Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gear indicator stays in D aftera couple of minutes driving

When i start my car up the gear indicator works fine and goes through all of the stages P,N,R,D even shows what gear its on d2 d3 but after a couple of minutes driving it changes to an inverted color D(picture a little block with the d inside) and if i put the car in any other gear including P or manual it dosent change. It only goes back to normal when i restart the car.... Any ideas? This is on a 2008 cayenne S (leaking a little coolant not sure if related)

Edited by lore2486

Any other strange electrical occurrences?

If so, then you likely have a weak battery.

i had a weak battery but i just got a new onne 3 days ago and the problem is still there. i took a picture of the D im talking about ill uploade it later

639af08e.jpg

there you can see that the D is inverted colors of the regular one, also my durametric says theres a code on my tranny having t do with dme something about test values not finalized. ill verify the code and post it later

Edited by lore2486

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have this exact same issue. 2008 Cayenne S Tip.

The vehicle was just at the dealer last week for a full inspection and no fault codes were reported. This issue just started yesterday. The transmission seems to function properly: i can shift manually, and Sport mode and regular mode seem to work properly, but it never indicates what gear it is in, Just the 'D' in an orange square (just like the picture above).

The engine starts right up (even though it is -20 here now) so I'd be surprised if the battery was weak.

Any other thoughts?

thanks,

John

• 9 months later...

I had a similar experience, in the dealer major service a day ago, now I drive 20km and get the same picture as above. Its a 2005 Cayenne S.

Switched off problem went away drove another 20km and the display changed again to the D with a backlit box. Spoke to the dealer and they said to come in and they would hook it up.

I have the car on charge whilst I am away (which is a lot) with the porsche trickle charger and normally weak battery the 4wd indicator on the dash shows up. Nothing like that.

Shifting is a bit rough and the car surges a bit on start up idle

ANSWER

I took the car back to the dealer ship. They ran diagnostics. It turned out the technician had not plugged on a sensor properly. All resolved now.

Edited by richardshayes

I had exactly this problem after getting coolant into the switch on the side of the tranny under the car. Flush the mechanism with water and let it dry out. Mine came back to normal but you need to fix any leaks you have or it will come back. I have also had a similar problem after getting a nickel inside the console. I had to take the whole thing apart to get it out!

Good luck

Steve

• 6 years later...