 for MY1998-99 must be a bit of a hybrid. RoW cars are not OBD2 compliant, but US cars had the addition of the secondary air pump, post-cat lambda sensors, etc, to meet compliance standards. Perhaps there is some diagnostic requirement that isn't available via the "OBD2" port. Just my guess.

That sounds reasonable to me.

Perhaps the connector can activate or monitor the various SAI EGR system components, check valve solenoids, SAI pump and so forth that are not available via PST2/etc.

FWIW though, the connector is not part of the engine wiring loom.