Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99% the new 991 911 a Visual Treat

Hello fellows and Porsche lovers,

The wait was brutal and the anticipation newsworthy. Porsche and Apple are somehow similar in their business dealing...they make you wait and wait and wait and let you search and speculate until the last minute...then they tease you...make you drool a little more before finally releasing the next product or update. For all of us Porsche owners and iphone users you can relate. Perhaps some of you may have already seen some newer images of the 991 that have been released in the last couple days or so on a variety of sites. Well...I wanted to share with my Porsche community fellows a few pictures that were giving to me by a source extremely close to Porsche the company. Like I said, perhaps some of them have already been out there, but regardless, I got them, compiled them....and I am now happy to share them with you. I would love to hear your initial comments for those of you who are seeing these pictures for the first time. Personally I think that the wait was well worth it...both the regular Carrera and its more potent S sibling are a visual success. In my opinion...Porsche did it again....a great legendary car made even greater...visually I think that the car is spectacular, both on the outside and inside the cockpit...now lets wait for hands on the wheel to actually take our new 991 to the road.....but then again...can we expect anything less than a woaww smiling factor and driving experience once we can to that point??...I personally doubt it....drive1.gif

Enjoy!!

post-9048-0-33489600-1314459649_thumb.jp

post-9048-0-37466100-1314459692_thumb.jp

post-9048-0-96998900-1314459741_thumb.jp

post-9048-0-92273200-1314459767_thumb.jp

post-9048-0-39884600-1314459794_thumb.jp

post-9048-0-15853600-1314460011_thumb.jp

post-9048-0-89494900-1314460056_thumb.jp

post-9048-0-00060400-1314460096_thumb.jp

Edited by porschester

2012 Porsche 9911 Carrera S Review, Specs, & Pictures

It is no big secret that a redesigned seventh-generation 911 will appear in 2012. The 991 will premiere in 911 C2 and C2S forms, while the Turbo, C4, C4S, GTS, Black Edition, and 918 Spyder Edition variants continue in their current form for at least one more year. If history tells us anything about the future, which it always has a way of doing, the 991 will be available with all-wheel drive in 2013, Turbo and GT3 trims by 2014, and in GT2 guise by 2015, although Porsche may be pushing for an accelerated schedule.

Some will mutter that the 2012 911 hasn’t changed enough, but most will expect nothing less. Although its iconic shadow remains, big changes reside within. The new 991’s wheelbase stretches out a further 3.9 inches compared to the 997, but overall length has only grown by two inches. This means that the front and rear overhangs have been shortened and the engine sits more mid than rear compared to its predecessor. Rear legroom has also increased and the A-pillar and windshield have been pushed forward and thus have a stronger rake. Despite being bigger, the 991 weighs less than the 997 due to extensive use of aluminum.

Not only does the new 991 weigh less, engine changes produce more power while reducing fuel consumption and lowering emissions by 16 percent. The increase in efficiency comes from a host of new technologies including an automatic start-stop function, electrical system recuperation (most likely through the brakes), new electro-mechanical power steering, and the world’s first seven-speed (yes, that is a seven) manual transmission.

The engine in the base 911 Carrera shrinks in size from 3.6 to 3.4 liters but power is up five for an even 350 hp. The 911 Carrera needs only 4.4 seconds to sprint from a standing start to 60 mph with the PDK transmission. The optional Sport Chrono Package’s Launch Control function shaves that time down to 4.2 seconds. For comparison, Porsche says the outgoing 911 Carrera requires 4.5 seconds to accomplish the same feat. There is also a slight disparity in top speeds, with the 2012 Carrera besting the 2011 car by one mph with a top speed of 179 mph.

The 3.8-liter engine’s reworked internals in the S model help it produce 15 more horse for a total of 400. As would be expected, its times are a hair above the base car, requiring only 4.1 seconds with the normal PDK transmission and 3.9 seconds with the optional Sport Chrono Package to reach 60 from a stop. Top-track speed for the 911 Carrera S is 188 mph.

The new 911 features increased agility thanks to its wider front track and a reworked rear suspension. Porsche says steering feedback won’t be affected by the new electric steering but every Porschephile in the room should be worried that its nearly telepathic handling has been altered. Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), which first appeared on the 2011 Cayenne, helps reduce roll when cornering and keep the tires planted to the road.

Inspired by the Carrera GT, the interior of the 991 has also been heavily revised as well. It includes such features as a high-mounted gear selector and an instrument cluster with five round gauges, one of which holds a high-resolution multifunction screen.

The first new 911 models will arrive in February of 2012. The new 911 Carrera Coupe will have a base MSRP of $82,100, while the 911 Carrera S Coupe will start at $96,400.

Vehicle SpecsBase Price $96,400Engine 3.8-liter F-6Horsepower 400 hp @ 6,500 rpm (estimated)Torque 310 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm (estimated)Transmission 7-speed manual, 7-speed PDK0–60 mph 4.1 seconds PDK, 4.3 seconds manual (estimated)Top Speed 188 mph PDK, 190 mph manual (estimated)Weight 3,119 lb (estimated)Length 179 inches (estimated)Tires Front: 235/35ZR-19, Rear: 295/30ZR-19 (estimated)FOR New 991 generation debuts for 2012AGAINST Does the 911 need big changes?

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/NewsCenter/NewsCenterDetails.aspx?mmysid=4098

Over all I like it. Finally PDC sensors that don't stand out like ugly little warts but I don't like the black mirror stalks or the massive black covers in the driver/passengers footwell that I imagine are fuse block covers. The jury is still out on the bigger engine cover but I'll wait until I pic with the spoiler deployed. Thanks for the pics.

Overall the car looks more aggressive...both from the front and rear....the inside cabin has been refined a few notches with certain Panamera like elements while still keeping the dashboard somehow true to its 911 design legacy. Although Porsche makes the best use of every pony they include in the engine performance, I personally still think that both the regular and S 991's should have come with a little more HP....in my book I would have transferred those 385HP from the current 997S to the new 991...and gave lets say 435HP to the new 991S...lightbulb.gif...perhaps 991.2..we shall see.... I have all the intend with some blessings to get a 991 within 18months after it hits the showrooms.....my only concern is this quote: Porsche says steering feedback won't be affected by the new electric steering...but I will be test driving one...as soon as it hits the showrooms to compare the new electric steering feedback.

Edited by porschester

Looks much better than some of the earlier "spyshots" with the essential design elements still all 911. The back end will take some getting used to. I would definitely rebadge and leave out the P O R S C H E lettering. I like a simple 911 or in this case 991. The new console is excellent - my Panamera 4 had that new cockpit feel and was great. Still haven't finished breaking in my C4S but had it out on a windy country road again today and am still smiling two hours later.

Yes I agree removing the alphabet soup from the back would be the first thing I would do on mine when I get one....I agree that a simple 911 or Carrera S would be much classier...I wouldnt go for 991 as this is the series number...just like I wouldnt put 997 on the back on mine. The car also looks more dynamic and the wheels even tho they are 19inch the ones you see on the red one above make the wheels look more they are 20...a good visual trompe l oeil as 19 inch generally feel and drive much better than 20....so having a wheel design that make the wheels look bigger than their 19 inch size will definitely please a few of us. Again..looking at the comparative pix above. The back I think is very updated....Porsche almost gives us that woawww prototype factor and keeps it in its final production design....a definite treatclapping.gif

Edited by porschester

I agree with the other posters.. I love the car but not that badging.. It ruins that part of the car. That's an easy fix though. Those are definitely 20"s on the silver example. Guess I will do what I always do.. Buy one in four years for half price.rolleyes.gif Can't wait to see one in person. I'm sure I will be drooling..

• 2 weeks later...