Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997's & Built-in Cellphone

Hi, I picked up my 997S earlier today - I was able to get about an hours drive in before the snow started. It is awesome!!

My question is regarding the built-in cellphone - does anyone have any info on getting it working or if they think it will ever actually work. I love that little SIM card drawer. I tried one of my cards, but it didn't do anything, of course.

But if anyone knows anything, please post it.

Thanks,

Michael

Sorry, it is US-spec, but I'm unsure of the option. That's really my question, is it an option/part that needs to be added? And is it available on a US car?

I know my Range Rover has all the buttons, but the integrated option isn't available here in the US. I'm wondering the same about the 997, has anyone gotten it installed?

Thanks.

I hope they work. I worked on the implementation of the SIM card application for the stores atmy company. They said you would be able to just take the SIM out and move it around from device to deviceat that time. A little disappointed, I go through phones like 2 a year or so just to have the latest and greatest and always have to buy news SIM cards. Wait a minute, I thought we were supposed to be able to move these around....

I was switching from one GSM phone to another GSM phone.

As far as the Porsche cell phone setup, I am not sure what they are providing. The excuse used to be that it only worked on GSM phones. Not such an issue any longer and they 'should' be designed to work in the US. Otherwise, why the heck put it in cars delivered to the US market...

• Admin

If your install is a flat plate like the item below then you have the cell phone prep. If this is the case then you need to order the docking kit for a specific phone.

post-2-1106498770.gif

If your install looks like this (with docking) then you have the full option - but for what phone?

post-2-1106498822.jpg

It's for a 997, so I don't believe those illustrations apply. The 997, has a slot under the number pad that slides out and allows for a SIM card to be popped in.

The PCM manual doesn't mention a handset at all, everything seems to go through the PCM with that SIM card installed.

I don't believe bluetooth has actually been mentioned for the 997, or atleast there's nothing I can find -- that would be awesome if it did do it.

But I'd love to see the SIM activated.

Thanks.

• Admin
It's for a 997, so I don't believe those illustrations apply.  The 997, has a slot under the number pad that slides out and allows for a SIM card to be popped in.

The PCM manual doesn't mention a handset at all, everything seems to go through the PCM with that SIM card installed.

I don't believe bluetooth has actually been mentioned for the 997, or atleast there's nothing I can find -- that would be awesome if it did do it. 

But I'd love to see the SIM activated.

Thanks.

Okay - I didn't see you had PCM2 before. That is a different phone setup - but still requires another option (I666) and the optical cabling to make it work.

The Tequiment part numbers are:

997 044 900 71 Telephone Module PCM2

997 622 702 00 Optical Waveguide

or

997 622 703 00 Optical Waveguide w/ BOSE Sound System

This must be turned on with a shop PIWIS tester.

Edited by Loren

The 997/997S with PCM2 requires a yet to be released cell phone module. Last word was that it would be available through Tequipment in January. Does not look like that is happening. Probably a delay related to FCC clearance.

The 997/997S with PCM2 requires a yet to be released cell phone  module. Last word was that it would be available through Tequipment in January. Does not look like that is happening. Probably a delay related to FCC clearance.

The factory option 666 GSM phone modue has been available since Dec and is included on my inbound 997S.

The Tequipment retrofit module should be available soon Feb/Mar

Loren you list P/N 997 044 900 01

The module P/N I keep seeing is 997 044 900 71

Do you have the TSB for the install? It does not appear in the doc repository on eDCS, at least I can't find it. If you do could you toss a copy my way?

• Admin
The 997/997S with PCM2 requires a yet to be released cell phone  module. Last word was that it would be available through Tequipment in January. Does not look like that is happening. Probably a delay related to FCC clearance.

The factory option 666 GSM phone modue has been available since Dec and is included on my inbound 997S.

The Tequipment retrofit module should be available soon Feb/Mar

Loren you list P/N 997 044 900 01

The module P/N I keep seeing is 997 044 900 71

Do you have the TSB for the install? It does not appear in the doc repository on eDCS, at least I can't find it. If you do could you toss a copy my way?

:oops: my mistake - the correct part number is: 997 044 900 71

I just saw 7 "yet to be approved for US market" TSBs and none of them had anything to do with the phone. I'll keep my eyes open.

LOREN:

Will you be adding the TSBs to the TSB list for 997? I keep seeing references to TSBs for installation of various things and other service issues, but there has never been more than the one TSB for the front suspension shipping blocks for the 997 listed in the TSB section.

Thanks in advance.

• Admin

LOREN: 

Will you be adding the TSBs to the TSB list for 997? I keep seeing references to TSBs for installation of various things and other service issues, but there has never been more than the one TSB for the front suspension shipping blocks for the 997 listed in the TSB section. 

Thanks in advance. 

I'll add them as I get them. I've seen about 6 additional TSBs for 997s but they are released only for Europe at this point. To avoid confusion I am only adding PCNA TSBs. Most (but not all) are the same as RoW/Europe albeit PCNA TSBs are usually about a month after later in release.

I do not have a reliable source for RoW/Europe TSBs at this time. If I buy them somewhere in Europe and have them shipped here then they likely arrive at the same time as the PCNA version (at three times the cost).

Loren

Thanks for the response. I will look for them soon.

Have you seen the postings on other forums about a recall of some 997s in UK for check of improperly machined crankcase castings causing failure at intermediate shaft bearing?

Sorry, it is US-spec, but I'm unsure of the option.  That's really my question, is it an option/part that needs to be added?  And is it available on a US car?

I know my Range Rover has all the buttons, but the integrated option isn't available here in the US.  I'm wondering the same about the 997, has anyone gotten it installed?

Thanks.

My '03 Range Rover, like yours, has all the non-functioning phone buttons on the steering wheel. The '05 US Range Rovers & LR3's have or will shortly have available any one of 4 Nokia Bluetooth candy bar GSM phones integrated into the vehicle without SIM card removal.

With GSM sevice being locally quite inferior to CDMA, I am intending to install a power & antenna wired phone cradle for my Verizon/Motorola v710 Bluetooth phone either to the right of the screen in the upper console or in the console bin of my 997 arriving mid February. I intend to operate the phone through my Bluetooth headset or a Motorola Bluetooth hands free set up. I will post pictures of the install.

Hi Richard, if you added full leather, navigation, colored crests & the designations we'd have the same 911's & 2003 RR's!

Sorry, it is US-spec, but I'm unsure of the option.  That's really my question, is it an option/part that needs to be added?  And is it available on a US car?

I know my Range Rover has all the buttons, but the integrated option isn't available here in the US.  I'm wondering the same about the 997, has anyone gotten it installed?

Thanks.

My '03 Range Rover, like yours, has all the non-functioning phone buttons on the steering wheel. The '05 US Range Rovers & LR3's have or will shortly have available any one of 4 Nokia Bluetooth candy bar GSM phones integrated into the vehicle without SIM card removal.

With GSM sevice being locally quite inferior to CDMA, I am intending to install a power & antenna wired phone cradle for my Verizon/Motorola v710 Bluetooth phone either to the right of the screen in the upper console or in the console bin of my 997 arriving mid February. I intend to operate the phone through my Bluetooth headset or a Motorola Bluetooth hands free set up. I will post pictures of the install.

Edited by Loren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently ordered these parts to add the phone option to my new 997 S Cab.

My car has the Bose sound System & the cd changer, is this the cable I need?

"997 622 703 00 Optical Waveguide w/ BOSE Sound System"

Or is there a third cable that was not listed above?

Is there a TSB on this phone module? My dealer didn't even know that such a part existed or was possible to order. I just want to make sure when I bring them the parts, they know what to do to put them in. There must be some sort of installation instructions somewhere?

Thanks

There are a couple of different phone options do you know the option number or part number?

997 044 900 71 Telephone Module PCM2

I am planning on using the GSM SIM drawer installed in the car & Installing the phone module & correct optical wave guide.

I have read on other forums that there are 400+ time units necessary for install, thus the reason I was inquiring as to the availability of any documentations relating to the install. I notice the DVD NAV TSB requires many other parts than the optical cable & nav unit and am not sure if I drop the phone module & cable off at my dealer that they will have any clue what to do with them or what other parts are necessary to fit the option.

The TSB is 2/05 9155 and is available in the document repository area of your dealers eDCS

TU for install are 460

Did you order individual parts or the kit?

The kit should contain all necessary parts minus the correct optical waveguide. ie: holder for module, module, microphone, antenna & holder, wire harness (antenna lead & mic lead) and misc asst parts.