Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Opinion on 08 or 09 Cayenne

I own a 99 996 and thinking of selling my 01Yukon and buying a 08 or 09 Cayenne. I do all of the work on my 996 and was looking to get opinions on the 08 and 09 Cayennes. I've surfed the forum for problems with the 08 and 09's but most threads relate to older models.

How is the power and response with the V6. I don't expect it to be a sports car. I use it mostly for highway driving.

What are the major problems, likes, and dislikes. i've read about the cooling pipes on the earlier models.

If you have worked on them how do they compare with working on a 996.

I appreciate your opinion.

Dave T

I had an 08 base and now an 09 GTS Cayenne.

If you want NAV, the 09 is a must with PCM 3.

Power wise, base is more than adequate if you are solo... Fill it up with people and "stuff" and you start to want a larger engine. When gas gets expensive again the v6 is less painful for sure!

Can't really help on the maintenance side, still under warranty and nothing has ever broke.

The general rule is to get the newer Porsche you can. We just bought a 08 CS and love it! The reason I would suggest 09+ is because of the PCM 3. We could have gone w/ a base V6, but living in CO at 6000 ft and mountain drives, we needed the V8. But, once you drive the V8, you will not want to go to V6. :)

• Upvote 1

When my 08 was at the oil service dealer gave my V6 loaner and I could believe how much slower the V6 is, ... feels lighter, which is the good thing but you have nothing special under the gas pedal, ... get the S if you want true Porsche engine SUV, otherwise save money and buy V6 VW Toureg

Thanks for the feedback. I convinced myself to go for an 09. Still wrestling with the V6 or V8. I live in Florida so climbing in the mountains isn't a problem. Usually only 2 people in it so loading it up with people and stuff isn't a normal occurance. Leaning toward the V8 but I'll have to drive both before I make my decision.

Thanks again

I own a Cayenne and a 996. What I can tell you about DIY maintenance is that the 996 is MUCH easier to work on than the Cayenne. There are some DIY projects you can tackle with the Cayenne, and you can change your own oil, but it's not like the 996.

I have driven them all and chose the V6 because it met all of my needs. The V8 and V6 have the same tow ratings and fuel milage isn't something to bring into the picture when you're dealing with a 5500lb SUV. I think the V6 has enough torque for city driving and the only time I wish it had another 50hp or so was when I am passing people on my local single lane rubbish highways.

I have a 2005 model and also drove a 2008 and 2011 V6 which was excellent in the power department in my opinion.

Still deciding between the 08 and 09. I have decided on the S for the V8. I drove one the other day and it was awsome.

I would expect the Cayenne to be harder to work on than the 996. That is why I would like to get an 09. It would still have a warranty for a while to shake out any problems.

Problem is there just aren't a lot of 09's out there for sale, but there are plenty of 08, so I may go with a low mileage 08 and after market warranty. The navagation system isn't important to me so other than that I read and hear that they are the same vehicle.

Time to start serious shopping. Thanks again for the feedback.

• 2 months later...

V8 or V8 Turbo....those are the only options in my mind.

V6 get's just as bad of gas mileage....

When i was looking to get my Cayenne i decided on a Turbo over the NA V8....same mileage but if i need the extra power i have plenty left. Also, when i was looking i made the decision that i'm buying a Porsche SUV.....if i wanted a slower SUV i wouldn't be looking at a porsche...

I have a road legal track car so i have no reason to go fast with the cayenne.....but if/when i want to go, i don't have to think if the V6 can move my 5500lb car down the road.

And with the price of Cayenne's dropping quickly, you might as well step up to the larger engines.

• 4 weeks later...